Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best way to record a podcast using my Mac?

Hi, I know its possible to record podcasts with GarageBand, however, I've never given it a try before. I've seen the option on the latest version of GarageBand for OS X though, and other VoiceOver users have used it before, so it's accessible to my understanding.

I am setting someone up who has no DAW experience with something for them to record and edit their podcast.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you try surfing YouTube for a tutorial? I've learned all sorts of things there.

It should work fine. I haven't used GarageBand in a LONG time and don't remember much except the basics are easy to learn. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I am setting someone up who has no DAW experience with something for them to record and edit their podcast.

GarageBand is probably as good a choice as any. It's ubiquitous in the Mac ecosystem, so there should be plenty of tutorials. It's probably easiest to just ignore all the virtual instruments stuff, stick with recording/editing audio, and go for it.

I know quite a few podcasters who like to use Audacity. It's free and from what I understand, easy to use because it's audio only. It might be worth giving it a spin to see what you think.

Hi Sophia! I did a post a little while back on this (LINK) and the short answer is yes, Garageband works great. Happy to answer any specific questions if you like :)

• 3 years later...

I realize I'm resurrecting this and other threads after a while.

Garageband should be fine. You could also use QuickTime to record audio, believe it or not, but you would not be able to edit it in QuickTime, to the best of my knowledge. For that, you'd have to use a DAW of some kind, I would think. Or a video editor. I guess you could do that too and output to audio. I like Davinci Resolve for video editing, and as a bonus, it's free. Surprisingly great considering how powerful and professional it is. That might be a bit much when something simple like Garageband or Audacity would do just fine.