Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Link to my Catalina installation thread

If nobody minds, I posted a thread on updating to Catalina on my 2014 MacBook Pro in Dr Mike's Studio Workshop.

It is a success story with a valuable link.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3035938#Post3035938

Hope somebody finds it helpful! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! Thanks for the heads up here. I'm almost ready to take the plunge, but the idea of downloading 8.3 GB over an AT&T internet connection is scary. Why can't Apple do a .rar file of something, so you can download bits and pieces, and then stitch them together?

When I updated to Mojave, the download said that it completed successfully, but it bricked my MacBook Pro. I assume it was AT&T issues, but fixing it fell on Apple support.

Great! Thanks for the heads up here. I'm almost ready to take the plunge, but the idea of downloading 8.3 GB over an AT&T internet connection is scary. Why can't Apple do a .rar file of something, so you can download bits and pieces, and then stitch them together?

When I updated to Mojave, the download said that it completed successfully, but it bricked my MacBook Pro. I assume it was AT&T issues, but fixing it fell on Apple support.

Ykes! I have Comcast cable here, it's reasonably fast. The slow times were shuffing files for the boot drives and making sure I had everything backed up. Glad I've kept my recording drive and a backup copy seperate!!! Well, and going through everything in the Sweetwater bulletin took a while, but well worth it. I restarted and so far it's all working.

One thing I LOVE already is that the first time I open an application from the Dock, it adds the icon of the actual app to the Dock. These icons open the application MUCH faster, Waveform and Photoshop pop right up, ready to go. I've been tossing aliases, need to get rid of some I never use if the OS will allow it.

Edit, I take that back. The Waveform icon disappeared after I removed the alias from the dock and the Adobe Premier Elements made 2 copies of the icon in the dock.

So it could be a bit squirrely. I didn't think the Adobe stuff would even run at all - Photoshop works fine.

I dragged another Waveform alias into the Dock. It still opens quickly but hasn't made another icon.

I'm not going to worry about it unless it actually becomes a problem!

Oh, and iTunes is now called "Music".

It's more or less the same program with added spam to annoy. Eventually the spam will go away, I hope.

Just a new campaign for Apple Music.

I'm not sure Apple Music or Apple TV is getting the traction for which Apple hoped. With the emphasis on selling "services," expect more, not less spam. I don't blame them, Microsoft hits me up to get Microsoft 365 periodically. I probably will, just the 1 TB of cloud storage for $7/month is worth it. That plus 50 GB on iCloud for my Apple stuff, and I'll be set for a while.

But I still do crucial backups to Blue-Ray. "Trust, but verify." :)

Zero spam from iTunes for me so already way more spam!

I refused to log into my Apple ID on installation, Music bugged me again and I declined.

Pretty sure that logging in will result in a barrage of spam. Not doing it!!!

I haven't taken the plunge yet on any of my Macs. I don't see a benefit and lots of downsides. All of the old, expensive 32-bit apps I use a few times a year (like Sibelius) will go away, and there's no benefit. A lot of people are having issues with all of the new security, so unless the developer has done a lot of work it's difficult to install apps or plug-ins.

I haven't taken the plunge yet on any of my Macs. I don't see a benefit and lots of downsides. All of the old, expensive 32-bit apps I use a few times a year (like Sibelius) will go away, and there's no benefit. A lot of people are having issues with all of the new security, so unless the developer has done a lot of work it's difficult to install apps or plug-ins.

I totally get "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I've got a tendency to stay a system or two behind as long as possible for the most part. There always comes a point of no return so I've learned to avail myself of options when they are still in place.

High Sierra also blocked installation from third party vendors too. My apologies if I overstate the obvious below, it may help somebody.

First, check your vendor's site for updates. Get on their mailing list and watch for sales on upgrades too, I've gotten stupid bargains for expensive software, usually the vendor is about to go from version 3 to 4 etc. If 3 works for you it might be stupid cheap.

Open System Preferences - under the Apple menu top left of the screen.

In the General tab, click the lock lower left to unlock settings. Make sure that "Allow apps downloaded from:" is set for "App Store and identified developers."

Leave that open on the screen.

Initiate the installation. If you've installed plugins from the same company in the past you may not get any notification.

If the vendor is unrecognized you should get a question block floating above, asking for permission and an "Allow" button will appear.

Allow installation, install and restart.

That's worked for me almost always. Anything that is already installed becomes an "identified developer" to the updated System. Once in a great while, I've had to install twice to get something going.

I just made a bootable external drive (well, 2 of them) and used the installation options to install my Applications folder. Was worried about losing Adobe Photoshop Elements, I use it all the time to prepare images for items I want to sell. I also wanted a path back to my old way of working if the new way had too many obstacles. Tested, both boot and have the software I wanted available. Always put the safety nets out before jumping!!! :- D

Just remember that you won't be able to access the Desktop on the new system when you boot from the external drive. The easiest workaround is to store the work files on a drive, the external boot drive, an SD card or USB thumb, etc.

When the world updates and starts leaving your computer behind, you will see the benefits. Browsers will update and older ones will be dysfunctional, just for one example.

I felt like it was important to take action while I could still log onto Apple and be able to download my choice of High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina.

When the next update comes around they may remove at least High Sierra from availablility but my boot disks will still work if/when I need them.

I'm not sure Apple Music or Apple TV is getting the traction for which Apple hoped. With the emphasis on selling "services," expect more, not less spam. I don't blame them, Microsoft hits me up to get Microsoft 365 periodically. I probably will, just the 1 TB of cloud storage for $7/month is worth it. That plus 50 GB on iCloud for my Apple stuff, and I'll be set for a while.

But I still do crucial backups to Blue-Ray. "Trust, but verify." :)

Today I notice that all is well in the Dock again. A restart "healed" it. Nice.

The HUGE surprise is that my copy of Painter 2016 works fine. I was not expecting that and willing to let it go since I don't use it much. I do have a drawing I want to make for an album cover but I am fine with drawing on paper and photographing it. Now I have options.

Seems this "nothing will work" scare might be overblown?

Go 64 shows a yellow triangle with an exclaimation point for Painter, when clicked it says the program is 64 bit except for Leopard bundle. Leopard was a LONG time ago!

My version of Painter is 4 years old and it runs fine.

I understand everybody being cautious, it might be prudent to find out what the actual situation is first.

In my experience, there are four kinds of updates:

Transparent - it updates, not too many changes, some added cool stuff, no issues.

Moving target - it mostly works, seems kinda cool, patches appear to fix things, it will reach its potential someday

WTF were they thinking?!? - functionality removed, issues, broken stuff

Why didn't I update sooner - it really is better, I shouldn't have stuck with what I had before because it worked

I get the impression that Catalina is #2 :)

I would agree so far. It is not without obstacles. #2 it is.

I am used to dealing with obstacles, working in graphic design you quickly learn that there are workarounds for "impossible" tasks.

I worked a summer at one place and my job was to fix all the "broken and impossible" files that clients submitted.

I made them all work, every single one of them.

At this point, I don't intend to go backwards. I do intend to re-read the Sweetwater bulletin (bookmarked but I should probably print it as a .pdf for now) and one by one, I'll try turning back on some of the things they suggested turning off. If nothing happens, it can stay on. I did like having the time displayed at the upper right of the screen, that will be the first test.

Since we all have different software there is only one way to find out what works for me. I'm here and it looks like I'll stay!