Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog 1130 Drum Controller

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember them, and played them in music stores. They were out about the same time I bought my Moog 1150 ribbon controller.

Ah, that makes sense. Just found the brochure. Probably have seen this before in picture form and just forgot.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DpJP9SdECo0/Twzby3Uv7pI/AAAAAAAABAg/73IzOhEgMQQ/s1600/moog_pricelist_74_inside.jpg

Wow; I'm pretty sure this is a first for me. I had seen the ribbon controller before but forgot about it. But I really have no recollection of ever seeing the percussion controller before. Anyone have any actual experience with it? There's got to be a reason why it faded away.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Wow; I'm pretty sure this is a first for me. I had seen the ribbon controller before but forgot about it. But I really have no recollection of ever seeing the percussion controller before. Anyone have any actual experience with it? There's got to be a reason why it faded away.

Expensive. Only works with Minimoog or Sonic 6 unless you McGiver an interface. Simmons drums came out with internal sounds at a cheaper price. Then the LinnDrum killed anybody's desire for analog drum sounds.

Moe

---

It worked with any Moog products with the Cinch-Jones accessory power plug - Minimoog, Sonic 6, Satellite, Minitmoog, Micromoog, Multimode, Polymoog. Relegated to special FX due to expense. Being pre-MIDI you couldn't interface them to a polyphonic synth. Build a drum kit with those, and you needed a synth for each one which was prohibitively expensive. Simmons was one of the first to make an analog drum kit by compacting the synth circuits to a small package.

There are a ton of drum trigger like things these days. Most of the effort is toward trying to sound like drums or at least trigger like drums. Maybe one or two expression parameters, but often just coarse intensity of hit. For folks looking to expand the boundaries of electronic music via percussion, it is either MIDI into a digital setup or very much DIY.

A couple promising avenues are driving control voltage from Sunhouse's Sensory Percussion software/pickups and ATV's AFrame.The latter is self-contained, but has a very synth like feel in configuring how it sounds. (Unfortunately, it does not have a good way to twist its plethora of virtual knobs while playing.). It would be really cool for a similar frame drum like device to be built primarily as a controller.

The Marimba Lumina is another example of possibilities, including being able to distinguish which stick (mallet) is used to hit the surface.

-Z-

• 3 years later...