Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any suggestions for software to allow musical meetups ?

I'm wondering about the possibility of having a virtual rehearsal or jam with bandmates, each in their own own home. I've used Zoom conferencing software before for non-musical discussions, and from memory you can record audio & video. Setting levels could be interesting.

At its simplest I'm just looking to interact remotely and see if 2 people (for starters) can play together.

Next level would be if video and audio of reasonable quality ("cell phone quality or better") could be captured as possible social media content.

Has anyone tried this?

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At 65 I"m NOT the tech geek I once was. This new stuff feels overwhelming to me sometimes, but here goes. Nationally the School of Rock is rolling with Zoom. I"m using a two device setup for teaching keys from home. An iPhone overhead shooting down over the keyboard, and an iPad as the host device giving me three views to communicate with the student. It works, but hardly ideal. There"s lag, and video and audio are not synced enough for playing together. Call and response works good, as does teaching theory. Sharing charts is done through email attachments.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Funny, was just surfing by, as one of my bandmates talked about YouTube "Playing For Change".

We miss eachother :rawk::cheers:

It are not a real time jam, But recordings from each that are put together.

I have no clue how to do it, but guess each member do a recording from his phone, syncronized to something that can keep the tempo, and then someone are using something to clip and put it together.

Found some things here : [video:youtube]

I also found a funny one at Facebook, but have no idea how to share it here, you might try to search for "Bojarene i blinde" (KORK - NRK), where each got notes and a metronome.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

For recording a lot of software now allows you to create sessions in the cloud and everyone contributes. A click or a reference track keeps everyone together.

For live playing - latency over the internet makes it unbearable - especially with conferencing software like Skype, FaceTime, Google Hangouts. There is a music solution called jamkazam.com that has noticeably better latency performance - particularly with players that are within X miles from your home. I"ve used it with piano / vocal practice. It"s better but not perfect, still too drifty.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yeah, I must say, tears in my eyes over The Weight, and the concept, maybe first 'brought to you by " I"d like to but the world a Coke" '

For the OT - I"ve got nothin" but I"m glad I clicked on this thread.

Made my day!

Here for the gear.

I've tried to use jamkazam in the past, but my internet speed wasn't up to snuff. My bandwidth is now very good, but jamkazam seems to be out of commission. Lots of 404 hits on their website. Forum is missing. Installer doesn't load. I read on another forum that they are overloaded. Not sure which is true.

Just turned to jamulus and have had some initial luck with it.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

• 3 weeks later...