Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond Organ Complete by Dave Limina

I am interested in a book that focuses on playing the organ (in a rock or blues context), particularly for someone who already knows

how to play the piano. I found "Hammond Organ Complete" by Dave Limina listed at Amazon, and would be interested to know whether anybody here can recommend that book or others.

http://www.amazon.com/Hammond-Organ-Complete-Dave-Limina/dp/0634014331/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3492415-0015869?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193495437&sr=1-1

Esp interested in Electro-type organs with only 1 manual and no pedals.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>> I recommend you go here & buy this first.

Why, so that I can be inspired to play better, or discouraged that I'll never be as good as Winwood, leading me to save the $1700 I would have spent on the Electro 73 (plus untold additional $$ on stereo amplification), thus prompting me to go hiking outdoors instead of sitting inside at the keyboard (both ivory and qwerty)? Sounds like a good idea, actually! :^)

Out of curiosity, what would you be wanting to glean from a book?

Basic information and techniques about playing a clonewheel organ, as distinguished from a weighted 88-key acoustic (or P120), hints about classic organ riffs, etc.

Guys I'm in the same boat as Jeff DLB. I have a Hammond and I've always felt like I don't rock that thing the way it should be rocked the way some of our great forumites rock it. Are there some book/DVD resources out there?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

>> I recommend you go here & buy this first.

Why, so that I can be inspired to play better, or discouraged that I'll never be as good as Winwood, leading me to save the $1700 I would have spent on the Electro 73 (plus untold additional $$ on stereo amplification), thus prompting me to go hiking outdoors instead of sitting inside at the keyboard (both ivory and qwerty)? Sounds like a good idea, actually! :^)

Watching SW play is soul/blues organ 101. Pure taste & technique - no flash. You can't get that from a book. I promise you will run, not walk, to the nearest music store and get that Electro!

Here for the gear.

I have the Limina book and found it to be a helpful introduction to playings the B3 and clonewheels. Since I'm a pianist who was being asked increasingly to play organ parts, I needed a place to start, and Hammond Organ Complete was a good place to do that (IMO).

My two cents,

Noah

I am interested in a book that focuses on playing the organ (in a rock or blues context), particularly for someone who already knows

how to play the piano. I found "Hammond Organ Complete" by Dave Limina listed at Amazon, and would be interested to know whether anybody here can recommend that book or others.

I have this book by Dave Limina and enjoyed it. I also have some other instructional DVD's from him and find him to be very good.

I would also recommend Blues and Rock Techniques for Hammond Organ by David Cohen.

The Hammond Organ, Beauty in the B is a great book too. More focused on the history of the Hammond though.

Keys: Kurzweil PC3 & PC1se, Nord Electro 2, Roland HP603

Guitars: Strat Plus, Les Paul Std, Martin DC-16RGTE

Amps: Mackie SRM450, Fender Cyber Twin & Studio 85, Traynor Block 12, Boss GT-1

Out of curiosity, what would you be wanting to glean from a book?

Basic information and techniques about playing a clonewheel organ, as distinguished from a weighted 88-key acoustic (or P120), hints about classic organ riffs, etc.

Honestly, I'd look around the internet at sites like http://www.gospelkeyboard.com/ or http://showmethat.com and youtube, see what guys are doing. You'll learn some of those organ techniques a lot quicker seeing them. Then just listen. Winwood, Rollie, Argent, Emerson, and my personal favorite, Garth Hudson. Pick out what they're doing. You'll learn stuff a heck of a lot deeper if you learn it by ear than through the written page, it becomes more ingrained and organic.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

• 12 years later...
I have it, nice and helpful book!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

I don't know the book, but I have seen Dave play in a jazz setting a few times and he definitely has excellent chops.

Can't imagine his book wouldn't lend some help to any level of player. Again he is head of the department at BSM.

Cheers

Paul