Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Corona Virus thread

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bing COVID tracking site is not showing fatalities in my county that I know occurred. I'll say this again: it's vastly underreported.

My wife's hospital has put out word to expect a shit storm in mid-April.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I had a guy visit me today to buy a keyboard I had listed on local CL at the beginning of February. It was a bizarre transaction but may become the new normal for the next several months if not a year or more.

Prior to the guy coming to my house, I set the board up with a powered speaker and headphones in our Casita, which is isolated from our main home, so he wouldn't be exposed to my wife and son and they wouldn't be exposed to him. He showed up on time and I powered everything on, all the while maintaining 'social distance'. Even though I told him I had wiped the board down with Clorox wipes, he didn't want to play it so I offered to play it for him and he said great. I went through a demo of the sounds and the controls, etc. and he liked it. He didn't haggle about the price and put an envelope with cash on a table, while holding it with his own wipe. I picked up the envelope with a wipe of my own and counted the cash. It was all there. He carried the board with wipes on his hands and I carried the sustain pedal, power supply, USB cable, and user manual to his car maintaining social distance. We exchanged pleasantries and he went on his way. I put the money in a safe place in the Casita, threw away the wipes I had used, thoroughly washed my hands, and then went back into the main house.

Interestingly enough the guy's name is Thom Gimbel and he plays with Foreigner. After he told me who he was while I demoed the keyboard, I confess that I was little star struck because I'm just a lowly week-end warrior who plays dives for $50 - $100 a pop. I verified his ID on Google after the transaction over.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

The Bing COVID tracking site is not showing fatalities in my county that I know occurred. I'll say this again: it's vastly underreported.

My wife's hospital has put out word to expect a shit storm in mid-April.

Yes that would be a fair estimate sadly :(

I don"t know if I should go here or not. These are interesting and troubling times but I have great hope that things will not be as bad as many fear in the US. An excerpt of something wrote in a FB conversation with friends .....

'From 2002 - 2015 one of my major responsibilities was Business Continuity Planning. During that time I worked with a Pandemic Task Force. In 2008 we were terrified of Avian Flu crossing over to humans and the possibility of bird to human transmission. ******** sits in THE primary North American migration route ... but that"s another story. What is relevant is back in 2007-2008 a lot of the plans and protocols were developed and refined. I believe we are comparatively ahead of the game. 911 was such a kick in the ass when it comes to incident management in this country. You are not going to see what is happening in Italy happen here unless this thing morphs into something super duper deadly. My daughter is a hospital nurse and work has slowed down because they are managing capacity in preparation of a big spike. There are supply shortages in places like New York but that is short term. Lay people expect too much out of elected politicians and political appointed short timers. The guys that really manage the bureaucracies have been planning for this for 10-15 years. That"s just my perspective as a former BC planner.'

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Interestingly enough the guy's name is Thom Gimbel and he plays with Foreigner. After he told me who he was while I demoed the keyboard, I confess that I was little star struck because I'm just a lowly week-end warrior who plays dives for $50 - $100 a pop. I verified his ID on Google after the transaction over.
So what was the board you sold him? And what did he pay for it? :) (You know somebody had to ask.)
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

So what was the board you sold him? And what did he pay for it? :) (You know somebody had to ask.)
I sold him my Kurz SP6 for $900 which was my asking price. Based on past experience with CL, I was expecting to get about $700 - $800, so I'm happy with the sale. I'm planning to use the proceeds to upgrade to a Kurz PC4 after the plague ends (assuming I'm still around). FWIW... Tom said he's been a long-time Kurz user going back to the K250(?) and Micropiano.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

We had a K250 at school in the MIDI lab years ago. It was highly desirous to me. One of those or the MIDI Board in pristine condition would still be an awesome find.

They're around! One sat on the local-ish Craigslist for a good seven months before selling, and that was with the pedal unit/power supply too. In great shape and all, just big and kind of limited for a lot of people now. Also know a guy from another forum who just picked one up recently that needs a little repair.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

One of the nurses on one of my units tested positive for the virus. I have to avoid that area for now. Things here in NYS are tense.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Man .... with no gigs do I want to buy a computer or a PlayStation to play video games. I better not go down that road. Forever may it dominate my destiny.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Story idea: "Corona's Run" â In order to save the economy, everybody age 70 or older must expose themselves to the virus.

On a similar vein one of my millennial colleagues made the comment, rather unkindly I thought given I was part of the conversation, when we were discussing the gender and age distribution of infections in Australia, highest is males aged 60 to 69 currently, that it would be good thing to wipe out the boomers so the millenials could go and live in their houses.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Man .... with no gigs do I want to buy a computer or a PlayStation to play video games. I better not go down that road. Forever may it dominate my destiny.

I highly recommend Zelda Breath of the Wild, on Nintendo Switch. The Switch is a really nicely-done "console" (can use it hooked up like a regular console, or take it around like a tablet.)

Anyway, I'd never played a Zelda game before. All I know is--that game was amazing. It looked, felt and sounded (with the same piano soundtrack style) like you were in the world of Spirited Away (one of the few anime movies I really like, and it happens to perhaps be my favorite movie, period.) It's open world and I spent a lot of my time ignoring quests and just climbing mountains to hang-glide off, dumb stuff like that. And while it can be relaxing and zen to play, it also can be hard, I died plenty of times :)

'The Boomer Remover" as it"s been currently called amongst certain demographics.

Yes, among the moron demographic.

Young people have a way-too-high chance of ending up in the ICU with this, and getting lung damage IF they have to be ventilated. They just don't tend to die nearly as often as "boomers". Probably would be a good wake-up call to spend a week solid gasping for air surrounded by dying people and not being allowed to have visitors.

One thing I haven't seen talked about is the long-term effects on the survivors who had been hospitalized. I wonder if we're going to have a bunch of people who survive this but due to the lung damage it seems to cause, will end up poor quality of life and/or shortened lifespans because of what they've been through.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Joe it will have a lot to do with what kind of health they were in the first place I'd think. It will be interesting to see the fall out. If I here of anything in the hospital I will post it here.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Thom is a kick ass musician (multiple instruments).

I had the fortune to meet him once at a meet and greet. Nice guy

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I had a guy visit me today to buy a keyboard I had listed on local CL at the beginning of February. It was a bizarre transaction but may become the new normal for the next several months if not a year or more.

Prior to the guy coming to my house, I set the board up with a powered speaker and headphones in our Casita, which is isolated from our main home, so he wouldn't be exposed to my wife and son and they wouldn't be exposed to him. He showed up on time and I powered everything on, all the while maintaining 'social distance'. Even though I told him I had wiped the board down with Clorox wipes, he didn't want to play it so I offered to play it for him and he said great. I went through a demo of the sounds and the controls, etc. and he liked it. He didn't haggle about the price and put an envelope with cash on a table, while holding it with his own wipe. I picked up the envelope with a wipe of my own and counted the cash. It was all there. He carried the board with wipes on his hands and I carried the sustain pedal, power supply, USB cable, and user manual to his car maintaining social distance. We exchanged pleasantries and he went on his way. I put the money in a safe place in the Casita, threw away the wipes I had used, thoroughly washed my hands, and then went back into the main house.

I commend you for all your prudent precautions. Still I can't help thinking your encounter was shall we say, cold as ice.

I commend you for all your prudent precautions. Still I can't help thinking your encounter was shall we say, cold as ice.
Yeah the transaction was "cold" and hopefully won't become the new normal. Despite the precautions, the guy, Thom, was very friendly and mellow. We chatted for 10-15 minutes about music, the Plague, Vegas vs. LA, and exchanged phone numbers and emails.

I've seen conspiracy theories that the Democrats, Republicans, Chinese, US Military, and / or Rich People caused the Covid 19 virus.

They're all wrong. I've figured it out. It subconsciously bothered me as I was doing my bills today (payday). Then it came to me while I was washing my hands afterward.

Question: why do you think they're advising us that Purell isn't enough? Instead they're pushing us to use plenty of soap and water, at least 20 seconds at a time, in the UK advising "every two hours", in the USA "Every time you touch anything," but always variants on the same message on every continent?

Any time you want to find the origin of evil, you should look to see who has the most to gain. And then it hit me:

It's all the doing of the Municipal Water Supply folks.

My water bill was increased by $6.00 US this month. Coincidence?

:duck:

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I've seen conspiracy theories that the Democrats, Republicans, Chinese, US Military, and / or Rich People caused the Covid 19 virus...

You forgot Netflix.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

You should have heard my last conference call with the rest of my team. Our guy who covers the southeast is doing great with all of his pulp and paper accounts making all that toilet paper. Those of us who cover O&G in the Gulf, Permian, and Bakken, are dismal. Then our guy in the Northeast lives in NY and has the total lockdown going on. It was an interesting call. Actually, it was at the end of the day and we shared video and had a happy hour with our group, toasting one another with a "quarantine". It was a nice break from all the more serious and dismal discussion, actually.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've seen conspiracy theories that the Democrats, Republicans, Chinese, US Military, and / or Rich People caused the Covid 19 virus.

I don't know that anybody in particular caused this, but these situations will always be used to accomplish one thing or another.

Churchill-never-let-a-good-crisis-go-to-waste-331x219.jpg

P.S. I know you're joking, Tom :cool:

Question: What's an acceptable level of death to restart the economy?

Careful, this is getting a bit too close to being political.

That said, it's worth pointing out a "big picture" view. Until we have a vaccine (likely 12-18 months), we are just managing the spread. I've seen people suggest that if we suck it up and lock everything down, it will all be over sooner. This is the exact opposite of what we are trying to do - not the isolation and distancing part...yes, we need to do that. But the result, if we do it right, means it will go on LONGER, not shorter. Look at the "flatten the curve" graph. The goal is for the peak to remain below the capacity of our medical resources, but by flattening, it also extends the time of infections. Ultimately until there's a vaccine, the same percent of the population will eventually be infected. Unfortunately, some percentage of them will die. The deaths we are currently trying to prevent are those that could occur because our medical system can't provide adequate care. That's what is happening right now in Italy.

So as such, for now it's about taking measures and throttling spread to a level that our Healthcare providers can handle. It's not stamping out the virus, it's just slowing it down and spreading it over a longer period of time.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Question: What's an acceptable level of death to restart the economy?
Hopefully without overstepping Dan's warning: I consider that to be a good ethical question. The problem for me is that the converse question is also a good one. It goes something like this:"how much increase in suicide / poverty / drug addiction / crime are we willing to endure in the name of disease prevention?"

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361