Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Corona Virus thread

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It finally hit "close to home" for me. My niece's fiancé was diagnosed with it yesterday. He had been feeling a little sick for a while and got tested (I don't know how, he's not high risk and his symptoms included some sinus-related stuff which doesn't usually come with COVID-19). My niece has some minor symptoms, not enough to get tested so she and her parents are now in self-quarantine (my niece and her parents live together). We can only hope that since my sister and brother-in-law visited my 90-year-old mom last weekend, they didn't/don't have it and didn't transmit it to her. So far, mom has been fine though.

I really think that the only way to really stop this thing is to get the testing ramped up so that everyone can get tested, and if they're positive, they get quarantined as well as those they've been in contact with. Otherwise this is going to keep spreading. Finding out who has it everywhere will also allow the rest of us to get back to normal.

Lockdowns not enough to defeat coronavirus: WHO's Ryan

Countries can"t simply lock down their societies to defeat coronavirus, the World Health Organization"s top emergency expert said on Sunday, adding that public health measures are needed to avoid a resurgence of the virus later on.

'What we really need to focus on is finding those who are sick, those who have the virus, and isolate them, find their contacts and isolate them,' Mike Ryan said in an interview on the BBC"s Andrew Marr Show.

'The danger right now with the lockdowns ... if we don"t put in place the strong public health measures now, when those movement restrictions and lockdowns are lifted, the danger is the disease will jump back up.'

Much of Europe and the United States have followed China and other Asian countries and introduced drastic restrictions to fight the new coronavirus, with most workers told to work from home and schools, bars, pubs and restaurants being closed.

Ryan said that the examples of China, Singapore and South Korea, which coupled restrictions with rigorous measures to test every possible suspect, provided a model for Europe, which the WHO has said has replaced Asia as the epicenter of the pandemic.

'Once we"ve suppressed the transmission, we have to go after the virus. We have to take the fight to the virus,' Ryan said.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The problem with testing everyone is the resources involved. Aside from the limited number of test kits available, it takes what..4 hours to run a sample on a PCR machine which might only be able to run 20 tests at a time....this means 120 tests per machine per day......how many machines are there in your hospital? Probably only a couple.

It would actually be faster to assume everyone is positive, quarantine the entire nation for 3 or 4 weeks, and take anybody who is really sick to the hospital for treatment. Of course...there are obvious logical problems with that solution.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I went to Walmart and Publix today to lick up a few things

Always thought you were better than that Ronnie :o.

:laugh:

Hey, I Ain't skeered

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

A pretty sobering tool showing each state and how hospital beds fare against various types of mitigation (from doing nothing all the way to wuhan-style lockdown).

https://covidactnow.org/

disclaimer: I don't know much about this site, a possible agenda, where it gets this data from. These are estimates of course that look into the future.

If this is even close to accurate, self-isolation is the only way hospitals are not going to be overrun. I'm seeing reports now out of Spain that older people are being taken off ventilators in favor of younger, and sedated so they don't suffer. That is horrific and I fear it will be our future if people don't take this seriously.

According to that, my state is two weeks away from the worst if we did nothing, and even further away from a flattened-curve peak time. Sheltering in place would need to be 3 months at least.

A helpful site

howmuchtoiletpaper.com

It will calculate how much you need based on criteria you input.

For my quarantine, I've got plenty of food, tp, and ammo ;)

.....................................................................................

Scary times, for sure. What is the relevance of guns in this thread or forum in general?

Eric, it was simply making light of all the Toilet Paper hoarding and those who have gotten into fights at the stores over it. No statement about guns or politics intended.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Dear Forum Brothers,

I am going dark on this forum for the foreseeable future.

For starters, I have to prepare for a late June 2020 album release and to shift a majority of collaborative efforts online.

On a human front, I am helping seniors in my building shop for food and medicine, as well as for out reach services for those most vulnerable and in need.

If anyone here wishes to get in touch with me, please pm me here for my email and cell and I will be happy to communicate through those media.

Remember, fear and panic never solved anything, but true knowledge, action and PURPOSE do!

Blessings to you all and your nearest and dearest!

Jim

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

...I really think that the only way to really stop this thing is to get the testing ramped up so that everyone can get tested, and if they're positive, they get quarantined as well as those they've been in contact with. Otherwise this is going to keep spreading. Finding out who has it everywhere will also allow the rest of us to get back to normal....

That idea of getting back to normal is unrealistic. It is not merely identifying and isolating those who currently have it and their contacts. Many of us typically cross paths with people we cannot trace back to. You could get a test on one day, determine you do not have it then contract it later the same day. Until there is a vaccine everyone who has never had it will need to live with consistent precautions that are far from what was once your normality.

A helpful site

howmuchtoiletpaper.com

It will calculate how much you need based on criteria you input.

For my quarantine, I've got plenty of food, tp, and ammo ;)

.....................................................................................

Scary times, for sure. What is the relevance of guns in this thread or forum in general?

Eric, it was simply making light of all the Toilet Paper hoarding and those who have gotten into fights at the stores over it. No statement about guns or politics intended.

Cool, thanks.

I had a date last night to the downstairs with candles.

Better than s-ending 200 at a restaurant.

FWIW Steve Wynn is paying everybody who works at his places.

Might stop when Mnuchens cash shows up, but what a gent he is.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

...I really think that the only way to really stop this thing is to get the testing ramped up so that everyone can get tested, and if they're positive, they get quarantined as well as those they've been in contact with. Otherwise this is going to keep spreading. Finding out who has it everywhere will also allow the rest of us to get back to normal....

That idea of getting back to normal is unrealistic. It is not merely identifying and isolating those who currently have it and their contacts. Many of us typically cross paths with people we cannot trace back to. You could get a test on one day, determine you do not have it then contract it later the same day. Until there is a vaccine everyone who has never had it will need to live with consistent precautions that are far from what was once your normality.

"Normal" was meant as a relative term. Obviously we'd still have to deal with the virus until we figured it out. But multiple articles I have read are suggesting exactly what I wrote. I didn't make it up out of thin air. It's unrealistic to expect life to go back to what it was six months ago, but it's also unrealistic to live in stay-at-home-lockdown forever, either. Even a full year of it or however long it takes for a viable vaccine to become available is unrealistically too long.

This Is How We Can Beat the Coronavirus

We can create a third path. We can decide to meet this challenge head-on. It is absolutely within our capacity to do so. We could develop tests that are fast, reliable, and ubiquitous. If we screen everyone, and do so regularly, we can let most people return to a more normal life. We can reopen schools and places where people gather. If we can be assured that the people who congregate aren"t infectious, they can socialize.

If we choose the third course, when fall arrives, we will be ahead of a resurgence of the infection. We can keep the number of those who are exposed to a minimum, focusing our attention on those who are infected, and enacting more stringent physical distancing only when, and in locations where, that fails. We can keep schools and businesses open as much as possible, closing them quickly when suppression fails, then opening them back up again once the infected are identified and isolated. Instead of playing defense, we could play more offense.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I would agree, though certainly I'm no expert. If things stayed the same (no treatment/vaccine, but also no mutation into something worse) we still are going to have to get back to something closer to normal life, eventually. At that point, we'd be counting on there being hospital beds available, ventilators and professionals to run them, because we'd be getting this NOT all at the same time due to some amount of resistance (which we currently do not have). This would end up becoming like mass shootings, floods, car accidents and lightning strikes...you do what you can to minimize risk but not everyone will escape harm.

Of course the hope is that treatments or a vaccine WILL become available, and there WON'T be a bad mutation.

My daughter is a hospital nurse at the large regional hospital. Protection protocols are amped but for the most part she says work quieted down. She is being assigned fewer patients. Yesterday she said she only had 5 patients. They are only admitting patients who absolutely need to be. I"m assuming the idea is to conserve bed capacity until the hammer falls and to limit transmissions.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

CEB

Sounds like your Daughter is working for a very keyed up Hospital.

Over here in the UK Drs and Nurses are dying since our Government have been very slow to implement measures and what measures that have been put in place have not worked effectively. We could be two to three weeks away from a massive rise in cases if the revised measures that have now been put in place are not followed.

Italy and Spain are in total lockdown, a friend in Spain who has health issues has been housebound for three weeks, and the Government there has extended the lockdown for another two weeks.

Stay safe, stay at home.

Col

Greece is in total lockdown too with 150 euro fines for infringements. Fortunately I live in a rural village on the island of Crete, which has only three cases across the island, all in hospital. The UK is still letting in flights, 16 from Rome yesterday, and that seems just crazy.

Went to espn as a diversion...saw a story about two different ncaa basketball players, I think from the same team that played in the tournament in the early 90s, had passed away from this. That would make them at least five years younger than I am, in their mid-to-late 40s. Not sure if they had any underlying conditions.

Lockdowns not enough to defeat coronavirus: WHO's Ryan

Countries can"t simply lock down their societies to defeat coronavirus, the World Health Organization"s top emergency expert said on Sunday, adding that public health measures are needed to avoid a resurgence of the virus later on.

'What we really need to focus on is finding those who are sick, those who have the virus, and isolate them, find their contacts and isolate them,' Mike Ryan said in an interview on the BBC"s Andrew Marr Show.

'The danger right now with the lockdowns ... if we don"t put in place the strong public health measures now, when those movement restrictions and lockdowns are lifted, the danger is the disease will jump back up.'

Much of Europe and the United States have followed China and other Asian countries and introduced drastic restrictions to fight the new coronavirus, with most workers told to work from home and schools, bars, pubs and restaurants being closed.

Ryan said that the examples of China, Singapore and South Korea, which coupled restrictions with rigorous measures to test every possible suspect, provided a model for Europe, which the WHO has said has replaced Asia as the epicenter of the pandemic.

'Once we"ve suppressed the transmission, we have to go after the virus. We have to take the fight to the virus,' Ryan said.

Joe, that article resonated with me as well. Thanks for posting it here.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

When you read "strong public health measures" and "test every possible subject" and see the word "rigorous"...that remind anyone of the US response, overall? This has been a cluster you know what.

I can"t help but feel that the economic effects of the lockdown will affect way more people way more severely than the the spread of the virus itself.

From what I hear, 78% of Americans lives paycheck to paycheck and more than half has less than $600 in their bank account. If that is correct, one month (or longer) without getting paid is going to devastate all of them.

I"m sure I"m going to get flak for this, but is that really worth it, when most people infected will experience a mild illness and recover completely within two weeks?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/dont-panic-the-comprehensive-ars-technica-guide-to-the-coronavirus/

I"m a pretty foul bastard. I bathe every other day, only wash my hands when I"ve taken a dump, I eat food I drop on the floor.

My point is germaphobes are very clean all the time never come into contact with germs, so they never made their immune system strong.

I swam in the Missouri River where you know they dumped raw sewage, I mean when you see dead fish and snakes that"s a sign your in the right place to tackle germs, beat them with those white corpuscles.

For the sake of peer pressure I follow the CDC"s advice but I guarantee you if Corona hit my body, it wouldn"t make it out alive.

I probably had Ebola and didn"t even know it.

Have to say though, I"m getting tons of work done, and I go out everyday, yesterday 50% Oil Change, today 4 new top shelf Pirelli 18"s for 650, 25% off.

And NYC will get through this, albeit folks will die. But 9/11, 2008 Crash, now the Covid-19.

They got this.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I can"t help but feel that the economic effects of the lockdown will affect way more people way more severely than the the spread of the virus itself.

From what I hear, 78% of Americans lives paycheck to paycheck and more than half has less than $600 in their bank account. If that is correct, one month (or longer) without getting paid is going to devastate all of them.

I"m sure I"m going to get flak for this, but is that really worth it, when most people infected will experience a mild illness and recover completely within two weeks?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/dont-panic-the-comprehensive-ars-technica-guide-to-the-coronavirus/

Considering that I have a serious heart condition, with congestive heart failure and will probably have to have a heart valve replaced, and my wife has had cancer for 10 years and is actively undergoing chemo, I'll err on the side of caution.

To a certain extent, I agree with hardware, in that if you live too clean, you are more inclined to get sick, but since we're both considered high risk, I'm not taking chances.

My wife last night commented that if she gets it, and it looks like she'll have to fight for her life, let her go. I wasn't ready for that 2 1/2 years ago when she was on a ventilator for 3 weeks because of a kidney stone, and I'm not ready for that now.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Ask the Italians if the cure is worse than the illness.

So much depends on the state of the health care system (Italy has a pretty good one, btw). Comparisons to automobile and flu deaths are misleading because we have a health care system can handle those. Car crashes don't happen in clusters and don't kill health care workers. Flu is of course more analogous, being a virus, but the higher contagiousness and lethality of the C-virus make it much more a threat to health care workers and the potential for patient spikes make it more likely hospitals are overwhelmed, at which point people start dying from other things because they can't get medical.

There are credible ideas for restarting the economy sooner rather than later, but they all share as a foundation fortifying the health care system.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

People keep saying the US is on the same track as Italy because our numbers are what theirs were 2 weeks ago. We have a population of 350 million compared to Italy at 60 million or so, and Italy geographically is like one of our 50 states. Italy is in trouble because they exceeded the capacity of their healthcare system. We keep talking about flattening the curve. As long as we do what we are doing, we won't have the issues Italy is having. Mind you, flattening the curve doesn't mean we won't all still eventually be exposed, it just means we slow it to a rate the healthcare system can handle, unlike Italy, so that people don't die through lack of care. But people unfortunately will die until there is a vaccine which won't be for at least 12-18 months. It is what it is.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.