Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Physion plugin by Eventide
#3032615 03/10/20 07:44 PM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
I posted in Dr Walker's psychedelic kitchen about this because it can do some crazy stuff. Not a one-trick pony.

I post here because I am wondering how good it is at seperating transients from what follows. My specific interest is if this could be effective at reducing/eliminating plosives or sibilence. That would make it a very useful tool in any studio. It's new so I don't expect anybody has it yet. I am considering it despite my glut of plugins because what I have heard it do is interesting to me and it is on an introductory sale.

Would love to hear what others think or know!!

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/effects/structural-effect/physion

https://youtu.be/nMmkXh515MY?mc_cid=a25b0e9f83&mc_eid=e29f1cfa9a

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Re: Physion plugin by Eventide
KuruPrionz #3033206 03/14/20 04:34 AM

1 member likes this: KuruPrionz
Fleer #3033394 03/14/20 11:53 PM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Fleer

I think Fission is a different product than Physion

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/effects/structural-effect/physion

I do appreciate you posting! :- D Cheers, Kuru

KuruPrionz #3033507 03/15/20 08:08 PM
I am curious about it as well. Since it is on sale I am really tempted to grab it, but I have been buying a lot of plugins lately.

I am curious about using it for beat mangling. I had not thought of it as a way to deal with plosives and sibilance.

Last edited by Ronan C Murphy; 03/15/20 08:09 PM.

Ronan Chris Murphy - Producer-Engineer
(King Crimson, GWAR, Ulver, Mafia III)
ronanchrismurphy.com
Ronan C Murphy #3033683 03/16/20 10:41 PM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Ronan C Murphy
I am curious about it as well. Since it is on sale I am really tempted to grab it, but I have been buying a lot of plugins lately.

I am curious about using it for beat mangling. I had not thought of it as a way to deal with plosives and sibilance.

I am also tempted but in the context of our current situation - no gigs until further notice - unless I come across a windfall of some sort it will have to wait.

Beat mangling is FUN!!! I like that too. It just seems like a versatile tool.

AND, I just reviewed the page in the link from my first post: https://youtu.be/nMmkXh515MY?mc_cid=a25b0e9f83&mc_eid=e29f1cfa9a

Down near the bottom

"Articulation
Physion’s structural split can be used to modify vocals in subtle or drastic ways. Emphasize or reduce sibilance, add or remove resonance, or turn robust vocals into whispers."

My credit card is twitching!!!!

KuruPrionz #3033727 03/17/20 05:59 AM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
I took a look at the manual. 18 pages, can skip the install stuff.
https://downloads.eventide.com/audio/manuals/plug-ins/Physion+User+Guide.pdf

Seems like it would be useful for plugging acoustic guitars in directly. Mine have undersaddle piezo pickups with harsh transients. Otherwise they sound pretty good.

KuruPrionz #3033732 03/17/20 07:07 AM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
I got it, up and running.
I listened to a bass line I'm working on and surfed the presets. The Snare Body Fattening preset sounded really good on the bass, just for one.
I can't say anything sounded bad, but we always have to make choices.

This will get used often. It is a powerful set of tools.

Fleer #3033734 03/17/20 07:17 AM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Fleer

My apologies Fleer, I hadn't realized that Eventide changed the name. Yes, Fission became Physion.

Cheers, Kuru

KuruPrionz #3034039 03/19/20 12:47 AM
Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum and work for Eventide. Glad to see some people checking out the multiple uses for Physion (formerly Fission). Some people like using it as a creative tool, others to help with mixing tasks. If anybody has any questions or comments I'm glad to help.

2 members like this: Pim, Dave Bryce
KuruPrionz #3034040 03/19/20 01:26 AM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
Welcome Orville!!!

I am sure I will have questions as I dive in.
I've started another Metapop remix partly to play with my new plug in. Cheers, Kuru

Orville #3034143 03/19/20 05:53 PM
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Originally Posted by Orville
Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum and work for Eventide. Glad to see some people checking out the multiple uses for Physion (formerly Fission). Some people like using it as a creative tool, others to help with mixing tasks. If anybody has any questions or comments I'm glad to help.
Thanks, Orville - welcome to MPN! Please give brother Ray my regards...

dB
H9 Max owner

KuruPrionz #3034356 03/20/20 10:34 PM
In today's not-about-the-corona-virus e-mail came an announcement that Physion is 70% off. Doesn't say how much it's off of, but Eventide frequently offers some really good deals.

Mike Rivers #3034375 03/21/20 02:38 AM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
In today's not-about-the-corona-virus e-mail came an announcement that Physion is 70% off. Doesn't say how much it's off of, but Eventide frequently offers some really good deals.

It's $49.95. I bought on the same deal.

Already enjoyed the presets, going to play with it tonight and learn more about it.

While the ability to make subtle adjustments to transients is what I was initially interested in having, the less subtle settings will surely find a place.
A 12 string guitar with the attack removed and the IK Leslie put on it is probably a really cool sound, just for one.

KuruPrionz #3034410 03/21/20 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by KuruPrionz
A 12 string guitar with the attack removed and the IK Leslie put on it is probably a really cool sound, just for one.

You can do that ??!!! It's not anything I would even think about doing, but it's pretty amazing that you can create a sound from found parts and (I trust) actually play it as a new instrument.

Mike Rivers #3034426 03/21/20 05:12 PM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
Yes, you can do that.

One of the biggest clues we have are hearing a particular instrument is the transient information. If that is removed (and Physion can remove most if not all of it) it truly becomes something else.
If I were to play a 12 string guitar (or a banjo) along with a song and remove the transients, the tonal information would remain and be correct for the song. Same instrument, very different sound.

I'm still experienting, it has always been in my nature to take things way beyond what would be considered "normal" and seek out the different sounds.
Smash it, Break it, Stretch it!!!! I love doing that suff. :- D

Which is one of the many reasons I bought it. Being able to perform subtle adjustments of transients is a gold mine all by itself but Eventide stuffed this plugin with some choice tools to multiply the potential.
I love plugins that are not "one trick ponies", they get to live in my Favorites plug in folder. Less clutter, more fun.

KuruPrionz #3034437 03/21/20 06:41 PM
Thank you for the warm wishes. I'll let Ray know, dB!

I think this video showcases the product pretty well in which a song is crafted using Physion to manipulate samples in different ways:

3 members like this: Dave Bryce, Dave Bryce, Dave Bryce
KuruPrionz #3034465 03/21/20 08:51 PM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
Thanks Orviille, that's awesome!

Quite a few of us here just want more control over making "real" sounds better.
If you could post a demo of using the transients section to smooth out harsh transients there are probably some here who would be most interested in that function..

And, I am certainly of those! De-essing or taking some of the "quack" out of a direct acoustic guitar come to mind.
Cheers, Kuru

KuruPrionz #3034468 03/21/20 09:26 PM
Yes, you can do that.

One of the biggest clues we have are hearing a particular instrument is the transient information. If that is removed (and Physion can remove most if not all of it) it truly becomes something else.

I don't remember what it was called, but Roland had a synthesis method that worked sort of on that principle, before we had oodles of memory for whole samples. They spliced a sample of the attack of an instrument on to a synthesized waveform for the sustain/release part of the note. It didn't sound as realistic as a real sample of the whole note, but it took a lot less memory and sounded better than synthesizing the whole thing.

That reminds me - I should open up my Roland U-220 (it uses that synthesis method) to see if the battery is leaking.

Mike Rivers #3034559 03/22/20 03:45 PM
Platinum Member
OP Online Content
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by Mike Rivers
Yes, you can do that.

I don't remember what it was called, but Roland had a synthesis method that worked sort of on that principle, before we had oodles of memory for whole samples. They spliced a sample of the attack of an instrument on to a synthesized waveform for the sustain/release part of the note. It didn't sound as realistic as a real sample of the whole note, but it took a lot less memory and sounded better than synthesizing the whole thing.

That reminds me - I should open up my Roland U-220 (it uses that synthesis method) to see if the battery is leaking.

Which is a great example that speaks to how we parse transients in our minds.
Being able to make subtle tweaks is priceless, it can really change the way a track is perceived.
Being able to go beyond subtle has the potential to be priceless or horrendous, I find value in both extremes.

And, I removed the battery from my E-Bow, it's been sitting for a while. Thanks for the reminder!!!!

Moderated by  Ronan C Murphy 

Link Copied to Clipboard