Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Several weeks ago I took a trip to Sweetwater to purchase an 88 note digital piano of some kind. After playing every 88/76/73 keyboard they had, I left with a Casio Privia Pro PX-560. For real! For what I need, this thing is perfect. Good feeling, full-length weighted keys, lots of very good sounds, an extremely easy to navigate touch screen, etc. and there is a lot under the hood. Given that all my gigs have been cancelled like everyone else, I have it set up in my dining room (wife is happy about that) and can't express how much fun it is. Casio is a serious force.

I also took home a Motion Sound KP610S which I am very happy with as well.

I got to use the combo on one gig before the hammer came down and it sounded great. My band mates were very impressed with the sound.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Several weeks ago I took a trip to Sweetwater to purchase an 88 note digital piano of some kind. After playing every 88/76/73 keyboard they had, I left with a Casio Privia Pro PX-560. For real! For what I need, this thing is perfect. Good feeling, full-length weighted keys, lots of very good sounds, an extremely easy to navigate touch screen, etc. and there is a lot under the hood. Given that all my gigs have been cancelled like everyone else, I have it set up in my dining room (wife is happy about that) and can't express how much fun it is. Casio is a serious force.

I also took home a Motion Sound KP610S which I am very happy with as well.

I got to use the combo on one gig before the hammer came down and it sounded great. My band mates were very impressed with the sound.

Dave, I'd love to hear a more detailed review of the amp if you have time and more experience playing it out? That's the one I had my eye on....

Thanks!

Mike

I've had my Korg Grandstage for a month, and although there are a few things here & there, I'm very happy I chose it.

The action is EXACTLY what I've been looking for â comparisons in well-known instruments would be somewhere in between a CP88 and CP73. Light, responsive, not mushy. Almost that of an acoustic upright, including brushed blacks and not-glossy whites.

Sounds are mature, and I hear no loops or velo jumps. I wish they were slightly more editable but on the other hand I have a thing about over-tweaking anyway. Wonderful Grands & Tines, which is what I bought it for, and a superbly intuitive hardware interface. I was thinking about a CP73 or RD88 but damned if I just haven't had my fill up to here with AWM2 and Supernatural in new clothing.

This isn't the place for a review, and KGS has been out long enough now that there are lots of good reviews on YouTube (Chuck, Macsaint). I think the only thing I'd trade it for might be an SV2 for the tweakability, but for the forseeable future, who's touching store demo models anyway?

Here for the gear.

I bought a Telecaster a few weeks back, and I'm completely I love with it. :love::boing::rocker:

Also acquired a Line 6 Spider amp last week, and just ordered an FBV foot pedal controller for it today.

dB

Please don't forget to post the link here to your Craiglist ad for all that now redundant keyboard gear you used to hoard :love: :love:

I bought a Telecaster a few weeks back, and I'm completely I love with it. :love::boing::rocker:

Also acquired a Line 6 Spider amp last week, and just ordered an FBV foot pedal controller for it today.

dB

Please don't forget to post the link here to your Craiglist ad for all that now redundant keyboard gear you used to hoard :love: :love:

Gone over to the dark side, Mr. B?

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

More stuff...mainly because none of my previous gear is going to work well with the PC3 at college and/or is too bulky (I've always used a two-tier Z stand, a Yamaha Motif XF8 and maybe a second board, several pedals, a speaker, and a mixer on a stand lol). Also I should have bought a small mixer with effects long ago, but never did. Ordered from the music store where I used to live (five hours south), and am having them ship the gear. It's going to be a tough time for the smaller guys and besides, they had good prices too as a bonus.

Yamaha MG10XU - can use this with iOS for livestreams too!

MG10XU.jpg

Pedals for the Kurzweil - Roland DP10 and a Boss FS-5U (for a rotary switch - I think I'll be getting a lot of use out of the KB3 mode).

Roland-DP-10.jpg

Boss-FS-5-U.jpg

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I"ve arguably been there for a while. I have a few nice acoustics and an acoustic Variax, and I have five basses.

The Tele is the first electric I"ve owned though. What an awesomely expressive instrument. I"m totally hooked on the twang of the bridge pickup.

Hooked it up to a wireless body pack and wandered about the house playing today. Way too damn much fun. :love:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I guess that you could say that my new computer was a musical purchase, as I'm doing more recording that I have in years since getting it.

Dell Optiplex 780 - Core 2 duo, 8GB Ram, 2TB HD, 3 gHz processor speed.

I've been able to install my Sonor X3 Producer on there, I'm got my Korg Legacy Collection, Some nice new VSTs. Only issue I have is the license for my old copy of VB3. Can't find the number on the old computer. I can't afford a new copy of it right now.

I found this very nice drum application. MTPower Drumkit2. It's shareware.

It has a large library of patterns, intros, fills. You can change the length of the patterns, You drag and drop the patterns into the editor, then when completed, you drag the whole thin into the DAW track. You can then go in and edit each individual note as needed. Really simplifies putting together my drum track.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

You should also try Synth1 and Dexed.

Synth1 is,

Wait for it...

A Nord Lead 2! In freeware VST of course.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

And the picked acoustic. Might like a Strat also.

That might help. Right now I'm working on a piece that has some nylon guitar in it, and will need some rock guitar later in the song. For now I'm using a Korg Wavestation VST for the guitar.

For some reason I can't seem to get the M1 to recognize the input. I show that it's getting to the track, but I can't get it to make the M1 sound. Has to be a routing issue somewhere in the M1 VST. But, the Wavestation works perfectly.

I'll try out that guitar VST.

And I need to get the VB3 working properly. I want to change from Wavestation strings to Hammond at the same time I switch from Nylon guitar to rock guitar

Willie Dixon

I've had my Korg Grandstage for a month, and although there are a few things here & there, I'm very happy I chose it.

The action is EXACTLY what I've been looking for â comparisons in well-known instruments would be somewhere in between a CP88 and CP73. Light, responsive, not mushy. Almost that of an acoustic upright, including brushed blacks and not-glossy whites.

That's something I'm going to keep in mind. I've found that my playing style (and my penchant for Wurlitzers) really lends itself to a nice buttery upright action, and I prefer my $90 home piano to some grands I've played... consequently, some of the most beloved digital piano actions feel a little too heavy for me.

1962 B-3
One of these days I'm going to come check it out, Jason! But not for at least a couple of months, to be sure... :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

More stuff...mainly because none of my previous gear is going to work well with the PC3 at college and/or is too bulky (I've always used a two-tier Z stand, a Yamaha Motif XF8 and maybe a second board, several pedals, a speaker, and a mixer on a stand lol). Also I should have bought a small mixer with effects long ago, but never did. Ordered from the music store where I used to live (five hours south), and am having them ship the gear. It's going to be a tough time for the smaller guys and besides, they had good prices too as a bonus.

MG10XU.jpg

Pedals for the Kurzweil - Roland DP10 and a Boss FS-5U (for a rotary switch - I think I'll be getting a lot of use out of the KB3 mode).

Roland-DP-10.jpg

Boss-FS-5-U.jpg

I'm looking to replace my old Mackie 1202-VLZ. It has been through a lot, and some of the channels have stopped working right, probably because so many of my gigs are at the beach, and the salt air is not good for it.

I looked at that Yamaha as a possible replacement.

How do you like it?

Willie Dixon

MG10XU.jpg

I'm looking to replace my old Mackie 1202-VLZ. It has been through a lot, and some of the channels have stopped working right, probably because so many of my gigs are at the beach, and the salt air is not good for it.

How do you like it?

It is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I don't know yet. I'll let you know when I do.

It was either this or the Soundcraft Notepad-12FX, which I actually was planning on getting. My music store had a factory-refurbished C-stock MG10XU with full warranty so it was actually cheaper than the Notepad, and the Notepad doesn't work 100% with iOS (4-track usb output, but channels 1-2 are locked to inputs 1/2, and not the stereo mix). That would also mean it wouldn't work as nicely with Skype (mono, input 1), Facebook Live, etc where you wouldn't be able to select individual inputs. Also needed a laptop stand or something to attach it to the mic stand/keyboard mic attachment. USB output is 24-bit 44.1 or 48 khz, vs the Yamaha's 24-bit 192 khz. Size was nice though and the Notepad was supposed to be very low-latency; they even advertised using it as an audio interface for virtual instruments on stage! The Lexicon-based effects sounded really good online too. If you don't need stereo-mix usb capability on channels 1-2, or anything more than 44.1/48 khz audio via usb, then I would say the Notepad-12FX is a strong option. Plus it's $30 cheaper usually.

I'll let you know how I like the Yamaha when I know myself. :thu:

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Jason, that is excellent. Good for you. :2thu:

Dave it needs some work but I have been moving. Now that there is down time I will oil it tonight and let it sit while doing some cleaning.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

MG10XU.jpg

How do you like it?

It is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I don't know yet. I'll let you know when I do.

It was either this or the Soundcraft Notepad-12FX, which I actually was planning on getting. My music store had a factory-refurbished C-stock MG10XU with full warranty so it was actually cheaper than the Notepad, and the Notepad doesn't work 100% with iOS (4-track usb output, but channels 1-2 are locked to inputs 1/2, and not the stereo mix). That would also mean it wouldn't work as nicely with Skype (mono, input 1), Facebook Live, etc where you wouldn't be able to select individual inputs. Also needed a laptop stand or something to attach it to the mic stand/keyboard mic attachment. USB output is 24-bit 44.1 or 48 khz, vs the Yamaha's 24-bit 192 khz. Size was nice though and the Notepad was supposed to be very low-latency; they even advertised using it as an audio interface for virtual instruments on stage! The Lexicon-based effects sounded really good online too. If you don't need stereo-mix usb capability on channels 1-2, or anything more than 44.1/48 khz audio via usb, then I would say the Notepad-12FX is a strong option. Plus it's $30 cheaper usually.

I'll let you know how I like the Yamaha when I know myself. :thu:

I'm just looking for a mixer that sounds as good as the Mackie, and I thought that Yamaha may be the answer. Most of the comparable mixers either have only XLR main outs, or 1/4 main outs. My 1202VLZ has both options, as does the Yamaha. And the Yamaha is $80 less at Sweetwater.

I'm in 2 different bands, and my set up is different for both. One I run mono out of the 1/4 out. The other stereo out of the 2 XLR outs. So, I need to have both.

After I repair my laptop (internal VGA cable failure) I my decide to use it on stage, and the USB capability might be nice to have. The 1202 VLZ does not have that, and the Mackie boards I've looked at with USB only have one type of main out, not both

Willie Dixon

1962 B-3

Nice! Have fun!

I"ve arguably been there for a while. I have a few nice acoustics and an acoustic Variax, and I have five basses.

The Tele is the first electric I"ve owned though. What an awesomely expressive instrument. I"m totally hooked on the twang of the bridge pickup.

Hooked it up to a wireless body pack and wandered about the house playing today. Way too damn much fun. :love:

dB

I'm afraid I'm also edging towards the dark side. Just picked up a Line 6 M13 multi-effects box and a Joyo JF-14 American Sound (Deluxe '57 approximation) amp sim pedal to go with my Yamaha Pacifica 112V guitar. Bought a Boss power supply for the Joyo too since I don't want to run on batteries. I've had the guitar for almost two years but I'm sick of having to use headphones with a computer plugin amp sim or running it through the audio inputs of my Motif XF (all the amp presets are garbage IMO and I can't save custom presets, so it's lots of tweaking every single time). Don't have space for an amp and I'm kind of volume-sensitive anyways. This should be fun.

Line-6-M13.jpg

Joyo-American-Sound.jpg

Maybe my redemption is that the M13 is stereo and I can run my older synths through it. ;)

I decided to get all the available upgrades for my new-to-me Kurzweil PC3 since who knows when they'll be discontinued. Well, technically the Kore 64 probably is already. Besides I wanted it to be "maxed out" before it's my only board for six years! :cool:

So...I bought the Kurzweil Kore 64 ROM expansion... - I don't like the stock horns much and this has lots of new horns among other things.

Kurzweil-Kore-64.jpg

...and the Kurzweil PC2SRIB ribbon controller.

Kurzweil-PC2-SRIB.jpg

Other needed accessories and stuff I should have bought a long time ago:

Yamaha BMS10A Microphone Stand Adapter (for the MG10XU), a Moog EP-3 expression pedal (thanks everyone), a K&M 21120 telescopic mic boom (for my Z-stand), a Yamaha PA150 power supply for my old PSR-295 (I've been switching the YPG-235's adapter back and forth for years because the PSR didn't come with one used), and lastly a D'Addario PW-CGT-05 Classic Series Instrument Cable - 5' (fancy name for a 5-foot TS cable for my new Boss FS-5U footswitch).

I decided to get all the available upgrades for my new-to-me Kurzweil PC3 since who knows when they'll be discontinued. Well, technically the Kore 64 probably is already. Besides I wanted it to be "maxed out" before it's my only board for six years! :cool:

So...I bought the Kurzweil Kore 64 ROM expansion... - I don't like the stock horns much and this has lots of new horns among other things.

Kurzweil-Kore-64.jpg

...and the Kurzweil PC2SRIB ribbon controller.

Kurzweil-PC2-SRIB.jpg

I have a Forte. I wish there was more expansion sounds.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• 2 weeks later...

My stimulus checks came in today, and I pulled the trigger on a new mixer. My Mackie 1202 VLZ has gotten VERY long in the tooth, with over 20 years of service near salt water. It served me quite well, but it's time to replace.

I'm getting a Yamaha MG10XU. Has 4 standard channels with one knob compressor, 3 stereo pairs, built in effects, and a USB port. Plus I'm getting a case for it.

Costing me less for the mixer, case, and 2 30' mic cables than if I'd done a direct replacement for the Mackie

The big consideration I had when deciding on the replacement was that I needed to have both 1/4 and XLR main outs. There were only a few small mixers that had both.

I'll have plenty of time to get used to it before gigging with it.

Willie Dixon