Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just in: Guitar Center is closed

Remember the good old days ?

Use to complain about GC not having the newest keyboard in a 88 size.

Or the MODX was not plugged in.

I had to bring my own headphones because the GC headphones were...

Or too many 8 year olds running around smacking the keys on $3000 keyboards.

Or the keyboard section shared a thin wall with the drum department

Or the salesman couldn't discuss the intricacies of the sequencer.

Or I could order it on line cheaper.

Or the trade in value of my 20 year old Triton was weak.

I know, I like nostalgia. ;D

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke a D string (.024) on my Telecaster. Currently using an .026 bronze acoustic string while I wait for Amazon to bring me new electric strings.

Oh wait - wrong forum. :facepalm::hider:

dB

I hear you. I had a stickey key on my XS Motif and. posted that on the Guitar forum.

Nobody cared ! :sob:

[70's Songwriter]

Closed permanently?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/pages/COVID-19-Announcements.gc

I didn't read the whole thing, but it seems they closed like any other non-essential business out there.

more importantly, trying to find someone who can predict the future.

Going to post that on CraigsList . With me luck. ;)

[70's Songwriter]

And why does the G# key on every sax stick? Oh, right ...

not only that.

One time, I tried a Fantom at a GC and it was not. running in stereo !$#@

[70's Songwriter]

I noticed that the list of online used Kurzweils went from 10-20 to three. Then I noticed that I could no longer query stores within visiting range for used gear either. It took me a while to figger out that it was a coronavirus thing. Unfortunately, the note from their CEO is one of the, um, less clear3 communications I have read recently.

I (selfishly) wish them the best. They've treated me very well on used instruments, as both a seller and a buyer.

I still get Daily Pick notices from them, so their online presence is only slightly diminished.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Yeah, if you are into buying used stuff, they are a resource to be missed for sure. Decent selection (though sometimes prices can vary, may have to wait for a specific item) but mostly it's peace of mind--being able to return locally for any reason for at least 30 days (45?). Take the thing out, try it on a couple gigs, and if it's not your deal, take it back. I had to return two items: a busted pc361 that was a victim of UPS before I ever played it, and a Korg cx3 that just double-triggered too much. No hassles either time and I really appreciated that.

I used to hate radio shack. Now that they're totally gone I cant get a pot, jack, resister or solder without ordering from far far away.
I felt the same way but then discovered a local business here called Gateway Electronics that is about 100 times better than RS ever was! I'm like a kid in a candy store in that place. Need a 35V 100 microfarad axial electrolytic capacitor? You can literally just look it up in order on the shelves ordered by specifications and find a bin full of them. Need a specific ribbon cable? 180 or 90 degree header? one end or both? How many conductors? Got it. I once needed a very special power supply that I couldn't find and they ended up digging it out of a bin. LOVE LOVE LOVE that place! Don't know if they are open during these times or not.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

My buddie's sister works for Guitar Center headquarters and she's said for years most of their business comes from online sales, so closing stores is sad especially for the employees, but GC should do okay without them for now.

How am I going to get to audition all the HARBINGER gear I want to try?

(Sorry)!

I used to hate radio shack. Now that they're totally gone I cant get a pot, jack, resister or solder without ordering from far far away.

I hear that. I went searching for a pot for my Ibanez bass and found it on Mouser. I ordered it on Feb 2. They had zero stock so it's coming from China â I might have it by June or July! (Of course the chance that even back in the day a Rat Shack would have this particular pot is zero).

My buddie's sister works for Guitar Center headquarters and she's said for years most of their business comes from online sales, so closing stores is sad especially for the employees, but GC should do okay without them for now.

I have enjoyed GC's online service and telesales in Indiana. Very organized, responsive , great pricing.

Perhaps with the current crisis, they can end the costly leases on many of their brick and mortar stores, or largely downsize the store count. I doubt many of these locations

can standalone and justify a month to month/year to year operation.

The online/telesales operation should be sustainable. In theory, of course.

[70's Songwriter]

How am I going to get to audition all the HARBINGER gear I want to try?

(Sorry)!

I hear that. I went searching for a pot for my Ibanez bass and found it on Mouser. I ordered it on Feb 2. They had zero stock so it's coming from China â I might have it by June or July! (Of course the chance that even back in the day a Rat Shack would have this particular pot is zero).

call me Captain Obvious, but I believe we are going to be in " DIY " Mode for many months. Mr Fixit is not a skill I have.

I think there is a great business opportunity, for folks that are handy with a solder gun and a schematic.

[70's Songwriter]

It's the standard covid19 posture for retail and GC is extending sick leave for employees affected by the virus. They aren't closing stores permanently.

Instrument repair shops are closed and I haven't been able to take my Fantom in for service. The owner of one of the shops agreed to meet me tomorrow AM, so I can get this thing into the parts queue.

I have enjoyed GC's online service and telesales in Indiana. Very organized, responsive , great pricing.

Perhaps with the current crisis, they can end the costly leases on many of their brick and mortar stores, or largely downsize the store count. I doubt many of these locations

can standalone and justify a month to month/year to year operation.

The online/telesales operation should be sustainable. In theory, of course.

Many of the brick and mortar stores double as warehouse and distribution locations to have products spread out regionally.

Not likely they're going out of business. Since online sales tax is charged they've had a revival AFAIK. I've always appreciated their local stores, can return items witnout having to ship, and with a 45 day return that's sweet, esp for larger items. They also have the largest used inventory I know of, perhaps larger than Reverb? And, the local SF store has always had a decent inventory of keyboards.

Unfortunately, their former policy of free shipping for used items has stopped, you want it you pay for the shipping. That was one of the best deals out there, having used gear shipped for free PLUS 45 day return window. Oh well, I think they were hemorrhaging money and bending over backwards just to stay relevant, and now that they're playing on an even playing field because of online sales tax being charged, it looks like they walked back that more-than-generous free shipping policy.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Yeah, I figured GC was closed for now when looking for audio cables, I did a query on stores within a 50 mile radius and got nothing.

Thankfully, eBay is still open for business. I bought some outboard gear last week.

The seller in Cali was able to ship them out. I received the package Monday. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

This. Pisses me off....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Where will I go to now to hear kids riffing on Stairway to Heaven and Sweet Home Alabama on a Squier Strat played through a Blackstone amp?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Where will I go to now to hear kids riffing on Stairway to Heaven and Sweet Home Alabama on a Squier Strat played through a Blackstone amp?
Worse yet, How can I tell if the Williams(1) Allegro is better than a Kurzweil PC4? :keys2:

(1) No Relation.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

That reminds me: I wonder what is up at Fry's? The one by me looked like it was in the final week of a going-out-of-business sale, and that was back before Christmas. The employees looked like they were there just killing time.

That reminds me: I wonder what is up at Fry's? The one by me looked like it was in the final week of a going-out-of-business sale, and that was back before Christmas. The employees looked like they were there just killing time.

"Fry"s is in the process of transitioning to a vendor/consignment model.' https://www.ocregister.com/2020/02/26/do-new-frys-closures-signal-the-companys-end/
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I asked a sales manager point blank and he said they are competitors but that they do share a warehouse. I pointed out that I sometimes get packages from MF or WWBW (or vice-versa) that were ordered through GC. Music123 seems to have diminished but also seemed related. Music & Arts was a small chain of actual stores with an on-line presence, that GC bought a decade or more ago.

Before on-line sales tax kicked in fairly broadly, it seems that the main purpose of maintaining all of these sites was to have different states for each one and therefore ways of avoiding sales tax depending on where you live. As the websites got overhauled, they seemed to finally share the same design, layout, information, and occasionally even the same user reviews. It remains a bit of a mystery.

Gear Nuts on eBay is the same as Sweetwater. And Austin Bazaar, if they still exist, is the same thing as another one whose name I forget as I haven't shopped either in many years now.

I think American Musical Supply and Zzounds are the same thing too, but I haven't seen much if anything from the latter for some time now. I even thought AMS might be a Sweetwater alias for a while, as they have similar website layouts and presentation styles, as well as both showing actual serial numbers as separate postings -- a bit annoying at times though, as it takes longer to suss out individual models vs. colours.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

What will happen to all of those Guitar Center coupons that exclude every brand of product I would ever actually consider buying?

What will happen to all the bro tourists in Times Square who depend on Guitar Center's 28,000 square foot guitar department to rock out next to each other in the most densely populated place on earth?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries