Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gotta Love BandMix

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave up on bandmix years ago. Way too many egocentric guitar players. The styles the guitar players are interested in playing are mostly metal, grunge, modern, etc that use massively overdriven tones with no space for keyboards and I stay away from those styles. There isn't a big market for those styles in the US. From reading the forums they have a hostile disposition to keyboard players.

Thanks for the heads up........ now I can"t miss something I wasn"t aware of in the first place.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Bandmix is fine. I joined years ago - when I was coming out of musical hibernation and eager to make connections. Of course, most connections were not worthwhile or went nowhere. But I did make contact with some good people too.

At this stage, I have no need to deal with Bandmix or Craig's list, but there is a place for both.

I still occasionally play with a band that found me on Bandmix many years ago. On two occasions Ritchie Blackmore's manager contacted me through Bandmix. It was down to me and one other guy for the Keyboard position and the other guy got it and is still with them I think. The second time was for Bass guitar and they also wanted to hear examples of my acoustic guitar and flute playing. Plenty of great bass players around so never heard from them again.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

One of the annoying things about BandMix is trying to search for bands to join. Unfortunately, individual musicians who are also looking to join a band will have a listing that includes every musical instrument known to mankind (just like what is shown in the screenshot posted by OP). So, if you search for an existing band that's looking for, say, a keyboard player, you get numerous hits involving individual musicians with those shotgun listings.

I now realize (after being in one band for almost 7 years that has had to replace a number of members) that far and away the best way to find good musicians is to know them already. I never had any luck with Bandmix, and Craigslist is just...ugh. For every good band member you have to wade through acres of bums (and I don't mean playing ability). My favorite is "angry frustrated ad guy" who wants a musician but his ad is a rambling diatribe of all the stuff he won't put up with, these type of ads get more angry the longer they are :D

I can't commit to going out a lot due to having kids, but the rest of our members try (or tried before all this) to get out and get to know other bands. We've also gotten gigs that way when bands had to cancel. The other big benefit is knowing enough musicians that can fill in if one of us gets sick or whatever. All of our players over the years were friends or friends-of-friends...we thankfully didn't have to do the craigslist audition dance.

My band searches with CL never turned out well either.

Yes, the best way to find good bandmates is good old face-to-face networking. Go see bands and be assertive with the musicians. Your name will come around. I landed in my current band through a mutual band friend, who remembered me from the town I used to work in.

Unfortunately the default setting in BandMix's signup form includes every instrument type in the "seeking" list! So as Math&Music noticed, if you search for bands that are seeking keyboards (or bagpipes for that matter) it matches nearly everyone, making the search completely worthless. I pointed out this problem to BandMix support and forums years ago and never got a reply.

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s