Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC4 Programs in Forte

I discovered a hidden treasure when I downloaded a few new PC4 programs from the PC4 objects file to my Forte (only non-FM for the time being). It seems to me that quite a few of the PC4 programs are greatly improved and better sounding than their corresponding Forte brethren with the same preset name (f.e. "Classic Saws"). On top of that there seem to be quite a few new FX Presets in the PC4 which are not available in the Forte. Unfortunately some of the new PC4 programs are using different keymap numbers in the PC4 than in the Forte even though the Keymaps are identical. Hence the Forte can't find them when importing the PC4 program. But thanks to the PC4 objects list available in the Mastering VAST forum I was able to locate missing Keymaps in the Forte and to assign them accordingly.

But it's disappointing that the flagship product Forte can't easily load the improved programs, FX presets etc. of it's low cost brother PC4. I think Kurzweil should consider to provide these files to it's clients who paid much more for the Forte than the price of a PC4. In case it's too complicated for them to convert all new PC4 programs into Forte programs maybe a simple PC4 backup file which contains keymaps and FX presets would do? Some great sounding new patches for the Forte can be found in this hidden treasure.

Forte afficionados: any thoughts?

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember some discussions either on Facebook, Mastering VAST or elsewhere where someone posted the PC4 presets to load into Forte.

At this point, if you own a Forte, you should be happy with 4.0 as the final product or move on. I don"t think there is an encore for it, but you never know. It was released in summer of 2014. I think the enhancements from 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 more than exceeded any expectations for a product like this and really put incredible value into my investment. On the other hand, the resale market for a used Forte seems way down (though I don't know how many people are dropping thousands of dollars on flagship gear during the Covid-19 pandemic either).

I never really thought the presets out of the box were what really matters for this instrument. Between my own craft, Dave Weiser, Busch"s Purgatory Creek and some brilliant users online I have made it into a beast. It has been my first Kurzweil and I feel like the learning curve was very easy, though I don't necessarily go deep into the inner workings of VAST.

I think they are probably selling a lot more PC4"s now but the flagship build quality, superior action and tons more flash memory will keep me a happy Forte camper for years and years to come even if this is the end of the innovation roadmap for it.

Forte - Love it or List it?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I think they are probably selling a lot more PC4"s now but the flagship build quality, superior action and tons more flash memory will keep me a happy Forte camper for years and years to come even if this is the end of the innovation roadmap for it.

I am just looking for comfortably loading some of these new PC4 presets into the Forte. Hope I am not asking to much considering that the PC4 is more or less a slimmed down version of the Forte. It shouldn't be a big effort or cost issue for Kurzweil to provide a download of these files.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)