Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Joe Diffie

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This wasn't common knowledge on the forum, but I played keys with Joe from early 2001 to 2008. I became his bandleader in 2002, and tour manager in 2007. Joe was a natural talent. No voice lessons, no warm up before the gig, he just went out and did it. We did countless Opry appearances on the radio and tv, endless county fairs and bars, and arenas when we did the package tour "Rockin Roadhouse" with Tracy Lawrence and Mark Chestnutt. And every show he just walked on stage and nailed it. No flash, just this voice as big as a house and hit after hit.

Diffie was charming and easy to ride the bus with. Slept in a bunk instead of a fancy rear suite. One of us. And I won't lie, after eight years you get to know a person well. Maybe too well. We had our differences over the years. And that's ok, that'll happen in any relationship where you spent most of your time in a sardine can.

One time that will always stick with me was an Opry show, my last with him. Joe was a huge fan of Gene Watson. Gene was on before us and Joe stood in the wings transfixed and a bit nervous. I could see it in his body language. When Gene ended I said to him, "You're Joe Fucking Diffie. Go show 'em what you've got." He sang "Behind Closed Doors." It was magical.

God speed, JD. I love you.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I was on the road during much of the 90's in a country cover band, wasn't crazy about covering every 90's artist's songs but Joe Diffie's stood out. They were fun (or outright goofy) tunes and had some great piano solos- Honkytonk Attitude, Brown Gravy, If the Devil Danced In Empty Pockets, among others. Condolences to Mr. Soper and the entire country music world.

This is hitting too close to home. Thanks to Ksoper for this post.

From what I can tell and I cannot tell much the situation with Joe progressed rather quickly. There are people in the town where I live that do not take this situation seriously. This is telling me how serious it is.

I also remembered your time with Joe, but my first thought was for Lonnie Wilson. He was a great singer & I was glad to play on the couple of things I did with him.

Of course the really memorable piano playing on his records was usually Jarvis or sometimes Matt.

Like Linwood, I thought of you right away, Ken. Seems like last week we were down that way hanging out with you guys and hearing about your time with Joe and the band; though it's been closer to four years now.. I'm so sorry to hear of this.

I spent most of the 90s playing country, either in local or road cover bands. And Joe Diffie's music was a big part of that. After reminiscing through his song list, I realized that a couple of my bands weren't that far from being Joe Diffie tributes. So much fun playing country music from way before the 90s to early 2000s; loved playing piano on that stuff, still do.

RIP Mr. Diffie!

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I didn't know that about you, Ken. My condolences, and thanks for sharing some of your memories.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

... I played keys with Joe from early 2001 to 2008. ...

Was Roger Eaton with him then? Roger is the lead guitarist in this video.

I couldn't get the video to play, but Roger was there for about the first month or two when I joined. He was filling in until we found a guitar player, Jason Roller, seen in the video I posted. Roger came back for a little while again as a sub in '08, and Joe's bass player told me yesterday that he came back yet again after I left. Roger is a badass and has fantastic tone. He's also extremely funny.

Thank you all for your kind words. Joe moved to Nolensville, TN at some point in the last couple of years and it's the kind of small town that pulls together when one of their own passes. A parade was quickly organized yesterday and at least 200 cars, pickup trucks and John Deere tractors drove through the town and past his house. I didn't go but Jason and his wife sent pictures and video. People put out green lights and banners, wore swag. Diffie tunes pumped from radios. I don't know if a formal memorial will be planned but this was a nice thing to do until the time comes.

777.jpg.712e2e537872bf65f4801aa1b7f8d323.jpg

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I fixed the post. The offer to play in a band with Roger is the reason that I moved from drums to keyboards. I was classically trained, had never played by ear, and had never played rock/pop before other than the occasional sheet music. But I had the timing of an excellent drummer and could play Bach 3 parts. Roger got me through it. He was a great instructor as well as a musician. When I would occasionally bust out a bad ass solo he would grin like a proud papa. We played in several bands together over the years. Then I went to Louisville and he went to Nashville. I ended up in school. He ended up with Joe Diffie and Barbra Mandrell. Any fool knows who got the better end of that road. :)

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I fixed the post. The offer to play in a band with Roger is the reason that I moved from drums to keyboards.

That's very cool. The video works, thanks. With Roger is Ric McClure on drums (Exile and Trisha Yearwood), Dennis Parker on acoustic (Ricky Skaggs) Charlie Lilly on bass (Billy Walker), and Opry house steel player Tommy White. Steve Ramsey is on keyboards and is the guy I replaced. So the band in my video is the same as this band minus Roger. Incredible bunch of players.

• 1 month later...