Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Price of Covid-19

The Flemtones lost their drummer, Mr. Orlando Staton, to COVID-19 on Friday.

I had been playing with him since 1974 in various incarnations of the same high-school band, lastly in our current line-up. He was a great drummer, a wonderful friend and the kindest, gentlest soul I have ever and possibly will ever meet. Our last show together (and the last one for the Flemtones, obviously) was on February 28th, our 34th Anniversary playing a monthly gig at a pub in northern NJ. Three weeks after that, he was gone.

No idea why I'm posting this here, except that fellow bassists will know the special relationship between themselves and drummers. That glance, the wink, the nod, the smile that says 'let's show 'em how it's done'...I'll no longer share that with this brother-in-arms.

Anyway, salute - Mr. Orlando Staton. Gentle soul, loving husband to Donna, heart and soul of the Flemtones and good friend, gone much too soon.

[video:youtube]

735.thumb.jpg.ee541f16ffffbc3f3fb2f0d37b250518.jpg

736.thumb.jpg.e0f65bfe301787b5e10c8979d476adbe.jpg

Play. Just play.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rest In Peace, Orlando.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Family is more than genetic lineage.

I am so grateful for my own "family" up here, yesterday I contacted many and today there will be many more to touch bases with.

Be well, be safe!!! Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

That is very sad; my condolences. We will all eventually know someone who was taken away from us by this disease, sooner or later. Sorry it happened so soon for you, and so close to home. One never fully gets over the loss of a musical collaborator; I have sequentially lost my three primary ones over the past decade. And I'm nervous about one older bandleader, hoping he doesn't get sick. Some of my bandmates in various bands, have the common cold but are watching for other symptoms. I don't know anyone who isn't on edge about someone they care about.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Many Condolences. You were family by choice, but no less brothers.

It's never easy and probably should never be. I may be a callous soul but under that callus there is still flesh and blood.

Take care.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Very sorry to hear this, Flem. My deepest condolences for the loss of your friend and band mate.

I get what you're saying about the relationship between drummers and bass players. I've been playing with one guy for 19 years -- we know each other's moves so well he can't take a dump without me knowing it. You play with someone for literally decades, it becomes a relationship.

Tight band, btw.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Well, take the time you need to for grieving. It's a big punch in the stomach, to say the least.

Particularly when it's someone you're close to and a contemporary. I lost my college roommate to cancer two years ago and it's still tough to think about.

But for the long run -- and I know this is a bit cliche, but I think it's true -- think about what Orlando would want you to do.

Based on your characterization of him, my guess is he'd say, "Play on, dudes."

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Tim - sorry for your loss. I've had the honor to play with some great musicians where we had "that bond". And it is special for bassists and drummers. I recently played with Jack - the Stonefly drummer for 20 years (before we all disbanded). It was so easy - I missed that connection, so I might have an idea how you feel.

I'll pray for his family and his musician community. My condolences....

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt