Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Semi-OT: Piano Technician’s Guild on cleaning pianos/keys
#3035112 03/26/20 03:50 AM
Platinum Member
OP Offline
Platinum Member
Thought this information might be helpful for people here. Just don’t wreck this thread like the last one about disinfecting keys (remember forum rules on politics), okay? smile

The Piano Technicians Guild has published an article on cleaning and caring for your piano (and probably applies to keyboards) during the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.ptg.org/covid-19?fbclid=IwAR20rQ8sz_rlTEHf_4RB2eMuTqwVk8_-ZcrbafEAGer79JfejVcVcS7AyBM

Snippet:

General Recommendations

- Use alcohol-based disinfectants, do not use bleach-based disinfectants or any product containing citrus.
- If using a spray or liquid bottle, use a disposable towel like WYPALL L30. Put the disinfectant on the towel and not the piano.
- After use, immediately put the towel or disinfectant hand wipe in the trash and wash your hands as the CDC recommends. Do not use reusable towels or cloths which could spread germs to your kit or the next customer.
- Always follow up with a dry towel and never leave any liquids on the piano or keys.

Section about keys specifically:

Keys

The keys are the most important part. Generally speaking, most disinfecting wipes or sprays should be safe to use on the keys. If the keys are dirty, Cheng suggests using Cory Key-Brite to clean and then follow up with the disinfecting wipes or sprays

Last edited by Mighty Motif Max; 03/26/20 03:52 AM.

Yamaha: Motif XF8/YS200/CVP-305/CLP-130/YPG-235/PSR-295/PSS-470
Korg: Krome 61
Kurzweil: PC3
Roland: JV-1000
Casio: CT-370
Kimball Valencia/Broadway/Conn 465/WCOC Reed Organ/Allen ADC-220/Accordions
KC Island
Re: Semi-OT: Piano Technician’s Guild on cleaning pianos/keys
Mighty Motif Max #3035117 03/26/20 04:49 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I use 70% rubbing alcohol on a cloth or paper towel.

Online Jazz Piano Instructor | 1966 Mason & Hamlin acoustic | Kawai ES110 | Mojo 61 |
Re: Semi-OT: Piano Technician’s Guild on cleaning pianos/keys
Mighty Motif Max #3035143 03/26/20 12:18 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
+1 on alcohol. The main difficulty I’ve had using disinfecting wipes on the keys is many leave a sticky residue that inhibits gliding and is the main cause of my skin splitting alongside the nails. When they were available, I used One Step brand sanitizing wipes sold in individual packs. They’re the only ones I’ve seen that are alcohol based and left the keys absolutely clean and dry with no residue, but have been impossible to find since February.

Rod
Here at home we'll play in the city