Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synth recommendation please - to fit criteria

Long post - but gives the full picture.

I have had a Modal Argon8M on pre-order since Jan - but obviously due to the current situation they are still not available - and probably wont be for a while - so I have cancelled that order for now. It may be the only thing that works for me - but maybe not so im after advice on other suitable kit.

Current rig is:

1. RD2000 - Pianos, Clave, EPs primarily. Some strings and pads (basic ones) and as a control board.

2. Legend EXP module - errr, for organs.

3. FA07 - basic VA synth primarily. Its not that easy to program with menu's but I like that each osc can have its own filter and Env/LFO. There is enough int he presets that I can find most of what I need and just fine tune so the programability isnt that big a deal. The more Rompler sounds are decent enough as well. I also use the sampler (its basic but is plenty for me).

4. Novation Peak - for the more traditional analogue (almost) poly stuff. Knob per function (again almost).

5. -- stand. I mount these on a 3 tier K&M 18820. RD2000 on the bottom, FA07 in the middle, then a shelf with a 1U line mixer, and midi splitter mounted below it for the modules.

So - why am I looking for something else?

1. Primarily for a programmable arpegiator (yes the FA has one, but its not step - you have to real time play it into the sequencer, export the sequence to the Arp - it does work but its not ideal). Step programming preferable.

2. Step sequencer (again the FAs isnt step as far as I know).

3. Adding something I dont have - in the Argons case wavetables (well the peak kind of does, but its basic).

What are the restrictions.

1. Id like to add something with as little crossover as I can BUT it doesnt have to be wavetables - could be FM, or granular - or even a totally different flavor of subtractive synth compared to Peak etc.

2. SIZE.... The big one. I have 385mm width available (perfect as thats the size of the ArgonM) - but at a push I could stretch it to 430mm ish. More than that and Id have to rehouse the organ module somehow.

3. Im a LIVE player first and foremost., I dont use soft synths and what I have has to work in a set/band environment (functionally) and be mountable on the one stand (or at least in the same footprint).

4. FX. id like as many built in but particularly phaser/flanger/delay/reverb/chorus - those are high on the like list - though not strictly must haves.

What did I consider and why did I not go that way

1. Argon8 - obviously, seemed to pretty much fit - but availability........

2. Minilogue XD. - a lot of crossover with Peak, and its too long at 500mm

3. Hydrasynth - the module COULD be made to fit, BUT you cant save arp patterns, even though you can create them. As Im designing patterns for sons live thats a must really.

4. DSi Rev 2 - lots of crossover. Too wide at 530mm

5. Deep Mind 6/12- again too wide really.

6. Blofeld. Not keen on the 6 knobs and menu diving really, and its old. Not sure how the FX hold up either.

Anything considered other than synths?

1. Digitakt - not really synth but has the arp/sequencer and is a better sampler than the FA. As a live player - and primarily "band" songs not sure its really a fit with its other abilities.

2. Beatstep pro - this one just provides the arp/sequencer. Its possible but Id rather add sounds as well if I could. Might be the way to go for now though.

So, given all that information - is there anything Ive not considered that might fit the bill? If not, is there anything on the options I HAVE considered making them more suitable? and any of the "longer" options worth the faff top find a side mount for the organ module? If so - what are the options to side mount the Legend (apart from a longer top shelf - though Im not completely ruling that out). Is it just worth picking up the arp/sequencer (beatstep or alternatives) and forgetting about the sound generation? Should I just wait and get the Argon if/when China starts exporting again?

Any incite/suggestions/thoughts most welcome.

Roland RD2000, FA07 (soon to be Fantom7), Legend EXP, Peak, Virus Ti2 Desktop.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh - I did mention the Minilogue - size it the problem - its 500mm. Its actually exactly the same width as the keyboard version - its just not as deep. Depth isnt the problem though, so If I got the Monologue Id go for the keys version - its actually cheaper and gives a playing surface. Just finding the extra space is NOT going to be easy.

That was what I was trying to fit in somehow when I got wind of the Argon. the argon size just works - and it it wasnt for Covid Id have that by now :(

The FA does do step sequencing!

[video:youtube]

I checked just now and was appalled to learn it does not do step editing of arpeggios. I have the JUNO-G which is kind of the predecessor and it does that.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Well, kind of. Its not the easiest workflow. and I still need to then import that into the arp feature, then use that arp to control an external device. Its a bit long winded, though at least possible.

Id still prefer something more intuitive - and its an excuse for more gear :)

I was going to suggest the Korg Wavestate, which is arps on proverbial steroids, but your limits are at 15 5/32 inches and its a bit over 22. DRAT! :laugh:

My advice: go back to the Argon8 idea and be patient. Its a potent choice. Also download the editor for it, because it has a lot going on under the hood the price-point hardware doesn't hand you up front. That includes deeper arp controls. There is also a new $819 retail 5-octave model just out, which will please some players. Its gonna be popular and supported for a decent period.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I'm not sure you're going to find a decent keyboard-based solution that size. The only possibility I see with a keyboard-based system is the new Roli Lumi, which is a 2octave controller with absolutely no bezel. It's iOS based, but software includes a sequencer and I BELIEVE an arpeggiator (not sure about that). If you're willing to go even smaller (without a keyboard), you could get a Roli Light Block which has exactly the same features, but is a grid about the size of a novel. It has the added feature of being MPE.

The very far end of the spectrum is no device at all, just an iPad. There are plenty of apps that do what you are looking for. With your space considerations, that may be the easiest solution.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

all the units Im looking at are keyboard-less. there all the desktop/module versions. the Roli wont work for me though - as I need to play it via my RD or FA. I need a proper keyboard in that respect and the Roli doesn't from what I can see - its built for use with other Roli products.

RE Tablet - not a chance. I wont use soft stuff, Im a pure hardware player live. I do have a few bits on the PC for DAW work, but wont touch it live.

470mm wide - too big for my space, unless I can find a way of mounting the Organ module off the top shelf. worth thinking about if I can though.....

OR NOT - there is no programmable arpegiator, which is the whole point.

OK - Ill look further. did a quick search and it came up with "monophonic".

Not quite sure what separates para-phonic from polyphonic - but Ill have a look.

Add another keyboard stand and get the MFB Dominion One ... ( just kidding ... not really).

Get a Roland Boutique if you want something now. SE-02 is up to 16 steps. It doesn"t suck. Will store 128 sequences??? I think.

I"d personally ditch the size requirement and get something good or wait for the Argon and go with you original plan.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

OK - Microfreak.

couple of negatives.

1. No FX by looks of it - which is a pain. Not completely unworkable, but I like delay, chorus, reverb phase and flange onboard my synths if at all possible.

2. The Arp isnt really programmable. The workaround seems to be use the step sequencer, as that is transportable - either as you play or while "latched" using the shift button. It really needs that shift button to be latchable though - as I would run the arp, play another synth, then transpose the arp BUT I may only have one hand available. Latching the shift while running the sequence means one finger and the running sequence transposes. That needs thinking about - I may or may not find a way that works for me.

2. The "Paraphonic" is now apparent. Its a single oscillator 4 voice poly really (in all but name) - bu mean no mixing of waveforms. You can use the VA engine to create a twin detuned oscillator, but its a copy of the first - so couldnt have a triangle under a saw.

The positives.

1. Size fits my needs

2. Polyphonic AT keys - which I could use to control other synths I have that have Poly AT as an external control.

3. Price - there really is a LOT in there for the money.

It may well actually work, but I need to think about some stuff, and do a little more research. Personally - with real keys (same size as the touch ones), an FX engine, twin Oscoilators per voice rather than a single, and a proper programmable arp (or that locking shift key and use the sequencer) and it would actually be perfect. Id pay twice the asking price for that. However, it is what it is - and everything is a compromise somewhere (ie unless your the designer no synth is perfect). Definitely glad it was suggested. Still open to other suggestions though.

Add another keyboard stand and get the MFB Dominion One ... ( just kidding ... not really).

Get a Roland Boutique if you want something now. SE-02 is up to 16 steps. It doesn"t suck. Will store 128 sequences??? I think.

I"d personally ditch the size requirement and get something good or wait for the Argon and go with you original plan.

Unfortunately the size requirement is dictated by the space on my top tier shelf. There is not other mounting place live, and I have no more space in my small music room either. As I say, if I can find a way to mount my organ module side on somehow - then that frees up more space (up to 700mm). That is something Im looking into as well.

RE SE-02. Again its not a poly or that would fit the bill as well.

Maybe I should consider a monosynth? I dont have one. It just puts me off as Id be pretty much only be able to use it for arps and leads - but I probably have enough elsewhere to do that. Obviously adding the Wavetable synthesis, or FM or granular would add tonal canvas I dont have access to at present - but If I just concentrate on the arp sounds from this new box?

I know some of the Behringer monosynths have a poly-chain option for connecting multiples together. Then again that's more than one module.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

The Behringer Crave is within the size requirements. It has a single CEM3340 VCO similar to a Prophet 5 oscillator, Model D Highpass/Lowpass Ladder Filter, Step Sequencer, Arpeggiator and it can be poly-chained. Perfect Circuit Audio has it for $199.99. Thomann has it for £144.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

D-05 is discontinued. I gig with mine. Those things are priced twice what I bought mine new for. It"s poly. It"s a D-50. Sounds better than my original D-50 but with less gain. I don"t use the arpeggiator or step sequencer. Just amazed what the street price is. The other boutiques have the step sequencers. My D-05 is racked and powered by a usb phone charger. Sounds killer but I have to max out the volume on the line mixer channel.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If I REALLY push the space (some serious overhang, but its stable and I can get a longer shelf once things open up again) I could squeeze a Virus Ti2 desktop in.