Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg will ship the Titanium colored Kronos

' For the first time on a KRONOS, it uses natural maple material for its side panels with a light finish that accentuates the wood grain, and also features an additional Italian-made grand piano well-known for its clarity, setting it apart from German-made and Japanese-made pianos. These are the leading quality piano sounds that you expect from the KRONOS, together with a new look unmistakably different even at a distance."

32663_619.jpg

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a boring-ol' black Kronos X and am content with it. Wish it had 88 keys (it's a 73), but other than that, it suits me just fine. I like the looks of the unit above, but not enough to make me sweat. I think I'll stick with the one I've got.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Yes, black would look good, but be aware that ebony trees are relatively small as trees go and finding pieces of ebony large enough to do end caps might be a problem.

Might I suggest, say, Indian rosewood instead?

If you want to stay dark, consider wenge. That, you can get large enough. Or walnut, easier still, and better overall if you're protecting scarce trees.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I"m interested to hear if this new piano sample is related to the model they just stuck in the SV2 to achieve greater dynamic control.

I"d like to throw pitch and mod up top and shorten the width. Replace the faders with drawbars. Alas that"s not feasible so replacement caps will have to do.

I am buying 2. ;)

LOL !

Looks good !

I´d buy one when they ditched Intel industry boards w/ embedded ATOM procs and switched over to powerful DSPs.

Did they ever upgrade the processor at all ?

A.C.

They could have built it off a Raspberry Pi like the Wavestate. ;)

I"m interested to hear if this new piano sample is related to the model they just stuck in the SV2 to achieve greater dynamic control.

I'm thinking it's the same Italian Grand as in the red-splash Kronos SE. In which case this would be an SE with a different paint job basically.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I am buying 2. ;)

LOL !

Looks good !

I´d buy one when they ditched Intel industry boards w/ embedded ATOM procs and switched over to powerful DSPs.

Did they ever upgrade the processor at all ?

A.C.

In my humble opinion, don't hold your breath on an any Kronos spec increase this year.

In fact for 2021, [ yes, thats next year], my guess on probability is 40/60. IOW, 60% unlikely for any Kronos 3 or whatever

we call it.

Just my opinion as a Korg watcher as there new products show their priorities [ a titanium Kronos is not a new product].

Thats how I plan on expensive purchases or long term ownership.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

And like they did last year with the red SE, the new Titanium Kronos is the same price as the regular Kronos, even though the new one has the additional Italian piano in it. So I would expect demand and sales to go down for the regular Kronos. I also see they didn't bother to do any other updates, like adding MIDI 2.0. At least the new one looks better than that awful red color. Also, no 73 key edition for the new one.

Now if prices drop enough because of the current March Madness going on, I might get one. Yes, I know there's a shortage of parts, but demand will drop because a lot of people are out of work. I'm not being insensitive, I'm just stating facts. I hope this chaos is over as soon as possible.

No 76 semi, No Yamaha 76 semi, Korg doesn't know how to make 76 semi.

Later

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I am all for lower prices on very expensive keyboards - have harped on this for a few years on the Kronos forum. And not just $100 off or other modest amounts.

While eBay seems to suggest a fair amount of inventory out there, my wild guess is that Kronos is still a good seller at retail. If I am close to the truth, that might explain the attachment to maintaining MSRP.

[70's Songwriter]

no question. I think Kronos is a lifetime keyboard

impressive 9 year run. And counting.

The tech bump they did with the X and v2 set the stage for a v3 - specs will get raised. faster processor, more/faster RAM, faster/larger stock SSD.

They would have to top a decade or two of work on the Oasys to deliver something that isn't a Kronos.

In other words - is there an Oaysis successor in the works? That's where a new path would likely start, no?

no question. I think Kronos is a lifetime keyboard

impressive 9 year run. And counting.

The tech bump they did with the X and v2 set the stage for a v3 - specs will get raised. faster processor, more/faster RAM, faster/larger stock SSD.

They would have to top a decade or two of work on the Oasys to deliver something that isn't a Kronos.

In other words - is there an Oaysis successor in the works? That's where a new path would likely start, no?

I don't believe the 'tech bump ' was such an event. More of a game plan.

It was mostly a necessity esp to support all the 3rd party Exs.

the 4 gig Ram [ 3 Gig after OS load] was just sitting there waiting for a revised OS to handle it.

And same with the 2nd SSD capability. SATA connectors and connections were in place from Day 1

I also consider our economic environment. I question how big that niche is of spending $4000 on a board.

Electronic co's run conservatively.

[70's Songwriter]

What Korg seems to have done is locate the point of adequacy for most musical tasks where a portable keyboard would be required. It isn't that you can't do better, it is that this is the simplest way to get the job done, almost no matter what the job is. Because it can be re-configured for personal needs, it is pretty much evergreen. Audio files are not getting larger, and at some point, there is adequate storage for what most musicians use. It appears they found it and got there first. It really doesn't need "double the capacity" for most people, and so it just keeps going.

The same is true on the laptop rig side. They have been adequate for 10 years.

Pianos have been adequate for a long time too.... It happens, and then working toward mastery can begin.

It is a great time to be making music.

Yes, black would look good, but be aware that ebony trees are relatively small as trees go and finding pieces of ebony large enough to do end caps might be a problem.

Might I suggest, say, Indian rosewood instead?

If you want to stay dark, consider wenge. That, you can get large enough. Or walnut, easier still, and better overall if you're protecting scarce trees.

Grey

Grey, I was making a point about soft v hard wood as well as colour. Maple is a really soft wood but walnut stained black and laquered or french polished would be a good proposition.

When i have time (and I do so - no excuses) and figure out how to dissemble it - going to ebonise the cheeks on my recently aquired Mojo 61.One side is dark and the other much lighter.

The Mojo was a B stock and one cheek is split too.Looks like some kind of mahoganyish wood maybe sapile.

My musical world took off with my Korg 01Wfd, where I first embraced serious sequencing & some very stout presets. I piled up patch sets like a madman & loved it. The Kronos is orders of magnitude above the 01W, but I still love the feel. I've "missed" a few shifts on the playing field, such as touch-screens on workstations, but once I basically got Logic sussed, I had what I needed the most. Although I acknowledge that the Kronos is basically a studio unto itself, I still wonder why there has never been a high-quality trickle-down model that was, say, only half as stout. The Krome just didn't ring my personal bell. Its just a brain-fart, but that fantasy model could be shaped as a great iPad partner. I'd bet that Korg's version of the MODX6 would be a substantial Kronos-flavored beast.

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"