Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Connect spdif out to spdif in directly

On my focusrite 18i6, can I connect the spdif out to the spdif in directly as an routing option te record music on my computer in my DAW? I know there are software solution for this as well, but i don"t use the spdif"s so I thought this was a handy utilization.

Rudy

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rudy!

Please explain a little more clearly what you're trying to do. If I understand it correctly, you're trying to play back music from one app (e.g. YouTube or Winamp or iTunes) and have it recorded into your DAW?

If that's what you're doing, then the S/PDIF loop is one way to do it. Depending on your OS, there are more elegant ways that don't involve sending the signals out of your computer and back in again. What OS are you running?

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Hi mike!

Thanks for the reply! Indeed that is exactly what I want to do. I"m running Mac OS and Logic Pro.

The Focusrite, although called to have 6 outputs, 4 of those are for the 2 head phone outputs and 2 for the monitors, so no analog outputs left.

What do you suggest as a solution?

Rudy

There are software routing apps that work within macOS that are phenomenally good. You just route audio from app A to app B in software, no wiring or fuss.

I can't go into detail right this very instant, but if you're in a hurry, you can do some research on your own! The best products for this, by far, are the ones from Rogue Amoeba: research Audio Hijack and Loopback to learn what they can do. I use both, but honestly I have found that Audio Hijack does nearly everything I need. For your specific use case, I'd need to look and see if I can create an AH routing that will do what you want; Loopback will definitely do it.

Loopback is the currently supported version of apps like Soundflower from the olden days. They were free but were abandoned as Apple got more invasive of how routing worked; these guys have you pay money, but when you buy their apps you can be sure they'll do what they say on the label.

mike

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Thanks for the reply mike. Can this software be selected as well als my audio interface in logic? The point is I sometimes like to play along with IrealPro and record it in Logic. I had the soundflower app routing the irealpro back to logic, but then I can"t record my piano as well. That is why I routed the audio out and in of my interface. Is this possible with audio hijack?

Rudy

Ok, just for future reference on this I just tested connecting spdif in with out. It works as Mike already said. For me this is a very good option. The mixer software of my audio interface makes it very flexible in routing internal audio to everywhere. And I like not having another piece of software.

Case closed:)

Rudy

Glad to hear that this is working for you, Rudy!