Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gator Frameworks GFW-UTILITY-TBL Keyboard Table?

Hi everyone,

I"m looking for a decent stand that folds up to be really compact for in a music locker along with a keyboard/case and other stuff. I"d like it if it doesn"t get in the way of expression pedals etc, like the double-x stand I"ve used at one church did. It also needs to be able to be set at a good height for playing seated. Light-ish weight would be very nice for carrying.

I came across the Gator Frameworks Heavy-Duty Keyboard Table online, which is a nice price and looks like it folds up nicely. However, I"m seeing a fair number of stability complaints, and there doesn"t appear to be any way to add on a mic attachment, or a mixer adapter (I"d like to have an 'all in one' setup with everything on one stand for space reasons). I know there"s an On-Stage stand that would have options but I"m concerned about it being flimsy. I"ve also seen the K&M 18950/53 mentioned, but they seem kind of expensive.

Thoughts? Anyone used one of these?

Thank you!

-Max

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I"ve looked online at the Gator table too. It"s the best looking and in every way seems to beat the others in price, leg extension engineering, folding absolutely flat (I haven"t seen any others that do), clips and pull latches, etc. Seems they"ve thought of everything.

But the one thing that"s scared me off is the leg positioning: they"re straight vertical - and this has to be the stability issue, and the reason why other table stands won"t fold completely flat.

If you have a narrow depth slab like a Casio PX or the new RD88, it might fit the bill, but front to back stability would probably be a problem with a deep board.

Here for the gear.

Thanks. The board in question would be a Kurzweil PC3 (76). I did see that in one review someone claimed that the legs could go out further than 90° but that it wasn"t reflected in the pictures. The attachment thing bugs me too.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Great! Also curious about the height...I"m 5"6' or so. Have you by chance been able to add any attachments to it, like the On Stage or K&M ones let you?

Good to hear about the stability - so you're saying the legs do spread beyond 90°? They must then spring back inwards so they fit inside the tabletop when folded? That would be great.

Here for the gear.

I have that stand and love it. No stability concerns.

My #1 negative is that the minimum height is a little too high for me.

that is my only gripe too it works but I would of liked it if it went down a bit more. Other than that it's the stand for my RD-2000 a sizable board and been stable for about 18 months now.

I got that stand 3 years ago and gigged it for a long time, up until recently when I replaced it with a Stay stand for reasons of smaller footprint. The Gator stand was very stable, I never had any issues about that. I put a single Nord 61 key board on it and nothing else. I liked it a lot. The one negative I had about it is that's it very heavy - heavier than the keyboard. But that's also something that makes it very stable. I play in a few bands, but I also play in the house band at a weekly jam and the other drawback is real estate on the floor is at a premium. There's no stage. I was either in the way of the jam leader or patrons who were bumping into the board. I got the Stay stand as an experiment to see if I could reduce the footprint which indeed it does, but it makes it hard to position the volume pedal. That's what was nice about table stands (i've had a few) - you can position pedals exactly where you want them and there's nothing else to get in the way of your feet and legs. The other thing about the Gator is that I play standing up and I needed something to go high enough. I don't know what it's minimum height is; my concern was the maximum height. I'd recommend the stand for stability. What's really nice about the Stay stand is that it breaks down into pieces that pack away in a bag and it's very lightweight. The Gator stand is heavy but it does fold flat so it can fit into the trunk of a car or on the floor of the back seat of a car.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Thank you everyone! Feel free to keep commenting with your experiences with this stand...information is sparse on the internet so I"m sure it will be helpful to others. I"ve decided to go with a K&M 18950 for the flexibility of adding attachments, and I found a good price that made them almost the same cost.

Received a response back from Gator themselves on whether attachments can be used with the stand and without affecting stability:

Hello,

You could attach anything with a clamp to the leg, but it's difficult to know if it will be useful to you based upon the ergonomics of your situation.

Thank you.

So yes, as long as your attachment fits the size of pipe on the leg, it should work! Just have to make sure you have sufficient height if needed. :thu:

Max -

I've been using one for I guess about a year. It's a good inexpensive stand, I consider it good value.

It's light, it folds flat, it's easier to schlep than my other stands. Sets up fast, and for digital piano playing it's more than stable enough. It has a bubble level built it (that I've never used). The grippy padded top keeps the board from sliding on the stand.

Some shortcomings: for vigorous gigging, it isn't as stable against tip-overs as my Baby Spider. It doesn't go quite as low as I'd prefer for seated playing (my only usage of it). While it folds flat, the legs (when folded) don't lock in place, so they tend to fly outward when I'm carrying it (this could be McGyvered with a velcro strap or something, I just haven't done it). The little screw tighteners for the overall width don't do a darn thing (they don't tighten enough to hold the width in place). The little pull tag to unlock the legs can sometimes get caught in the hinge.

Overall, little nits that make the stand worth $99.00, but I wouldn't pay much more than that.

The little screw tighteners for the overall width don't do a darn thing (they don't tighten enough to hold the width in place). The little pull tag to unlock the legs can sometimes get caught in the hinge.

True; I forgot about that (and thought maybe it was just the one I got).

That said, I haven't run into a scenario where I really needed to lock the width down.

Also, re: the legs flying out . . . they seem hinged pretty heavy and in my experience unless I try holding it with the legs facing downward, they stay folded tightly. Which is a huge quality of life improvement from gigging with a Z-stand; four different arms, each pair on opposite sides of the folded stand made it impossible to tilt the thing in any direction without at least one big metal bar swinging out from the body.