Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboards with nice semi-weighted actions

Hello folks,

looking for a 76 key semi-weighted action, something like that found on Kurz PC3/SP76/Artis7 etc. I think it is the Fatar TP8piano, but I could be wrong! So basically, piano shaped keys, rather than keyboard style keys with a decent bit of resistance but not the full hammer action.

Any ideas for something available in any lower cost boards, either older boards or controller keyboards? Ideally, I would like the board to have an internal power supply. Sounds do not matter as I have a Roland Integra.

I suppose I could consider an 88 key board, such as Korg B2n. Sure, it doesn't have an internal power supply, but it looks decent and is not expensive. Has anyone played that board. I presume it has the same action as the Kronos LS. Any thoughts on how this action compares to the Fatar one?

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mike! Will check out the old Alesis boards. I think they have the internal power supply as well if I remember rightly. I actually have an old Rhodes 760 that has a decent keyboard style action and internal power supply. It is basically a Roland U20 with 76 keys.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

My all time favorite semi-weighted, "compromise" action is that of the Roland VK7, with the metal weights under each key. Some Phantom models (not sure which or if any are 76 key) also have it, including one I borrowed for a few weeks on a house gig. It was the only semi-weighted I could ever play piano parts on without cringeing.

Roland XP-80

Roland VR-700

Hi Elmer,

I"ve just remembered I have an old Roland EP7. I am thinking it might have the same action as the VR700. Any ideas?

I think I once tried an XP80... similar action to the XP30 which I owned for a number of years. Nice keyboard actions but think I prefer the box shape keys on the VR/EP etc

Thanks!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

THIS THREAD covers a comprehensive list for actions.The original intent is hopefully it can offer value in a situation like this. If you identify a keyboard where you like the action, you should be able to identify the action and find other keyboards that use the same or similar.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Sorry, fixed the link.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I have tried the Korg B2 and the B2N, both actions suck with the D1 not being much better

In the price range I put the Korgs bottom of all the DPs that I tried.

Check out Casio S1000

Yamaha P121/125

Kawai ES110 (but the one I tried had a very, very noisy action)

Best action for me of them all was with the Roland FP10 & 30.

I ended up with a Yamaha because I like its sound more than the Roland, the drawback of the Rolands were their lack of separate line outs.

Col

the drawback of the Rolands

Well, I"ve been called a lot of things, but... :wink:

Not to take this too far into a weighted hammer track, but since you mentioned it - I have recently been converted from Yamaha and Fatar which are too sluggish for my liking, to a Korg GrandStage (RH3). I can"t believe how much I like it.

Best semi weighted AFAIC was the Medelli on my old SP4 except for the sharp edges.

Here for the gear.

+1 for the Yamaha XS7

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

There's a nice compromise action on the Hammond-Suzuki SK1-88; not hammer but it's heavier than their waterfall action used on the 61 and 73. Only played it for a short period but felt pretty decent to me.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I have tried the Korg B2 and the B2N, both actions suck with the D1 not being much better

In the price range I put the Korgs bottom of all the DPs that I tried.

Check out Casio S1000

Yamaha P121/125

Kawai ES110 (but the one I tried had a very, very noisy action)

Best action for me of them all was with the Roland FP10 & 30.

I ended up with a Yamaha because I like its sound more than the Roland, the drawback of the Rolands were their lack of separate line outs.

The Korg D1 has the RH3 action, as used in the Kronos. It is a quality keyboard action.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I'm another fan of the Kurz SP4-7's SW action. I still have mine and sometimes gig with it below a Hammond SK1 or Nord 5D 73 both of whose actions I find too "springy" for comfortable piano playing. I also recently picked up a Numa Compact 2x (88 key) which IMO has a very good SW action (Fatar TP9).

Unfortunately for the OP the Numa Compact 2x (and 2 which has the same SW action) are only available with 88 keys.

If I had to rate SW actions that I either have or have had since the turn of the millennium:

1. Kurz SP76, 2. Kurz SP4-7, 3. Numa Compact 2x, 4. Alesis QS6, 5. Hammond SK1, 6. Nord 5d

It's worth noting that even though some of these boards share the same SW Fatar actions, spring tensions can vary (e.g. SK1 and Nord 5d both have Fatar TP8). There is also subjectivity on the way the sound connects / relates to the action for one's style of playing. Just like with hammer actions, IMO one basically has to play 'em to determine the best fit.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Best semi weighted AFAIC was the Medelli on my old SP4 except for the sharp edges.

I saw online where some people filed down the sharp edges. Also, I think the later production runs got rid of the sharp edges.

I agree with everyone here that the SP4-7 semi-weighted action was one of the better ones. Out of the box, I liked it better than the "better" (TP8) semi-weighted action of other Kurzweils like the Artis7, but once I was able to swap lower springs into the Artis7, that's the one I liked better.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

+1 for the Studiologic Numa Compact 2X. For $700 US you can't beat it. Great Fatar semi-weighted action and some really decent built-in sounds, all in a 13 pound package. If you don't mind the extra 15/12 keys, it's a winner. I use mine as a controller only.

• 1 month later...
This strays a bit from the original poster's needs, but I wanted to mention that for a semi-weighted synth action, I always loved the Fatar TP9 as implemented in the Novation Supernova keyboard and I think the Access Virus KB. The Roland A70 (remember those?) was similar, but I don't recall whether they were using Fatar's action at that time. Synth style keys, not piano weight, but big, chunky, quick, and smooth.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

My old Virus Kb had my favorite synth action of all time. My pc361 has a similar one (both TP9 as stated above). Not square keys though.

Also a big fan of the Roland VR700 (and 760 is likely similar if not the same). Obviously great for organ but I was able to play synth and piano on it just fine. One big annoyance with that keyboard as a controller is that it doesn't send drawbar info as continuous controllers. It is a very fast action, maybe too fast for some, the keys almost seem to fall down on their own :) It's 76 notes and has an internal power supply. Don't think it has aftertouch, does have that Roland v-beam thing that I never used but could be fun as a controller.

I like the semi weighted synth action on the Roland FA-07 in a 76 key size. It does not have aftertouch but fits your budget and has a ton of the same sounds as the integra.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I'd like to hear what anyone thinks of the Arturia 88 Essential. Under $400 and it fits into the Output Platform desk which I'm eyeballing.

I would, too. I was wondering who made the action for this new model - thought it might be Fatar. Their reply was that they manufacture it themselves.

Here for the gear.

I liked the Alesis QS7.1 in the 76 non-hammer category, but it has waterfall ("keyboard style keys") rather than "piano shaped".

I don't think the QS7.1 has waterfall keys.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I suppose I could consider an 88 key board, such as Korg B2n.

Along those lines, the Numa Compact, Compact 2, and Compact 2X are decent feeling, using a Fatar TP/9P. The Artis7's TP8 is better in having longer keys and n feeling more consistent from front to back, however the Numa don't push back as hard, so I actually preferred that (until I put lower tension springs in the Artis).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)