Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KC Compilation • Quarantunes project

I'm in. But some questions: does it need to be new? As in, composed specifically for this album? I've got a few jazz fusion tracks to choose from that I could submit.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

How about a long-distance collaboration experiment? KC members send each other (or post somewhere) song fragments, grooves ideas lyrics etc. and the rest of us can contribute, if so inclined. It would be particularly interesting to see what happens when people rooted in different styles interface.

Maybe? ð

That sounds interesting!

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I'm actually thinking there's no reason to start a new thread. This one should do fine. :idk:

If you want to submit a piece of music, send me a full res file via something like WeTransfer to dbryce@musicplayernetwork.com.

Please feel free to talk about your submission in the thread. Share whatever you want - talk about why the piece exists, what tools you used to make it, etc.

I'm in. But some questions: does it need to be new? As in, composed specifically for this album?

Nope.

I've got a few jazz fusion tracks to choose from that I could submit.

That totally works. I'm gonna use one that I did for another project as well.

How about a long-distance collaboration experiment? KC members send each other (or post somewhere) song fragments, grooves ideas lyrics etc. and the rest of us can contribute, if so inclined. It would be particularly interesting to see what happens when people rooted in different styles interface.

Maybe? ð

That sounds interesting!

Great idea, brother Scott! I don't see any reason why a track for this project couldn't be created this way.

Thanks so much to everyone for all the enthusiastic responses! This should be a lot of fun...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Just a thought Dave, why not create a new thread and make it a sticky (short-term)? Might make it easier for users to interact with and you to have it set as submissions only...no chat

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

If we had no other stickies, I'd be more inclined to agree...but we have too many as it is in the main forum. The problem is that having a bunch of stickies (combined with the two sub-forums) drives an undesirable amount of the content "below the fold".

If we were to go that route, it might make more sense to put the sticky in the Shameless Plug sub-forum... :idk:

dB

If we had no other stickies, I'd be more inclined to agree...but we have too many as it is in the main forum. The problem is that having a bunch of stickies (combined with the two sub-forums) drives an undesirable amount of the content "below the fold".

If we were to go that route, it might make more sense to put the sticky in the Shameless Plug sub-forum... :idk:

dB

How about a separate one like Dr Mikes? Although I guess that amounts to pretty much the same thing??

But from what you say, yeah it might just get a bit convoluted....I imagine it'll be a pretty active thread anyway so it should always stay near the top - for those who don't subscribe to the thread. (idk, can we still subscribe to a thread? I haven't tried of late)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

You mentioned originals only. Are Public Domain tunes an option too?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I'm in. I will send an edit of one of the tracks on my last CD; they're all epic-length, but someone challenged me to do a meaningful radio edit of the fave track from the album, and it came out not too sucky.

I am well aware of the fact that a lot of folks on this compilation will be better players than me, and some will be better composers, but I am not letting that stop me. And it shouldn't stop anyone else, especially folks who have never done anything like this before. There will always be people out there better and worse than you, and if you don't take that first step, you'll never take any of the ones that come after it. Courage!

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

A previous (non-KC) collaboration was housed on the Collaboration sub-forum ;)

I would be happy to put in a submission for the cover art assuming it doesn't need to match previous volumes :thu:

You mentioned originals only. Are Public Domain tunes an option too?

I don't see why not...

I would be happy to put in a submission for the cover art assuming it doesn't need to match previous volumes :thu:

Go for it! And, no, it does not have to match the previous art Janet did for us.

dB

Go for it! And, no, it does not have to match the previous art Janet did for us.

dB

how "straight" does the art need to be?

how "straight" does the art need to be?

I have no idea what you mean by 'straight'... :confused:

I"d go with this for a guideline: this is a publicly displayed forum, and the cover needs to not make anybody who submitted music feel badly that their work is on it.

Nothing stopping you from making multiple submissions, though. If we don"t dig something, we"ll vote that bad boy off the island. :D

dB

haha, I meant could it be a bit surrealistic, or stylistic rather than pure art :)

Yeah I imagine mine would get booted, but it's something fun to mess with while stuck in the "cabin" ;)

I don't know if I'll be able to record a new tune for this comp - I would like to, but believe it or not, I'm busy as hell. But I should have something in the dark vaults that I could submit.

When's the deadline?

I'm ready to submit, but need to do the rough mix work (this won't be the version that goes on my album as a result, but it's close). I'm pretty confident now of which song from my upcoming jazz album is the one that is most appropriate to be included on the KC compilation, but I'm still a tiny bit torn as another one of the songs has the best piano solo of any of them. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Submission "Virtual Blues" received from lightbg - thanks!

dB

Thank you for the motivation to do something with all this stuff. Looking forward to all the contributions.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Dave has the email listed on the first page of the thread, down a ways.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Dave has the email listed on the first page of the thread, down a ways.

thanks MMM- I missed it

Not an easy choice, but now it's settled. I was going to use the one with stride rhythm and the call/response flute/trumpet lead, as the piano is more prominent and it's higher energy, but ultimately decided that the new age fusion piece with free-form/free-time soloing in the middle, has the prettier primary melody and the more interesting keyboard work (and solo). The Rhodes and Fazioli take turns throughout.

I guess it's best to go ahead and do a dirty mix to submit tomorrow morning. Alto Sax is still MIDI (as is Flute; though it's less noticeable there), but it's SWAM-based so is listenable and musical/expressive.

As an ode to Dave Brubeck's "Unsquare Dance", it is titled "Unsquare Time in Times Square". The almost-ran is called "Tobacco Road" due to the New Orleans Stride influence.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'd love to be in it if I can do so in time. And is it too late to suggest the name "Quarantunes"?

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Man, I wish I was good enough to get on there.

I only speak for myself (but assume I do for most) when I say that (a) you're probably being modest and (b) this is a community effort - give it a try!