Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We're all winging it

I know this is self-evident but on the last episode of the Keyboard Chronicles podcast (link in my sig), we interviewed Ellen Reid from Crash Test Dummies and she essentially kept saying she was an awful guest because she didn't know all the intricacies of her gear and didn't tend to think she was a particularly brilliant player.

Just shows how most of us feel a fraud, no matter the level of success. Again, it's obvious but thought it was worth repeating in current times as hopefully some of us spend more time playing from home etc.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but...I really /am/ a fraud.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Another fraudster here.

What I found fascinating was the level of stress she encounters while performing, so much so that she"s chosen to opt out of playing keys live.

I have a lot of respect for the honesty, vulnerability and lack of pretentiousness she displayed.

I look at this way...I'm not a great player chops-wise, my solos are sloppy crap, I can't read music and some of the music you all talk about here I wouldn't have a hope in hell of playing...but I bring other things to the table, like all of us I expect. I do very good harmonies (especially the more difficult lower ones) and am a good "glue player"...meaning hopefully I help bring the song together. I'd like to think I'm a stable personality that helps keep the band flare-ups in check a bit.

Now, occasionally I start actually feeling cocky, lately that has been about my lead singing, which has improved a lot. I'll try for some run or note that is overly ambitious and get reminded--yep, got a ways to go buddy :)

and am a good "glue player"...meaning hopefully I help bring the song together.

I love this term - I now have a potential strength as a player as that's what I think I bring to a lot of songs :thu:

Hello, where can I hear the Ellen Reid interview?

https://keyboardchronicles.com

Or anyplace you can get podcasts, just search for Keyboard Chronicles. There's also a Podcast Forum here.

(In fact, the site is in David's sig! I should have known. :facepalm: )

Impostor syndrome (also known as impostor phenomenon, impostorism, fraud syndrome or the impostor experience) is a psychological pattern in which one doubts one's accomplishments and has a persistent internalized fear of being exposed as a "fraud".[1] Despite external evidence of their competence, those experiencing this phenomenon remain convinced that they are frauds, and do not deserve all they have achieved. Individuals with impostorism incorrectly attribute their success to luck, or interpret it as a result of deceiving others into thinking they are more intelligent than they perceive themselves to be.[2] While early research focused on the prevalence among high-achieving women, impostor syndrome has been recognized to affect both men and women equally.[1][3]
Wikipedia

https://time.com/5312483/how-to-deal-with-impostor-syndrome/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/real-women/201809/the-reality-imposter-syndrome

https://www.fastcompany.com/40421352/the-five-types-of-impostor-syndrome-and-how-to-beat-them

And a jillion more when one searches. Not that I have ever looked into this. Not me, no. Nope. Not at all.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I love this term - I now have a potential strength as a player as that's what I think I bring to a lot of songs :thu:

You sound like brothers from other mothers. I"ve got a name for our band: The Glue Factory.

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

You sound like brothers from other mothers. I"ve got a name for our band: The Glue Factory.

A band for keyboard players horsing around. :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it." ~ H. L. Mencken

I'm not a fraud. I am a composer. I do accept that in some quarters, the two are thought to be far too similar.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

A band for keyboard players horsing around. :wink:

I can feel something coming together here :D

I think I'm a pretty good glue player â a jam leader said I was a good ensemble player â but compared to most of you, I really am a fraud as a keys player. After all, I use the transpose button all the time. As a sax player I am not a fraud but like Dirty Harry said, a man's got to know his limitations. I know what I can't do on sax that really good players can do. On keys, I mostly can't do any of the things that good players can do.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Fortunately, you can fraud most of the people, most of the time. Apologies to Abe.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I really am a fraud as a keys player.

Hey Lobo, as a fellow fraudster, I believe it's more than just committing the fraud, it's how you commit the fraud that can distinguish you from the other fraudsters. Furthermore, I've found that if there is a motive, an opportunity, and if you can rationalize it, this can lead to fraudulent playing. Finally, if you commit the fraud with some panache, you can often conceal it without detection, even from those that may have some skill at detecting fraud.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I have been seeing a counselor for this very reason for two years and she"s helped me immensely. The funny thing is that I never thought a non-musician could help me but she has really unlocked some things in me. I feel better about myself both as a musician and overall than I ever have.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

I have been seeing a counselor for this very reason for two years and she"s helped me immensely. The funny thing is that I never thought a non-musician could help me but she has really unlocked some things in me. I feel better about myself both as a musician and overall than I ever have.

That's a great point Mitch - this issue certainly covers a range of issues in life so the strategies to deal with them are probably similar as well.

if you commit the fraud with some panache, you can often conceal it without detection, even from those that may have some skill at detecting fraud.
I think that's my true skill as a player. As the saying goes, "The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you"ve got it made.'
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I've found that the best players are the ones that consider themselves a fraud. It's because they know that there is so much more out that that can be learned, and there are so many others that the fraudster considers to be better.

My name is Ronnie (Mr. Nightime) Wahl, and I'm a fraud.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

The guitarist in my country band has said this about me... "You're the glue that holds it all together." Just call me "Elmer's Keys". :)

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M