Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

I have a feeling this thread will become pretty populated over the next couple of weeks and months...

Back in January, I was in NYC for the APAP conference and hooked up with my percussionist mentor & friend, Scott Kettner. I figured we'd shoot a couple of low-key videos, but he called his videographer neighbour to come over â who happens to be from the same suburban neighbourhood as me, originally! Here's one of the results:

Man, that is just my favorite style of tambourine playing. If I knew someone who could do it, I might never hire a drum set player again...

Oh, right, keyboard forum. Great piano playing too! :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city/80s-style-improv-on-fl-studio

Here"s my newest track. 80s cheese in its finest. As in: 808 disco drums, octave synth bass, synth brass stabs, DX7 (in this case Dexed) Harmonica solo, and cheesy sax!

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

So this just came out.

My little off-jazz organ trio got approached by a small label that caters pretty much exclusively to 7" vinyl DJs (talk about niche!) whether we had two danceable tracks we might like to license.

We didn't, so we wrote them. Spent one rehearsal each for writing the songs, one rehearsal finalising and practising, and one on recording them, live.

They turned out pretty good, and, hey! â turns out they're available not only on black and ivory vinyl, but also for download:

https://burningsolerecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-question

Drawbars_The_Question_A_black.jpgDrawbars_The_Question_A_ivory.jpg

Drawbars_The_Question_B_ivory.jpgDrawbars_The_Question_B_black.jpg

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Here"s my newest track. 80s cheese in its finest. As in: 808 disco drums, octave synth bass, synth brass stabs, DX7 (in this case Dexed) Harmonica solo, and cheesy sax!

Oh man, that Sax was cheesy indeed!!! Obviously that was your goal so you NAILED it. I get the retro feel from everything else but what's the story behind the sax part? I've listened to 80's synth music, but can't remember a sax being played like a piano. I'm just curious.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Oh man, that Sax was cheesy indeed!!! Obviously that was your goal so you NAILED it. I get the retro feel from everything else but what's the story behind the sax part? I've listened to 80's synth music, but can't remember a sax being played like a piano. I'm just curious.

That sax part was input into the piano roll and I used DSK Saxophones with the Tenor Sax part. Yeah, probably meant as a homage to 80"s synth sax sounds from the Korg M1 and the like, it also explains the lack of pitch bend.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

My Top 40 band did another horn heavy pop arrangement. We took Aretha Franklin's version of 'What A Fool Believes' and put a spin on it. Probably not as funky as the original but still a blast to help arrange and play on.

[video:youtube]

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Honestly it would sound a bit more modern with the horns and strings replaced by VST or keyboard stuff. That"s how I do covers anyways.

And now for something completely different: some work around repetition in images and in music; everything is mine : images, video editing, and of course the music.

Unfortunately, only work in progress; a day or another i'll finish it, considering all the bands activities are stopped.

[video:youtube]

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

My Top 40 band did another horn heavy pop arrangement. We took Aretha Franklin's version of 'What A Fool Believes' and put a spin on it. Probably not as funky as the original but still a blast to help arrange and play on

That sounds great! And cool arrangement! Who wrote it?

Honestly it would sound a bit more modern with the horns and strings replaced by VST or keyboard stuff. That"s how I do covers anyways.

Who said we were trying to be modern? Dirty Loops is not the vibe we are going for.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

Are the strings a permanent part of the band, or just used for this session?

We just used them for this session. We cut 3 tunes like this one in one day. This is the most 'tweaked' arrangement we did that day. It sure was fun having them and writing for them. Would be fun to use them live but to do it right you'd need like 16 people in the string section to balance out for volume. Probably not gonna happen. Could also play along with VSTs but I already have my hands full.

Here is my new album in its entirety in mp3 form--if you dig it, please download the wav files and paypal me $10 usd. All my arrangements, and mostly my compositions, beautifully recorded in Mexico City and San miguel de Allende.

HYMN FOR HER

Doug Robinson, piano, melodica, keys

Hernán Hecht, drums

Benjamin Garcia, acoustic and electric basses

With Iraida Noriega, vocals on RAIN

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Great job Jazzooo and Bobby!

Not that I don"t like live instruments but I think they sound very good so far, some a bit over the top more than others but not necessarily a bad thing. I"m looking to record an album some day with actual guitars, bass, drums, and both hardware & software synths (software mainly for brass samples, strings samples (both probably the ones in KFL) and synth sounds not on synths that I"d have available).