Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Corona Virus thread

I live in northern NJ, about 25 miles as the crow flies west of Manhattan. We have about 25 people in our church choir, most are older than me (I am 58). One of them was in the hospital due to being COVID-19 positive, but fortunately she got well enough to be released form the hospital yesterday. I am sure she is over 70, and that the death rate for people in her age group are well over the national average we see in the US so far. If all my work travel had not been stopped, would it be ok for me to fly on a plane, and then go to choir rehearsal (if choir rehearsals were still on)? It's a good comparison for the question about restarting the economy (from a people-contact perspective, consider the choir at church as having the same people exposure risk as a department or people at a lower medium sized business).

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife's hospital has run out of isolation gowns. The doctors/nurses are wearing trash bags. I was just sent to the grocery store to buy extra large trash bags. When a doc/nurse enters the building they're given a set of scrubs to change into. They wear an N95 for the duration of the shift and change into their own scrubs before going home.

I can only climb but so high and scream but so loud.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Can someone explain something to me;

I posted this link in a new thread previously cause I thought the content was important and especially relevant to the US and the UK because of their attempts to use mitigation in reaction to the pandemic.

The thread was pulled. But I dont know why.I used the term " dumb arsed politicians" (should have said dumb-arsed leaders) but the content of the link is no more' political' than anything on this thread.

So why dont moderators generally give the poster a reason when they act in a summary way?

The "moderators" (me) have attempted to make it clear in several places that this forum is not for politics. The sticky thread at the top of the forum marked READ BEFORE POSTING: Politics and Religion" explains why in more depth.

The thread in question had gone in that direction. :facepalm::Python:

I understand there are many aspects of this situation that are relevant to the KC community. That's why we have this thread for the corona virus discussion, and I'm definitely allowing a few boundaries to be stretched here and there given the seriousness of the situation and the many benefits of us being able to share our thoughts and experiences in this strange time; however, I would appreciate it if we could not start multiple threads on the subject in KC... :idk:

...and please - keep the damn politics out of it. :hand::argue::nono:

FWIW, there actually is a place on MPN where more social-oriented discussion is encouraged - that would be Dr. Anderton's forum.

dB

Thanks for the explanation Dave. I wouldnt want to have been modded by anyone other than the MODFather.

Most of the discussion on this thread is has been US based. If you guys n gals dont already know it - our UK Prime Minister Boris has COVID19 and is in isolation.

I worry about my American brothers.

The thing that will be perhaps the toughest thing for my family, is explaining to our about to be 4-year-old great nephew why he's not having a birthday party.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

The thing that will be perhaps the toughest thing for my family, is explaining to our about to be 4-year-old great nephew why he's not having a birthday party.

Well, maybe there's some way it can be turned around into a lesson about patience? I'm sure that's not going to be fun.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Governments take center during times of crisis. So we can't discuss this topic without discussing governments. I interpret the "no politics" rule to mean stay away from anything partisan or critical of particular politicians and parties. There's more than enough of that outside this forum, it's not like if you can't discuss it here you can't discuss it anywhere.

My daughter's 4th birthday got cancelled. It's amazing how adaptable kids are, much more so than their parents. I talk to them about every aspect of what's going on. My 7 year old son was grilling me today about why there isn't a "cure" yet, and what's involved in coming up with one, and why don't I know more details about it. I feel the sooner they understand how precarious is this thing we call civilization, the better. Haven't got the part yet about people dying, but I'm sure that's coming.

No

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Thanks for sharing. It"s difficult for people who aren"t in and around the cities like NY and Rome to see, feel experience what is surely coming there way.

Or Madrid with a death toll over 3k , so far....

Thanks for sharing. It"s difficult for people who aren"t in and around the cities like NY and Rome to see, feel experience what is surely coming there way.

Or Madrid with a death toll over 3k , so far....

Indeed. :(

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I've just had to spend a bunch of my time editing this thread again. :redwall:

Typically, if I find I have to edit a thread multiple times, I delete the entire thread...but I think this thread is valuable to the community, so i don't want to do that. That puts me in the unfortunate position of having to impose an enforced vaction from the forum for anyone else who posts anything with political content.

Governments take center during times of crisis. So we can't discuss this topic without discussing governments. I interpret the "no politics" rule to mean stay away from anything partisan or critical of particular politicians and parties.There's more than enough of that outside this forum, it's not like if you can't discuss it here you can't discuss it anywhere.
That's pretty much my way of thinking on the subject as well.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Been waiting for someone here to craft a story about the politician or senior bureaucrat who svengles 'ventilator', discovers this forum, and issues a plea to all clonewheel organ players to stop hoarding their ventilators and donate them to their nearest hospital as a public service....but that would be silly, right?

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Been waiting for someone here to craft a story about the politician or senior bureaucrat who svengles 'ventilator', discovers this forum, and issues a plea to all clonewheel organ players to stop hoarding their ventilators and donate them to their nearest hospital as a public service....but that would be silly, right?

:idea::roll:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

You left out the part where, upon receiving the ventillators, hospitals have to come back the forum for advise on the most effective amplification. 14 pages into that discussion they realize it's just too complicated and give up, returning the vents to their owners.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

hospitals have to come back the forum for advise on the most effective amplification.

< insert eBay ad for old inventory of Roland KC amps covered in muppet hide >

The only thing they should run through a Roland keyboard amp is a bone saw.

Yeah, I"m bored.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

I've just had to spend a bunch of my time editing this thread again. :redwall:

Typically, if I find I have to edit a thread multiple times, I delete the entire thread...but I think this thread is valuable to the community, so i don't want to do that. That puts me in the unfortunate position of having to impose an enforced vaction from the forum for anyone else who posts anything with political content.

It ain't near the thanks I have for people like Ken's wife and others dealing with this crisis, but know that I really appreciate you doing that in this case. Hopefully people on the KC will toe the line.

Ken I'm glad to hear your wife and you are okay, and I hope you both stay that way. I'm also sorry they're being that way you described at your job.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Social distancing is lame. I prefer 'Exiled for the good of the realm."

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Social distancing is lame. I prefer 'Exiled for the good of the realm."

Saw that on Facebook too. Perfect!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

It ain't near the thanks I have for people like Ken's wife and others dealing with this crisis, but know that I really appreciate you doing that in this case. Hopefully people on the KC will toe the line.

Ken I'm glad to hear your wife and you are okay, and I hope you both stay that way. I'm also sorry they're being that way you described at your job.

Thanks, Joe. We're doing everything we can. And yeah, my work situation is...in limbo.

:wacko:

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Here's a thought:

Nearly all governments in the world are in the same boat: paying out eye watering sums of money to get their people through the lockdown and likely to struggle for years and years and years afterwards trying to repay it.

Financial transactions nowadays are electronic. No gold actually gets moved (as far as I know...). The stock market is built upon the confidence of its investors. If they believe that things are going well, things go well.

So......what would happen if everyone agreed to simply press an economic 'reset" button once this is over. Allow all countries go back to the financial position they were before it started.... Simply pretend it was like a bad dream which had not really happened and literally delete the bailouts from the computers.

I am not a financial person....but in my ignorance this seems to make sense. Everybody needs to do it, so why not simply all give each other permission to do so?

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

The complexities of this notion are large. But it is understandable why one would ponder - particularly when one comes to the realization that the system has had its limits tested and found to be broken. Without a doubt there will be debt negotiation after a worldwide event like this.

On the small stage, in our towns, counties, states and our country. They are doing a lot to save the small businesses that employ such a large percentage of our population. The offer of loans is generous and if your business is able to keep your employees on the payroll, you may not be paying much of that back.

We shall see how this plays out, but it will without a doubt be messy.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

For those of you who are interested in how much a life is worth, here's a study. In summary, the value of a statistical life (VSL) is the marginal rate of substitution between income (or wealth) and mortality risk. The VSL indicates how much individuals are willing to pay (WTP) to reduce the risk of death. Applied properly, the VSL can be used in benefit-cost analysis to evaluate the efficiency of government policies designed to reduce risk.

https://strata.org/pdf/2017/vsl-full-report.pdf

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud