Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Connect spdif out to spdif in

Posted this in mikes recording forum as well, but don"t seem to get a response, so am trying here as well.

On my focusrite 18i6, can I connect the spdif out to the spdif in directly as an routing option te record music on my computer in my DAW? I know there are software solution for this as well, but i don"t use the spdif"s so I thought this was a handy utilization.

Rudy

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a word, no.

The SPDIF In on your Focusrite will accept a SPDIF Out from any device that has one.

The SPDIF out on your Focusrite can be plugged into a SPDIF out of any other device (but not your Focusrite) that has a SPDIF In. This would probably be another recorder of some type.

In your DAW, you probably have to select inputs or outputs for every channel that you want to record.

For the input, you can select the SPDIF IN, or any of the analog inputs that your Focusrite offers.

I do not know if you can select the SPDIF Out as an output. (Too lazy to turn on that computer right now).

While we are on the subject. I use the SPDIF out from my Motif to the input of my Presonus interface. Much less fussier than using analog inputs because you don't have to worry about levels, etc. The problem is that sometimes, for reasons that I can't figure out, the fidelity of the SPDIF channel is horrible. Other times it is excellent. If somebody has some ideas about this, I am all ears.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Hi Rudy, sorry for the delay but I have posted in the Studio Workshop about this.

mike

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Ok, just for future reference on this I just tested connecting spdif in with out. It does work, like a charm. For me this is a very good solution. The mixer software of my audio interface makes it very flexible in routing internal audio to everywhere. And I like not having another piece of software.

Case closed:)

Rudy

Did this always with my Motu audio interfaces to have a headphone mix with the audio going to FOH.

Mainstage --> SPDIF-out

Headphone mix:

- SPDIF in (softsynths)

- AUX from FOH

MAIN OUT:

- SPDIF in

Now using a RME Fireface that has all outputs also available as inputs for every mixbus

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/