Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Synths, has anyone bought one?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Model D. I love it but have only had a couple of live playing opportunities. Used it to play the solo in Magic Man for a concert. A friend of mine has the Deepmind and absolutely loves it. Haven't played on that yet.

I got a Model D. Have had problems getting it to work well with any of my MIDI Keyboards. Tried it with a Casio PX-5S and it worked briefly but then stopped working. I then tried a Nord Stage 3 Compact and again it worked briefly and then cut out. Next I tried a Juno 60 w/Minerva that has MIDI and it worked consistently but plays in too high of a range and apparently no way to set the MIDI octave. A Jupiter 6 w/Europa was slightly better but still played an octave too high with no obvious way to change it. It does work well with PK5 MIDI pedals for a Taurus-like set up. A modern MIDI controller Keyboard would probably work fine but I really wanted to use this on stage without adding another Keyboard.

A friend has the Neutron and Odyssey. He had problems with his first Neutron and received a replacement. He especially likes the Odyssey.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Many have bought them, but less may want to admit it considering recent controversy about the owner.

I have DM12 and also a RD-8. They are fantastic. Uli is a nutcase.

Hope everyone is well

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

I have a Model D, bought it about 18 months ago. Sounds great. Fun to play. No issues. I also wish Uli would shut up.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Yea, when Uli Attacked that journalist, I started to have some doubts with the company. Plus reading and hearing about his business practices, and treating his employees! Some of which I read on Reddit! Also trying to sue Dave Smith? I have read some good and some bad things about Behringer. I also read where he posted on Linked In about replacing himself. That he was looking for new leadership?

I love that he has made more affordable synths, I just hope he can produce them without too many flaws. There is nothing more frustrating the hard ware that doesn"t work right. Spend more time on R&D and testing, and a little less on teasing and rushing.

After that journalist thing, and learning more about some other past incidents, they are on my do-not-buy list. I don't have a long list and they are the least "entrenched" on it :D If they show a change in behavior over time I may reconsider. It helps temptation that none of their products fit my wants and needs exactly right now. I have owned some of their gear, my current audio interface is great I must say, but no synths.

I have a model D as well. I just sent it in because there is a really loud hiss coming out of it. It's still under warranty, so it will be repaired. But I don't think I will buy Behringer again, also when you have followed their news lately...

Rudy

Bought a DM12 a couple years ago. The USB connector stopped working after a few days. Got a replacement and that had sticking keys, once in a while. Tried to live it for a bit, but sold it off. I did get most of money back - best thing I can say about it.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Only a few people here, so hardly accurate stats, but it sounds like its possible there were quality control check issues with the DM12 at some point.

Can't say if that's true or not. But as with anything, give it a good look over and try everything on it within the first 30days should it need to go back.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I"m old and have been around a long time and I am

terrible at selling gear so .... I have no need for cheap copies of old gear. I have too much old gear. Hell I still got a B3000 in the garage.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I just bought a DM12 in January of this year. Needed a lightweight synth to carry with my SV-1 and thought it'd be fun and was relatively inexpensive. I was pretty busy at the end of January and all of February so only had time to take it out of the box, plug it in and mess with it a bit. Seemed fine. On day 32 or so of my ownership, I set it up with a few other keyboards and immediately heard it was out of tune. While I was able to tune it with the global tuning parameter, it was set almost to its max to get it in tune. Not good. Tried a calibration and it failed. Did a bunch of troubleshooting with different firmware, calibration routines, etc, no luck. Contacted the retailer and they basically said you're 2-3 days beyond the return policy...too bad, call Behringer. While it took a week for them to respond, once they did, things moved along pretty quickly and they had me send it in for repair. This was just a week ago. Was to arrive at the repair shop on Tuesday of this week, only to find out from the tracking info that it was "returned to sender". Their facility is closed due to Covid 19. So..it's on the way back; a two week process with 0 results. I guess we try again once their facility opens, but, this is turning out to be not so much fun. For the short amount of time I spent with it, I thought it didn't sit real well "in the mix"...can't really be more specific than that. Perhaps more time and tweaking will work that out. At this point I'm hoping for something similar to ChiefDanG...trying to get as much money back as I can by selling, after Behringer fixes it.

"May you stay...forever young."

Two Model Ds. Both purchased before the recent Uli/Behringer fracas. One new (good price, got it at Black Friday pricing). One used (REAL good price, bless 'im). The new one had the firmware update problem that some of the early ones did. That one was replaced with a new one. Both have performed flawlessly since.

People seem to have had negative views of Behringer for quite some time--at least some people. Me? I'd never had anything of theirs prior to these two Ds. Then the thing came up a month ago, or whenever it was, and that seems to have hardened some peoples' hearts. I can see their point of view, but I don't know that there's a single corporation out there that's lily-white. You just choose your enemies. Will I buy a 2600 when it's finally released? Maybe. Probably. Like I say, you can find something to complain about for any company out there if you dig. I choose not to dig. There's enough hatred and negativity out there already and I don't feel the need to add to it or wallow in it. We have enough other problems to worry about.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.