Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My playing abilities

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No Gb in the right hand! Should be Eb or F if you prefer

Break it down in slow motion and analyze which are the notes that require the two hands to strike at the same time.

Start by taking a pencil and circling the notes in the score that strike at the same time for the first two measures. When you've analyzed or figured out how the hands are synchronized, then in slow motion without tempo practice and slowly direct you notes to synchronize. One small fragment at a time, like a one beat at a time. Add on bit by bit, break down subsequent bits if needed. That's the only way I would suggest to master it. Playing it in tempo over and over is the least efficient way to get it together and it may never happen that way. Simply keep revisiting this method of practice on it over numerous days and and long term memory coordination will develop subconsciously.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Nice Paul, glad to hear some music from you!

Like J+ said, anytime you find yourself struggling with a passage, slow it down. Make sure you're 100% confident with the parts hands separately before putting them together, and then make sure you know how the parts lock up. I will say that Linus & Lucy is somewhat challenging so don't beat yourself up if you're having a hard time. There's some serious polyrhythms going on between your hands when it all comes together. If you can find the sheet music and slow it down though, I'm sure you'll get it eventually. Just be patient and persistent.

One other quick thing I thought I'd mention is just to watch that your hands don't turn up/out. Watch out for your pinky/ring fingers, that they don't start to raise up to high that it impedes the movement of your other fingers. One good trick is to set your hands over your kneecaps while your sitting at the piano and raise them slowly, keeping the natural curve your fingers find around the knee. Try to minimize tension from your shoulders and back all the way through to your fingers, so you feel like you're just floating over the keys, but still fully in control of your movements.

I want to see what you look like with that camera on your head! :roll:

As far as your playing, what Jazz+ said. Or as Wynton Marsalis supposedly says, "You're practicing too fast!" He doesn't need to hear you nor me nor anyone else to be correct in saying that. Play the thing so slow it's painful and unmusical. Also break it down into small segments. Play that segment over and over until it's right. You may even find that you have to make the segment even smaller, and/or practice it slower. Gradually add the next note or part but only when you have the first part down. Or, do the next segment separately, get that locked down, and then put them together.

Don't beat yourself up. You can't play that, yet. Learn the power of that word. Yet. Give yourself credit for what you have done so far and be happy that you've done that much. Keep giving yourself credit for both what you do and for working on it. Keep at it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Probably ridiculous! It"s a GOPRO on a head strap that fits over my head.

Not really! This is actually a thing on YouTube. There's a ton of head strap GoPro videos like this...

Finally a post from you that actually shows a genuine interaction with your keyboard. I'm impressed. I really am!

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Paul, How long have you been playing? It takes a long time to develop piano skills and it take the right drills to develop those skill.

Things like hand independence (Required for the Peanuts song), don't come naturally to anyone. When I work on a drill, I have to break it down into the most simple components. Over the course of several days I can feel my synapses connecting. My brain literally has to create new connections. Re wiring your brain is not a simple task. It takes lots of hard, well thought out practice.

You must practice so that one item becomes automatic, so that you can do it it your sleep. Then you can layer a new skill on top of it. For instance, can you do the peanuts baseline and pick up a cup of coffee and take a sip. Can you play that baseline and talk on the phone. You need to drive these skills into your subconscious. Good luck

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

Playing Linus and Lucy with the right feel takes a surprisingly high level of competency and groove. I've heard lots of good pianists who can't do it, or more commonly can sort of do it but something is off and listening to it is just annoying.

For someone at Paul's level, L&L is something to aspire to, but I would advise him not to break his sword on that rock. Aim for something you can do well with less work. Those feelings of accomplishment will spur you on.

Baby Elephant Walk?

And get a real flesh and blood teacher. Not right now, of course, but when there's a sufficient ebb in the current crisis.

I know I sound like a broken record, but Paul doesn't need more internet, he needs real life experiences.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Paul, How long have you been playing? It takes a long time to develop piano skills and it take the right drills to develop those skill.

Things like hand independence (Required for the Peanuts song), don't come naturally to anyone. When I work on a drill, I have to break it down into the most simple components. Over the course of several days I can feel my synapses connecting. My brain literally has to create new connections. Re wiring your brain is not a simple task. It takes lots of hard, well thought out practice.

You must practice so that one item becomes automatic, so that you can do it it your sleep. Then you can layer a new skill on top of it. For instance, can you do the peanuts baseline and pick up a cup of coffee and take a sip. Can you play that baseline and talk on the phone. You need to drive these skills into your subconscious. Good luck

Not long enough! I never really grasped the piano, because of the way i was taught, and what i was taught. CLASSICAL! Ugh! Plus, i was pushed through each piece without fully mastering it. And i absolutely hated practicing.

Playing Linus and Lucy with the right feel takes a surprisingly high level of competency and groove. I've heard lots of good pianists who can't do it, or more commonly can sort of do it but something is off and listening to it is just annoying.

For someone at Paul's level, L&L is something to aspire to, but I would advise him not to break his sword on that rock. Aim for something you can do well with less work. Those feelings of accomplishment will spur you on.

Baby Elephant Walk?

And get a real flesh and blood teacher. Not right now, of course, but when there's a sufficient ebb in the current crisis.

I know I sound like a broken record, but Paul doesn't need more internet, he needs real life experiences.

Well, i have tried a few other pieces, that are not jazz, that I struggle with.

You are better on keyboards than I will ever be!

Have you tried playing other instruments?

In my early teens I tried everything I could get my hands on, accordion, harmonice, recorder, flute, saxophone, piano, organ, bass, guitar, drums/percussion - probably leaving something out.

I ended up being a guitarist, left handed and playing right handed. I also enjoy percussion and bass, very different instruments in some ways. In orchestral terms piano and guitar are both considered to be members of the percussion family although the guitar is not generally considered to be an orchestral instrument, it just meets the critera of being struck.

The improtant thing is that I found a path that felt right for me.

Lots of great advice above on improving your keyboard skills if you've already figured out that keyboards ARE your happy place. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Let go. Looking at your hands there is obvious tension there, I can see and feel it. Stuff like the peanuts tune is tough and people never get the feel or phrasing on that tune correctly...especially the left hand. It's like playing the original version of the Entertainer. Those songs are famous for piano players to learn but rarely played correctly. I know what it's like to want to play stuff that is beyond your skill level but like Joe said it will come in time.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I have ! I have played the guitar in middle school 84-85. Drums, not too much. Recorder, may as well have a sign on my back that says kick me. I have messed around with the mc 303 groove box. Have a Theremin can get a decent technique, just not a melody. I did take an electronic music class in high school. Learn how to program a mini moog. How to make tape loops with magnetic tape.

My parents wanted me to make music, but i wanted to create sounds. Oh well, I"ll figure something out?

Let go. Looking at your hands there is obvious tension there, I can see and feel it. Stuff like the peanuts tune is tough and people never get the feel or phrasing on that tune correctly...especially the left hand. It's like playing the original version of the Entertainer. Those songs are famous for piano players to learn but rarely played correctly. I know what it's like to want to play stuff that is beyond your skill level but like Joe said it will come in time.

I"m sure if i had practiced more as a child, i would have more relaxed hands. I"m not sure what prompted me to try and tackle Linus and Lucy. Playing the black keys is hard enough. Trying to progress too the next part has always been a challenge, mentally for me.

I agree that it would benefit you to play out among other people. When it becomes safe again, find a jam somewhere and just play. Get to the point where the music just flows out of your hands, and doesn't require consciously thinking about it. That's how I got to the point in my playing where I am now.

You're off to a great start. Just relax, and remember to have fun with it.

Also remember that many of us here have been doing this for a LONG time. I took my first lesson 57 years ago. I'm still learning.

Posting your video here has increased your credibility. It can be very difficult to put yourself out there among people that you respect. There have been many times where I've played at a jam, and other keyboard players that expressed interest in jamming just gave up and left because they felt intimidated. Don't let that be you.

Remember, also, that while you can learn from players that you consider better than you, they can learn from you as well.

We have a brotherhood here, (sisters included, or course). I'm sure there are many others that will echo my sentiment.

Good to have you as a member.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Forget the general idea of relaxing the hands. Instead concentrate on relaxing the centers of your palms.

Slow makes fast. Fast makes slow. Find a songbook or sheet music of easy versions of sound songs you enjoy. And use the metronome if you have one on the piano. Start hands separate if you need the do them slow with the metronome then work up to speed. Or learn slow pieces. You can learn to play the A section of Linus and Lucy. It"s fun. Go for it. But... I think you would benefit from playing less challenging pieces. Do the same thing with Bach Chorales. The Chorales are great easy pieces for sight reading development. I play a slow simple Adagio in F by Haydn that kicks my ass because of how you need to strike the chords to make the voicings sound good. Do the piano until the piano does you and have fun.

But that"s just me. I"m no teacher.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I don't know anything about teaching the piano, and I'm not a particularly gifted player. But I get paid to play in bands in bars, and it's the funnest part of my life.

So, here's my advice: keep screwing around with L&L if you want .... but play the shit out of "Home Sweet Home". The whole song. Play it a lot. Play it until you're sick of it, and then play it some more. Learn the lyrics, memorize them, and sing over the verses. Memorize the piano part, too. Then play and sing at the same time.

All the while using a metronome some of the time.

I can hear you trying when you play. Once you got it, I won't hear you trying. I'll just hear you playing.

PS: You might also enjoy "I Don't Like Mondays", in particular, the intro.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I don't know Cars, but the intro and especially the ending of jump are the type of thing that I think you would benefit from, in terms of feel.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Paul,

I think it"s a great idea that you recorded yourself, not only for us, but for you.

We are very poor judges of our own playing. When I play, I am aware that sometimes I have very poor timing, but until I just did a series of livestreams on Facebook to entertain our friends during our social distancing/quarantine, I had no concept of how much of an issue it is. I am appalled at my timing on some of those songs and it is a reminder to go back to a slower tempo and get things steady before raising the tempo again.

It"s disheartening and can be a bit discouraging, but as you"re learning pieces and bringing them up to tempo, I"d recommend recording some of your attempts for yourself to 1) pinpoint where you may have issues prior to moving on and 2) enjoy your own progress!

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Hi Paul,

yes, that's great that your recording yourself, and I really should be doing that too, thanks for the reminder! I'm not sure I have the balls to share it with the world though, but it's a very good thing that you do!

You've been given really good advice, let add my 2 cents (as a non piano teacher)

I think these would be some good resources for you:

1. Improvising Blues Piano by Tim Richards

2. The Ana Magdalina Notebook, Bach

Maybe a method book series for adults, I've heard good things about Faber and Faber, and the Alfred series.

Or better yet, get with a teacher that has lots experience with adults that you can help prepare you for what you want to do.

BTW, what is your goal? Play in cover band? Play popular solo piano? classical piano? Jazz piano? These's some many directions you can go with this amazing instrument., but whatever area you are interested in, a good foundation in the basic fundamentals will serve you very well!

Thank You montunoman! The video Is unlisted on YouTube, because I only wanted advice from this forum, and not from the general population. I don"t really have a goal, it"s more for my own personal enjoyment. I also have a keyboard synthesizer as well.

Relaxing playing the piano has been a constant struggle for me, also I am constantly overthinking.

Paul, I commend you for recording yourself and posting the video. We can learn so much from recording ourselves, especially video. When you watch the video do you see and hear what doesn"t meet your standards for performance (I.e., the level of performance that folks you admire play at)? If so, then you"re in a good place. Can you record a video of yourself playing something with accurate timing, a good feel, good dynamics, good balance between your hands, and is expressive? I suggest it"s these nitty gritty details that you want to focus on. Please realize that the piece you can attain this on will probably not be Linus and Lucy, which is a challenging song. Find an easier song that you can nail and then build / grow from there. The place to be for growth is a piece that is challenging, but attainable. I hope this, along with the other advice provided in this thread, is helpful.