Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB to 5-pin DIN converter

Hello,

I've got a Kawai ES-110, a Novation Launchkey 49, and most recently have purchased a Neutron. Bet you can guess my question.

I have no problem triggering the Neutron with a standard MIDI cable from the Kawai. The Launchkey is USB-MIDI only.

I can trigger softsynths with the Launchkey. But even with everything set to channel 1, not a peep from the Neutron. I've tried all the channel switches on the Neutron.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Mio 2, which has 2 each of DIN in, DIN out, and USB. All routable, all filterable, and still pretty inexpensive.

http://www.airnetworking.com/Pictures/MioFront.jpg

http://www.airnetworking.com/Pictures/MioBack.jpg

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I use the Mio 2, which has 2 each of DIN in, DIN out, and USB. All routable, all filterable, and still pretty inexpensive.

And useless to Delmar, since he needs a device that works as a USB host. This piece does have some interesting features though â being able to connect two computers at once and doing onboard routing, merging and processing that can be set up on a computer, then brought to a gig to work standalone.

To be clear, I'd like to play the Launchkey into the iMac and trigger the Neutron, running audio into an Apollo Twin and record with Logic. Maybe play with sequencing, which I have never done. Surprising that there isn't a simple cable that converts USB-C to 5-pin DIN. I have a MOTU Fastlane but I think it's unusable with Mojave. I've done a bit of research, downloaded the latest driver I could find but I can't tell if the Fastlane is working.

740.thumb.png.931143c92a4ec5ab9b776107836f14f7.png

I have a MOTU Fastlane but I think it's unusable with Mojave. I've done a bit of research, downloaded the latest driver I could find but I can't tell if the Fastlane is working.

It definitely does work with Mojave â unless my last year & half of gigs were done in the Matrix.

That's exactly what I want to know! I didn't think it was going to be such a big deal. Guess I better educate myself. I just worked a 15 hour day - my last for the foreseeable future. Time to make music!

Just connect the controller and Neutron to the Mac via USB. Open Logic and create an external audio that sends midi to the Neutron. You can create a template for this.

Also, If you want to play the Neutron without open logic, I recommend some free app like Midi Patchbay

• 2 months later...

Hi again. Apologies, but I'm revisiting this issue. I purchased a Mio 1 in/1 out cable (previously I've been triggering instruments in Logic using bluetooth, but want to try to reduce latency.) I've plugged the cable marked midi out to the Kawai's MIDI out, and the "in" to the "in." (That's what I should be doing, yes?) and plugged the USB end into my iMac. Nothing. I've messed about with Audio Midi setup. There's a device called Mio in the Midi studio window. As I would hope. All channels in Logic are either set to omni or channel one. The Kawai should be sending on channel 1, but I selected it to be sure. I've been reading up on the IAC driver. Logic asks if I want the mio and the IAC driver bus on. I've tried all the combinations of yes and no. The mio is supposed to be class compliant and require no drivers.

I guess I feel like I'm way in over my head, but I can't find a simple tutorial that explains how all the places to select channels, buses, and/or ports are supposed to work.

Can someone either explain this or point me to a good article? I'd really appreciate it. Do I actually need that Midi host device that was suggested earlier?

In to Out, Out to In.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.