Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John Prine critically ill with COVID19

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've lost so many people in the arts the past few weeks, and not all of them are from Coronavirus, but the shocking thing is that most of those under 65 are dying from that cause, which doesn't give one much confidence about the oft-repeated line that we'll be OK as long as we aren't 65 or older.

I've noticed this week in particular, that the country music genre seems particularly hard hit.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Jackson Browne has tested positive as well. Yet another singer in the Americana and/or Country tradition, but hopefully he'll recover.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/entertainment/jackson-browne-coronavirus-trnd/?hpt=ob_blogfooterold

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I've sung Burnt Orange for many years.

Also Quit Hollerin' At Me and Daddy's Little Pumpkin.

John was great in concert, despite the woman behind me that could not stop singing along. I get it, I wanted to sing along too.

Be well John, and Jackson!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

That's disheartening to hear. I've seen John & co. perform live twice and it was like a different take on a rock show. Well, a normal one, not Ozzy, but the musicianship and high-quality energy were a constant. Here's to hoping. Damned virus....

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

• 2 weeks later...

The chorus of "Lonesome Friends of Science", from his excellent last album, 2018's The Tree of Forgiveness:

The lonesome friends of science say

"The world will end most any day"

Well, if it does, then that's okay

'Cause I don't live here anyway

I live down deep inside my head

Well, long ago I made my bed

I get my mail in Tennessee

My wife, my dog, my kids, and me

Strangely prescient and writing straight to your heart as ever.

Highly recommend this album if you haven't checked it out yet. A fantastic record to go out on.

For me, it"s Hello In There.

RIP, John. ð

dB

That's a beautiful, timeless song as well. I know Daddy's Litttle Pumpkin, Unwed Fathers and Quit Hollerin' At Me but Burnt Orange seems most appropriate for my personal, private tribute.

Too many favorites to name...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

This is not even a good time to die. My 90 year old neighbor passed away from an unrelated illness. Max number of people who were allowed to attend the funeral was 10. Between the heavy rain and Coronavirus situation, only 5 of us showed up . Since no service was allowed, we pretty much parked by the burial site and witnessed the process from there. He served in Vietnam, he was a math teacher for 30 years and a wonderful human being. Just terrible. :(
www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

This is not even a good time to die. My 90 year old neighbor passed away from an unrelated illness. Max number of people who were allowed to attend the funeral was 10. Between the heavy rain and Coronavirus situation, only 5 of us showed up . Since no service was allowed, we pretty much parked by the burial site and witnessed the process from there. He served in Vietnam, he was a math teacher for 30 years and a wonderful human being. Just terrible. :(

I am so sorry.

And God damn this. Please.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

For me, it"s Hello In There.

RIP, John. ð

dB

Same for me. This has been a rough night. So many memories...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Yeah, there were hopeful signs a few days ago when they said he was getting better. So I was a bit shocked to see the actual death announcement a few hours ago; I had marked him down as "recovered".

Yeah, there were hopeful signs a few days ago when they said he was getting better. So I was a bit shocked to see the actual death announcement a few hours ago; I had marked him down as "recovered".

This seems to be pretty common, or at least I've read this about a few people. Hospitalized, stabilized, then maybe even starting to feel better. Then a sudden turn for the worse. In one case I read the person had gone home.

"Six million seven hundred thousand

And thirty-three lights on

You'd think someone could take the time

To sit down and listen to the words of my song"

"Perfectly crafted popular hit songs never use the wrong rhyme

You'd think that waitress could get my order

Right the first time"

"I used to live in Chicago

Where the cold wind blows

I delivered more junk mail

Than the junkyard would hold

I wasn't hurtin' nobody

I wasn't hurtin' no one"

"You can fool some of the people part of the time

In a rock and roll song

Fifty million Elvis Presley fans

Can't be all wrong"

RIP to a true master

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

"When I die let my ashes float down the Green River

Let my soul roll on up to the Rochester dam.

I'll be halfway to Heaven with Paradise waiting

Just five miles away from where ever I am."

-John Prine

RIP

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

This seems to be pretty common, or at least I've read this about a few people. Hospitalized, stabilized, then maybe even starting to feel better. Then a sudden turn for the worse. In one case I read the person had gone home.

He did have a number of significant health challenges over the years, including two bouts with cancer, surgeries and heart ailments. That no doubt made him particularly susceptible to the virus.

The LA Times had a great obit that had some interesting information in it: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-04-07/john-prine-singer-songwriter-coronavirus

It mentioned he had a Grammy nomination when we was 24, and then again at 72. Not many folks can say that. Quite a talent he was...