Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tweaker 15 watt head question

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be the usual location.

Phase inverter tube is the second most important tube in the amp for changing the tone. You can safely swap in either 12at (lower gain but delivers more current to the output tubes) or 12ax7 (higher gain, less current). The tone of the amp changes with this swap, choose what you like.

If you have matched output tubes and matched triodes in the phase inverter. that is theoretically more "correct." from the standpoint of "accurate reproduction."

Since we are guitar players and not hi-fi enthusiasts, various combinations of mis-matched phase inverter or output tubes may be preferred by the owner/player of the amp.

There isn't a "right and wrong" per se for us guitar slingers, we like what we like!!!!

The other tube that can make a noticeable difference in the overall tone is V1, usually closest to the input jack. 12ax7, 7025, 5751, 12at7 and a few select other tubes can be used in that position.

It alters the gain structure and output of the preamp section of the amp, the crucial first (and sometimes second) gain stage. Another no wrong or right situation as long as you confirm that the tube you want to try is compatible with the circuit. 7025 adn 5751 are safe, usually a 12at7 is also safe.

There are exceptions, I may be recalling incorrectly but I think the Mesa Subway Blues has a front end topology that differs from the usual. One of the 8 different Mesa amps I've owned had that, I think it was the Blues. Great little amp if you have a place to turn it up!!! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks Kuru, I bought a matched set of JJ power tubes and a standard set of 3 12AX 7's for this specific amp with a balanced one for the phase inverter. After I posted the question here, I found the answer which is the V3 Tube which is closest to the power tubes.

I simply pulled the trigger on the standard set of Tweaker 15 watt tubes. Eurotubes has a bunch of ways to buy tubes but on the Tweaker 15 watt head, I simply just buy the standard set of 6v6's plus 3 12 AX 7's. I could have also substituted a set of 6L6's for the 6v6's but I am playing the amp at bedroom levels in my house, that way the 6v6 tubes are sufficient for in house volumes.

If I ever sell my Hot Rod Deluxe which goes on sale every Friday Night on Craigslist until Sunday night each weekend, I will buy another Tweaker 15 watt head, (Or the Tweaker 40 watt head) and super charge that 15 Watter for jams out with the 6L6 set of power tubes and a higher gain set of preamp tubes.

@ DBM, http://www.dougstubes.com/egnator-tweaker-15-tube-kit.html ...a couple of different tube sets available out there from Doug's tubes...PI at V3 looks correct... :cool:

@Larryz I already have the tubes, I always buy JJ tubes from Eurotubes I have had great success with them over the years. Thanks for the suggestions however.