Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond B-3X for IPad

Midi flow didn't work for me either. It could detect some apps but not others, and didn't detect B3-X. I have the feeling that for folks who understand midi, problems like this are easy to solve. For folks like me who have always approached midi as just a physical plug-to-plug affair, there are new concepts and terminology to grasp. I haven't seriously tried to climb that learning curve yet.

I was able to detect the app with midiflow. You have to change a setting in the b3x app (midi input device), but I still couldn't figure out how to get the app to let the the channel 1 drawbars CC's pass though fine while getting the channel 2 drawbars to be filtered and changed to correspond with what b3 is expecting. Too much workaround

Honestly, why can't b3x just allow for different channels for drawbars as well as notes?

Midi flow didn't work for me either. It could detect some apps but not others, and didn't detect B3-X. I have the feeling that for folks who understand midi, problems like this are easy to solve. For folks like me who have always approached midi as just a physical plug-to-plug affair, there are new concepts and terminology to grasp. I haven't seriously tried to climb that learning curve yet.

I was able to detect the app with midiflow. You have to change a setting in the b3x app (midi input device), but I still couldn't figure out how to get the app to let the the channel 1 drawbars CC's pass though fine while getting the channel 2 drawbars to be filtered and changed to correspond with what b3 is expecting. Too much workaround

Honestly, why can't b3x just allow for different channels for drawbars as well as notes?

This stuff all pretty much does the same thing whether it's on a PC or tablet. Yeah it's a pain but once set up you shouldn't need to mess with it. I just perused the Midiflow manual for about 10 minutes and I think what you want can be done. I work with similar midi plugin tools in Reaper all the time.

You need the additional Controller Remapping app as well. However if it can't detect the B3-X that's a problem. I'm not sure if I could figure that out without being physically there, and even then. But if you need some help configuring the Midiflow app itself let me know. This I think I can do.

This stuff all pretty much does the same thing whether it's on a PC or tablet. Yeah it's a pain but once set up you shouldn't need to mess with it. I just perused the Midiflow manual for about 10 minutes and I think what you want can be done. I work with similar midi plugin tools in Reaper all the time.

You need the additional Controller Remapping app as well. However if it can't detect the B3-X that's a problem. I'm not sure if I could figure that out without being physically there, and even then. But if you need some help configuring the Midiflow app itself let me know. This I think I can do.

I bought the addons for midiflow, but couldn't get it to work. I definitely got it detected in bx-3. I was able to play and move drawbars, but couldn't find a way to make both sets work.

did you figure it out? please let me know if you have an idea.

Thanks!

I saw in Jim A's demo that it has midi learn...granted, that was a pc demo but by most accounts the ipad version is identical (?)

Can anyone verify that the drawbars and overdrive (the main things I want to map) are "learnable" using the ipad version? And of course the leslie speed, which I'm used to doing from a pedal. I don't know if the modx controls can be tweaked to send custom ccs or if they only send what they send and it can't be changed (this is something I'm going to explore in the meantime.) I'd assume that with learn it will just latch onto anything coming in, or else why call it "learn" :D

I can't find the actual manual, if there is one, to save my life. Having no b3x ipad demo is keeping this from being a sale currently.

The manual is in app. I think someone posted earlier that it's only available there.

Here's a list of parameters that can be controlled by midi CC. All have midi learn so will map to whatever CC you choose.

Leslie Speed

Leslie Brake

Master Volume

Expression

Leslie Amp Gain

Perc on/off

Perc 2nd/3rd

Perc volume switch

Perc decay switch

C/V type

Vibrato Great on

Vibrato Swell on

Volume (distinct from "Master Volume")

All drawbars: upper, lower, pedal

Overscreen on (haven't tried this so don't know)

EG PG on (ditto)

Stomp Chorus on

Spring Reverb on

Wah on

Wah pedal

post cabinet compressor on

post cab EQ on

post cab reverb on

sustain

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Excellent, thank you! That's certainly more than enough for my particular needs.

Moog model d being free right now makes it more likely I'll get this, since I had an itunes balance from some cards that needs a usin' :D

For those that didn't know: Moog model d is free, go grab it!

When using MIDIFlow with B-3X on IOS, you have to create a virtual MIDI port to interface with the B-3X because Hammond didn't provide a MIDI port on B-3X to interface with other IOS apps. You can also use the KeyStage app, which provides virtual MIDI ports that can interface directly with Hammond B-3X.

When using MIDIFlow with B-3X on IOS, you have to create a virtual MIDI port to interface with the B-3X because Hammond didn't provide a MIDI port on B-3X to interface with other IOS apps. You can also use the KeyStage app, which provides virtual MIDI ports that can interface directly with Hammond B-3X.

I believe AUM works as well, but I don"t know about Camelot.

Here for the gear.

Hey IK/Hammond. I know you follow my posts for good ideas so here is another one. It would be cool to have the option of setting the leslie control on only one of the 2 manuals. So for example chorale on the bottom, tremelo on top. Brake on either one.

FunMachine.

Hey IK/Hammond. I know you follow my posts for good ideas so here is another one. It would be cool to have the option of setting the leslie control on only one of the 2 manuals. So for example chorale on the bottom, tremelo on top. Brake on either one.

Can"t wait for April 1st?

Can"t wait for April 1st?

I'm not foolin'.

FunMachine.

I was thinking of getting get Hammond B-3X for iPad but thought I would try the desktop version first and noticed that the drawbars step between each of the stops...0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 so you can't slide smoothly between them. Instead you hear the sound stepping between 3, 4, and 5 as you move a drawbar from 2 to 6, for example, much like the VK organs as opposed to sliding smoothly as it does on my A100, my Hammond SK2 or like VSTs such as VB3 or even Galileo on my iPad.

That Rudess clip reinforced two things:

1. That even famous keyboard players get shafted by the mix :P

2. He could have been playing the Kronos organ and nobody would likely have noticed much of a difference in a loud mix like that

It did sound ok, from what I could hear of it. Logic just tells me that I chase a good organ sound for really no good reason, as I'm the only one who is all that critical and nobody can really hear the nuances anyway in rock music! (But it WILL NOT stop me from doing so, pffft on logic!)

Did Jon have 24 different sounds? I can think of 3 that would get me through a set of DP songs. Really 2. OK really 1.

I use hard rock organ, decrease the reverb. The preset in b3x designated as Purple whatever is kinda muddy.

It's hard to imagine what 24 presets will be offered. The share presets update sounds cool. I'll wait till the first adopters around here try it first. I just got this version working on my ipad mini 4 and would hate it if the app got sucky again.

FunMachine.

2. He could have been playing the Kronos organ and nobody would likely have noticed much of a difference in a loud mix like that

It did sound ok, from what I could hear of it. Logic just tells me that I chase a good organ sound for really no good reason, as I'm the only one who is all that critical and nobody can really hear the nuances anyway in rock music! (But it WILL NOT stop me from doing so, pffft on logic!)

We chase a good organ sound because it makes us rise to the occasion. A pure Hammond/Leslie sound inspires us regardless of the actual keyboard we"re playing. I still can"t believe how good this app nails the real deal.

I"ll have to install a fan on my PPA to move air...........

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

24 custom Deep Purple presets free in forthcoming update

The press release links to Smoke on the Water. I linked to Hush where at 5:55, you can hear the B-3x more distinctly.

BTW: A concert on Mar 14 in Mexico City.... Social Distancing? Just sayin! :sick:

I'm sorry, but this it's kinda lame, a band like Purple where all its repertoire its based in a Hammond organ playing with a guy that has no chops as organ player, besides using a plugin!!

I was thinking of getting get Hammond B-3X for iPad but thought I would try the desktop version first and noticed that the drawbars step between each of the stops...0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 so you can't slide smoothly between them. Instead you hear the sound stepping between 3, 4, and 5 as you move a drawbar from 2 to 6, for example, much like the VK organs as opposed to sliding smoothly as it does on my A100, my Hammond SK2 or like VSTs such as VB3 or even Galileo on my iPad.

I tried this just now and I cant hear stepping like you describe. I used a korg nanokontrol. Maybe you got superears and hear stuff I dont but if I can't hear it the audience sure wont. Or maybe your controller is causing the effect.

You did say you were using the desktop version. I'm using the ipad.

FunMachine.

24 custom Deep Purple presets free in forthcoming update

The press release links to Smoke on the Water. I linked to Hush where at 5:55, you can hear the B-3x more distinctly.

BTW: A concert on Mar 14 in Mexico City.... Social Distancing? Just sayin! :sick:

I'm sorry, but this it's kinda lame, a band like Purple where all its repertoire its based in a Hammond organ playing with a guy that has no chops as organ player, besides using a plugin!!

A few comments from a guy that is really glad I have an iPad/ BX-3

- If they were going to give us a free presets, I could think of quite a few other players instead of Jon Lord that I would want. Emerson, for starters (especially from the "Nice" era). Also, conventional church and classical settings. I grew up taking classical lessons on a Hammond C-3.

- that being said, Jon Lord is an incredible player. Not lame. Check out the classical stuff that he wrote

- Also, strongly agree- Mexico City having live concerts as late as March 14th was really stupid. They will be lucky if they don't have an Armageddon like disaster on their hands. So will everyone else.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I tried this just now and I cant hear stepping like you describe. I used a korg nanokontrol. Maybe you got superears and hear stuff I dont but if I can't hear it the audience sure wont. Or maybe your controller is causing the effect.

Thanks for the reply, @Jr. Deluxe. Can you set the drawbars between the steps on the ipad e.g. 4 1/5 on drawbar 1?

Thanks for the reply, @Jr. Deluxe. Can you set the drawbars between the steps on the ipad e.g. 4 1/5 on drawbar 1?

So I cranked the gain on my monitor system and pushed in all drawbars, turned off perc, cv and set leslie to chorale. Then I pulled out the last white drawbar on the right. With the gain super hot, yes I can hear the notches when sliding out the drawbar. And it's pretty faint but audible. If I had went on to pull a couple more bars out and played with that much signal gain I would have blown my speakers and ears in about 30 seconds. I dont see it as a real problem for me. For you jazzers it might bother you. I'll never hear it.

FunMachine.

We chase a good organ sound because it makes us rise to the occasion. A pure Hammond/Leslie sound inspires us regardless of the actual keyboard we"re playing. I still can"t believe how good this app nails the real deal.

I"ll have to install a fan on my PPA to move air...........

Jake

Oh yeah, I actually agree. And it's not fair to judge concert sound from a cell phone vid if that's what it was.

Any time I've had access to a great sound (whether organ, piano or synth) I agree that it inspires you play. And with in-ears I can definitely hear the difference in sound when I play live.

Ironically this virus lockdown makes this app both a need and not a need--not a need because no gigs, but a need because I sold my Electro and now am scared to buy the Nord Stage I was going to due to job uncertainty. My modx organ got me through one gig before gigging stopped but I can't say it was thrilling to play.

Can you set the drawbars between the steps on the ipad e.g. 4 1/5 on drawbar 1?

You shouldn't be able to, since the real thing doesn't work that way.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

OK, to nitpick:

A real Hammond with ratchet drawbars (B-2 and older consoles for instance) has 8 discrete levels, with dead spots in between. When you set a registration on one of these organs, you have to be precise with the drawbar's location.

A real Hammond with smooth drawbars has 2 contacts on each drawbar which contact 2 adjacent levels at once when travelling between drawbar bus bars. This eliminates the dead spots, and might have the effect of adding a volume level "between the numbers", but I've never paid attention enough to say.

Moe

---

My thoughts on Upcoming update/Rudess clip:

1. I like that new presets are forthcoming in this manner. Understandably that while Jon Lord type presets are not first on a list for many (personally I'm fine with the choice), we're still in v1 of the software. So this could be the start of more presets in the future. It makes me wonder if adding two wishlist items are warranted: (1) Nested Presets.... presets in groups by genre, style, or some org level. (2) Ability to save presets as a file asset. This way, presets could be dev'd and shared by users. Maybe someone already asked for this, I'd have to check the IK board for that.

2. It's a notable instance of the iPad app used live, which I really like to see. As the app and iPad ecosystem in general matures, I like to see milestones like this where the iPad is used reliably for performance and general usage. More apps, more stability, more versatility in the iPad (even Android) environment... All Good! Note: I still urge that if you're considering B-3x for live use, run the app on a newer, higher powered iPad... The ones that are mentioned for "AUv3" on the Specs page of the IK site.

As for the concert... yeah Mar 14 seemed questionable at the least. I think that DP doesn't play again until May sans any postponements.

A quick note on Emerson sounds... I bought the B-3x app to supplement the relative weakness of authentic organs in my Korg Kronos. However, a few years ago Korg released a set of organ sounds KRS-06 for the Kronos which which were developed in partnership with artists, one artist being KE. I have to say that the Emerson organ Kronos sounds in the KRS-06 bank are excellent and out of sheer convenience I would be inclined to use the Kronos KRS-06 bank to replicate the KE sounds over the B-3x, even though B-3x is a vastly superior sounding organ to the Kronos in general. On the other hand, I do think that B-3x is capable of good KE sounds, but not with the current preset set. So the need for KE presets is certainly there. With the authentic sound, superb Leslie with custom amps, classic effects and studio post efx all-in-one, the B-3x is more than capable!

YouTube cued this up for me automatically after watching the Hush clip:

[video:youtube]

Is the Hammond sound definitely coming from the iPad?

I guess the church organ and synth lead are from the Kronos, but how does he switch instantly?

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

A quick note on Emerson sounds... I bought the B-3x app to supplement the relative weakness of authentic organs in my Korg Kronos. However, a few years ago Korg released a set of organ sounds KRS-06 for the Kronos which which were developed in partnership with artists, one artist being KE. I have to say that the Emerson organ Kronos sounds in the KRS-06 bank are excellent and out of sheer convenience I would be inclined to use the Kronos KRS-06 bank to replicate the KE sounds over the B-3x, even though B-3x is a vastly superior sounding organ to the Kronos in general. On the other hand, I do think that B-3x is capable of good KE sounds, but not with the current preset set.

Since you own both, it could be an interesting project to use the KRS-06 sounds as a reference and try to duplicate those particular sounds on the B-3X.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Is the Hammond sound definitely coming from the iPad?

I guess the church organ and synth lead are from the Kronos, but how does he switch instantly?

Cheers,

James

x

Hammond Organ is absolutely B-3x via iPad to my ears.

One guess...

ipad connected to Kronos USB for MIDI and audio

Combi's on Kronos constructed so internal sounds and ipad sounds are on different MIDI channels. This way, a combi can be "dead" for either ipad or internal when a certain preset is needed, effectively switching between internal and ipad sound

Combi's loaded in order in SetList on Kronos

SetList presets advanced by foot controller.

... many ways to accomplish the task.