Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Challenge attaching Leslie CU-1 to Hammond XK-1c

My CU-1 half-moon switch arrived last week and I finally got around to reading the instructions and attaching it to my Hammond XK-1c.

A bit of a challenge, so before I resort to a file, I thought I'd better check to see what others have done before me (too hard to find the older discussions due to search terms).

The main problem is that the screw that holds the side panel in place, is in the way due to its position and its height. So the half-moon barely attached at one end, and isn't level.

One option is to replace that screw with a flat-head vs. round-top, so it doesn't present quite as much of a problem. Another is to file the CU-01's spacer to create a gap for it.

I initially removed that third screw (the other two are placeholders for the CU-1), but quickly found that it is essential to keeping the side panel on firmly.

One could live with things the way they are, but I suspect this wasn't Hammond's intent to have this resulting problem. I even inverted front-to-back of the spacer, to no avail.

Regardless, I am glad to have this device as it is more ergonomic that slow-response button sequences on the keyboard front panel, when switching the Leslie speed and on/off.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea if this would apply to your situation. I have attached half moons to B3s using 3M Dual-Lock. Mainly, this was to allow them to be removed and stowed down beneath the manuals for transport. The connection is very secure and takes an effort to separate. It doesn't lose strength with many repeated removals (so claimed). I have also used it to secure a few items with protruding pan-head screws (pedals, small mixers) to flat surfaces (the side of keyboard stands, rack trays). With clearance for screw heads cut into the material, when the two are stuck together it is thick enough that there is no interference.

Hmm, on-line stores are often a problem when it comes to accessories. But this one has instructions for a gazillion models, and breaks it down into four basic groups of products that have their own quirks. It comes with two spacers just in case you have one of the other models. The taller spacer is the one to use for the XK-1c, according to the directions.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I ended up with the wrong version which I bought off eBay for cheap. Once I had the right one it was really easy to install. At least back then they didn"t come with multiple spacers. Sorry, Im not sure if this info is of any help.

Ah yes, I think that explains how they consolidated for one-shoe-fits-all. I suspect they just didn't think about this detail, or figured people wouldn't mind removing the sideboard screw.

Now I understand the confusion at their website, as they listed legacy versions, but only one or two current models. They probably decided it was cheaper to simplify inventory handling.

hmmmm ... I have an XK-1c and order the CU-1 (both) from Sweetwater .... I had no problems attaching it to my board ... will take a picture and sent it to you FYI

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Thanks. They might have changed this model a bit over the years, based on what I saw at their website when comparing current vs. legacy production runs.

I've taken a photo, but I can't find any help page for the new forum or any menus or pop-ups that might contain commands for attaching a snapshot.

This is the error message I get when I click on the "Forum Help" button at the bottom of the page:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<', expecting end of file in /home/music/public_html/languages/english/faq.php on line 46

Thanks, but where is this mysterious button of which you speak of located? I have scrolled and scanned all over the page.

Maybe it only shows up for Windows users, or on smart phones (I don't have one)?

Ah; it didn't show up before because I didn't notice it was already in editing mode. Grey vs. blue, but probably because I use light mode (ever since I started on computers in 1980, I have had trouble with dark mode due to astigmatism). Hopefully this photo shows whether other users just disregarded my concerns and are less picky than I am, or if the CU-1 construction changed with recent production runs.

767.jpg.028d993fc753b6d3176dd38efd948adb.jpg

Thanks. Seems like a design flaw when they did the XK-1c, as there were two placeholder screws where the CU-1 attaches, so someone probably didn't take all the necessary measurements.

There are plenty of ways to solve this problem, but I'll await more feedback and then pick the solution I think it best. My preference is to minimize "changes", for re-sale value (if I go XK-5).

No; it took me so long as it was to find the right part, after putting it off for years due to confusion. By the time I ordered, I was very confident, and the instructions reconfirm that I ordered the correct part as they were updated to include newer models such as SK-1 and XK-1c and to group those models with the appropriate subset of instructions.

The easiest solution is likely to be to replace with a flathead screw. I'll try that in daylight tomorrow. Then if necessary, I may file a half-moon into the half-moon unit, to recess for the sideboard screw.