Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 vs A100 into same pre-amp and Leslie 147

Video is from 2018. But just stumbled on it today...

Stock A-100 and Keyboardpartner HX3 (Jupiter 80 serves as Masterkeyboard, Voce Drawbar Controller) played via Line-Out; same Preamp and Leslie 147.

It would seem the preamp and Leslie 147 play a big part of getting this sound. Or the HX3 does a fantastic job at mimicking the A100. Or both.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have long thought about taking an AO-28 or (slightly-modified AO-29) and mounting it in a box with an expression pedal and outlet box. Any decent clone would sound good through a rig like that, I bet.

I think it goes something like

10% - input device

10% - preamp

20% - expression pedal

50% - leslie

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I run my HX3 into a Speakeasy preamp with a 122 kit installed then into a 122RV. I"ve had it side by side with my C3 and really aside from a touch of EQ or choosing a different model TG, I couldn"t be happier. I"m using it with a Korg BX3. Well, I was until I retired from gigging,

What software version is your HX-3? (I'm on 4.25, but thinking that a higher version will make me play better ;-) )

It not only depends on the firmware.

The hardware changes matter too.

I was about deciding for the XB-2 kit because I had the occasion to buy a damaged XB-2 for cheap.

Then had some discussion w/ keyboardpartner about mainboard versions where the XB-2 kit is stricktly mk3/ mk4 depending on availability.

So, I read the HX3 WiKi ...

HX3 mk3_mk4 additional info

HX3.5 which is the latest hardware.

Latest firmware version seems to be #5.53x (x= 3 or 4 I guess).

Because keyboardpartner won´t upgrade the software for the XB-2 kit to make it work w/ the 3.5 version,- it´s still fine w/ mk3,- or slightly "better" w/ mk4.

But when thinking about HX3 Expander,- I´d always go w/ hardware version 3.5 now, regardless which features I´d need or not.

It´s at least triple DSP power which might have impact on bells & whistles like C/V, key contact sim and rotary sim incl. pre-amp/pwr-amp behaviour simulation.

The A100 / HX3 comparision video above is HX3 mk4 version which is excellent when using a Leslie and has acceptable int. rotary sim still,- but the new CaM Rotor leslie sim is HX3.5 w/ firmware #5.5xx only !

I think that´s important info for users think about upgrading their expander or make a buying decision.

Personally, I´m not interested in H100, Wersi, Dr. Boehm, combo organs and GM soundset at all,- but I believe the DSP (FPGA) overhead makes sense for further developement of the tonewheel engine and amp/rotary simulation alone.

A.C.

The Leslie kit was actually inside the case preamp pedal, this was an optional extra otherwise it was a straight in/out jack plug signal. It has a foot switch for speed control but I modified it with an extra socket to accept a half moon switch. No longer made, the designer passed away.

What software version is your HX-3? (I'm on 4.25, but thinking that a higher version will make me play better ;-) )

It not only depends on the firmware.

The hardware changes matter too...

A.C.

True that. I cheaped out and bought the old Mk3/4 hardware. Still a great sounding unit... until I hear others play and wonder, "that sounds so good... is it 3.5?" :-D

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."