Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New KC Compilation • Quarantunes project

It's been a while...with all this time on our hands, maybe it's time for us to do a new one? :idk:

For those of you who don't know, there was a period more than a few years back where we were generating complations on a regular basis. Originals, covers, both free form and with themes. We did twelve of them that we made into actual CDs. See attached photo.

...and before starts talking about how we should post all of those, these are original pieces of work of past and present forum members as well as cover tunes. The legal aspects seem as if they would be problematic. :eek:

For a new one, doing it from the start with the intention of posting it online for free would probably be the way to go.

Thoughts?

dB

772.thumb.jpg.f878e1518b8be0a6f4a0567449c0af3f.jpg

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I would certainly love to listen to, and hopefully be a part of, one of these. I've heard them talked about on the forum, but they all predate my hanging around here by quite a few years.

Same here.

How is licensing handled for cover tunes for this type of thing? Each person buys their own license, or some kind of bulk one that covers everything?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

yeah I'd be up for it for sure! Hey is there anywhere we can listen to any of those previous comps?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

How is licensing handled for cover tunes for this type of thing? Each person buys their own license, or some kind of bulk one that covers everything?

In the case of covers, each person would buy their own. I use the Harry Fox Agency's Songfile service

It ain't much for a mechanical royalty license for one tune for the purpose of digital distribution only.

Hey is there anywhere we can listen to any of those previous comps?

Sadly, no....not unless someone sends you a copy. They are not online anywhere that I know of.

dB

It's been a while...with all this time on our hands, maybe it's time for us to do a new one? :idk:

dB

Yes, it's time. I only finish stuff when there's a deadline.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I'd be provisionally interested, but its hard to say how my dabblings might stand up alongside those of people whose skills place mine closer to the simian category. I could offer a novelty piece, perhaps, like my little ditty made up of 90% squirty resonant formant patches. Its a mescaline Munchkin choir, but it has its merits. I know its a casual thing, but you still have to pass the cut of the group's final decisions. Creation of a CD seems less likely here, so the digital list could be 2 hours rather than just one or so. Good idea.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Yes!!! I love the xmas compilation and have practically worn its digital grooves off of it. I would have happily paid full price for it - it is excellent - and If the others were available on CD baby etc. I would happily buy them also. (Maybe you should consider reissuing them as digital downloads?)

I would be interested in submitting something to be included on this, but if there turns out to be not enough space I will be happy to simply purchase it. :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

As mentioned in my first post, putting these online seems problematic. I believe I would need the permission of every artist who submitted a tune, along with that of the composer where appropriate. Many of these folks are no longer active forum members...

Maybe I could do a greatest hits thing by selecting tunes from the past comps submitted by folks who still are members and getting their permission. :idk:

dB

I could offer a novelty piece, perhaps, like my little ditty made up of 90% squirty resonant formant patches. Its a mescaline Munchkin choir, but it has its merits.

Sold!

Mine will be PD. No issues.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I'm up for whatever format is chosen. In the past, I have tended to submit non-originals and non-final arrangements and productions, just to be on the safe side of things, but I don't really care about that anymore as the only money to be made in music these days (pre-Coronavirus) is in touring, not recording. I probably already have something ready-made for whatever the theme is, due to so many near-complete productions (I tend to work in parallel so that I maintain clear perspective on each piece).

Thanks for bringing this up, and for the hard work already put into the historical context, what issues would come up with a new compilation, royalties for covers, and all the logistics involved.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Would love to be involved and think it's an excellent idea to ask still current forum members whether they are happy for their songs to go online. I still have songs from the previous KC Comps pop up in my iTunes playlist regularly :thu:

Sounds like we have enough interest. :keynana:

I'm thinking original material only, no theme (other than it should contain some keyboards).

End of April deadline for submissions. Let's limit it to 20 submissions per volume to keep it digestible, and keep the submissions to 5:00 or less.

I'll start a new thread for each comp. Will post something for the first one later today, including how to submit.

dB

Hey is there anywhere we can listen to any of those previous comps?

Sadly, no....not unless someone sends you a copy. They are not online anywhere that I know of.

dB

Yep understand, thanks Dave

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I haven't been around in a while, and just saw this thread. I contributed on the Vol 1 and would be glad to offer up another original for this round.

I got one called "When the Earth Was Flat".

I never really knew why I wrote this song, but its beginning to make more sense lately. :/

I'll post a link in the Let's Hear It Thread.

How about a long-distance collaboration experiment? KC members send each other (or post somewhere) song fragments, grooves ideas lyrics etc. and the rest of us can contribute, if so inclined. It would be particularly interesting to see what happens when people rooted in different styles interface.

Maybe? ð