Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(2) studio monitor pairs sharing subwoofer

I'd like my KRK 10s subwoofer to be linked to two sets of studio monitors. It is currently connected to two KRK rockit 6 using the balanced XLR inputs and outputs. Does anyone know why I shouldnt be able to use the TRS 1/4 in inputs and outputs on the 10s to connect another pair of JBL 306Ps using my mixing board's monitor outputs?

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great question. I couldn't find a schematic but typically the same driver is used for both connector types which means you'll be "loading down" the signal more than with just one connector used (per side). And you're changing the input impedance - maybe by half assuming each of your monitors is rated the same; 8 Ohms for example. Not as big a deal as it is for transformer outputs but you'll be drawing more power. Whether it really matters depends on how much you're drivng the amp. More power = more heat so your maximum gain needs to be limited by what the Subwoofer amp is designed for.

All of this goes away if they are providing separate drivers but again, no way of telling visually. You might want to test it using low gain settings at first and see how much the volume drops with and without the second monitor connected.

The good news is both your connections stay balanced. But I guess I would recommend contacting the manufacturer.

I may be wrong but Marky's example about impedence load should only matter if the speakers are unpowered, then daisy chaining the speakers to an amplifier in order to drive the speakers will reduce the Ohms from say an 8 ohm load to a 4 ohm load per channel. If the speakers are powered and you are just sending an output signal source to the speakers, as opposed to powering the speakers from an amplifier, then there should be no issue.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

As mentioned above I wouldn't be concerned about taking the same signal from XLR out and TRS outputs. I would be more concerned about using the inputs simultaneously:

TRS 1/4 in inputs
I would guess (it's a common design) for the inputs to be electrically paralleled. you are going to plug separate signals into XLR in and TRS in, you may have problems.

If you just want to be able to play the same signal through your KRK 6 pair and/or your JBLs then that's fine (and you don't need to use the TRS inputs at all).

Cheers, Mike.