Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Corona Virus thread

I'm 2,000 miles from home in Boulder, Colorado visiting my daughter. Decided to cancel my flight back to Long Island, NY tomorrow and drive instead. Seems less risky than the airports, airplane, rental car shuttle, Uber experience, but it's a long ride. Should be home by Saturday. And, just found out a few minutes ago that the airline canceled my flight. I hope it's not a hassle getting a refund or credit for my plane tickets.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI there's a corona virus thread in my Sound, Studio, and Stage forum that started on March 6, so you can get a bit more of an idea of the arc of cancelled gigs and how reactions have developed. This afternoon I posted part of an email from a friend in Italy who's with IK Multimedia; he was responding to my "hey, is it really that bad?" inquiry. Basically, his answer was yes it is, and the US is about 10 days behind Italy, so looking at them will give us a rough idea of what may (hopefully not!!) be in store for us.

Here's something that really gave me pause. A week ago there were 1000 confirmed cases. When I wrote the post this afternoon, it was up to 5,500. Now tonight it's 6,500. I'm sure part of this is because more people are being tested, but still...

There was an interesting statement from a doctor who basically said, before this thing really hits, everything we do will seem alarmist but after it hits, everything we did will seem inadequate. Fingers crossed, to say the least. I'm not a gloom-and-doom kinda guy, but this thing has math on its side, and arguing with numbers is tough. Oh well. Back to writing my next book :)

Well, this isn't turning out like I had hoped. My wife has been running a low grade temp, has seen a doctor and is on antibiotic and steroids for lung crackles and wheezing. Tonight was her first night back to work in 4 days and they wouldn't let her in the building. She was screened, not tested. Went through 3 levels of screening and the hospitalists told her to go home. I called my boss and told him what's up. She'll go for testing tomorrow. I'm off at least tomorrow, probably for two weeks.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Well, this isn't turning out like I had hoped. My wife has been running a low grade temp, has seen a doctor and is on antibiotic and steroids for lung crackles and wheezing. Tonight was her first night back to work in 4 days and they wouldn't let her in the building. She was screened, not tested. Went through 3 levels of screening and the hospitalists told her to go home. I called my boss and told him what's up. She'll go for testing tomorrow. I'm off at least tomorrow, probably for two weeks.

Sorry to hear that. My wife got tested today. To summarize her condition, it's only slightly concerning, not alarming. The scary thing is reading about how the virus can go from mild to severe unexpectedly and in a matter of hours. She's probably going to be fine, but this thing seems to be so unpredictable. You think you're doing ok with only mild symptoms, then suddenly your not ok. The epidemiological statistics can't convey the sense of terror that derives from the unknown.

As I mentioned above in this thread, my whole family has had the same virus-like malady for going on 2 weeks. We hope it's Covid 19, because that would mean we're building immunity in a fairly benign way.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

British Supermarkets are following the Aussie lead in reserving the first hour of trading for Senior Citizens.

Whilst this may seem to be a very good action do they not realise that at my advancing age it takes me two hours to kick start myself, have breakfast and then swallow half a Pharmacy"s stock of medication, drive to the Supermarket and stagger around the store mindful of keeping six foot away from Walking Aids or rather their semi-trained operators who woll be hell bent on getting to the stock of toilet rolls first

Hence I am really looking forward to getting up at 05:00.

Col

Theres a lot of at risk musos that go undetected or wont tell you. Be mindful of band mates.

Cancelled band practise tonight to self isolate as i had a cold 3 days ago. Still have a pain in one lung. I didn't want to risk anyone or be at risk. We have an upcoming gig i hope gets cancelled. Our poor agent has lost lots of jobs so this one may well be cancelled too.

I am high risk category with only 33% lung capacity. Ive lived with the threat of dieing from a "caught" virus for 20 years. People never understood why i was careful now they finally do. I had to quit many bands in the days of smoking in venues. Passive smoke made me very sick back then.

5 years ago moved to colder part of Australia for family. Getting out of the high heat and humidity was good but the cold is hard. Had bad bad flu twice down here. First i caught off a very sick checkout lady serving us in supermarket. We even Detolled our entire purchase but to no avail. Second one i caught from the guitarists wife who had the flu at a gig. That knocked me down to 33% capacity from my 50% capacity. That one made a big impact.

Ironically i can still sing very strongly (strongest voice in band) but cant carry gear without looking like im carking it. I can still walk okish empty handed but loose breath very easily.

While i can still sing ill fight this stupid lung condition. If my singing fails me i believe thats it as I believe my singing has helped my lungs. I used to teach singing so maybe my technique has helped me.

To anyone who thinks all at risk people are totally cotton wooled think about this there are a lot of musos out there living on borrowed time for many conditions. I told my band down here when i joined of my condition. They are all old farts like me so they didnt mind as they probably have other issues themselves.

Look after you band mates too as well as family and friends.

Beth was tested today, which she said was horrific. It involved things jammed down her nose and throat to the point of reflexive tears. They tested for both flu and covid. We were supposed to get flu test results today but 1700 hours came and went without a call. Since the bulk of her work is fielding calls from the hospital floors and entering orders in the computer, they were able to get her set up for work-from-home with a beeper and phone. She'll go back to work on Friday. We called my manager and they've taken me off the schedule for the week. I took my temp before leaving the house to run errands and was ok. Tonight I took it again and am running a temp. We are both officially in quarantine. I'll have to update my workplace.

Today I took a complete inventory of everything in the pantry and medicine chest. We're good for at least a week and have friends who can run to the store for us. Although our local Kroger looks like how my grade school history books depicted the Soviet Union, there's food if you are creative.

Please take care and follow all the instructions.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

(although I have a lingering suspicion I might have encountered it around NAMM)

On the flight home from NAMM, I developed a dry cough. I felt like crap on Monday but pushed out a newsletter I needed to finish. Tuesday and Wednesday I had a fever. I don't remember what else happened, but I do remember thinking it wasn't the flu because I didn't get the soreness and such. By the time I did see my doc days later, she said my lungs were clear. I don't know what I had. I like to think it was COVID-19 so then I'd be immune now. Not that I'm taking chances. I wish I could get tested for antibodies.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ken, I hope for the best for you and Beth! :fingerscrossed:

I was out today, reluctantly, and had a couple of people invade my space. It's bigger now, of course, but it's really annoying when "everyone" is talking about social distancing to have someone walk *right* by you before you get a chance to move away. If you don't care about your 6' space, fine, but respect mine, goddamit. :mad:

There are a lot of people just doing what they normally do. :facepalm: <- I shouldn't be touching my face. Sorry.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I don't know what I had.

Joe, you and I spent a pretty fair amount of time together over those 4 days. I ended up with a slight head cold, didn't miss any work or household chores, just barely annoying.

Since I am required to report to work everyday (essential personell), I wish I was immune also, but I don't think so.

:nopity:

As Tom petty sang, the waiting is the hardest part. In retrospect, I may have started almost-isolation early--but for all I know, it was late.

This reminds me a bit of waiting for test results that won't be ready for a few days. You just want to get them and deal with it either way.

That's especially maddening when you possibly just had the virus and don't know. Keeping in mind of course they don't know if you can get it again, and also exactly how long you are contagious for after you get "better".

My county's schools are now closed until april 15.

Be safe Al... have a good trip!

I'm 2,000 miles from home in Boulder, Colorado visiting my daughter. Decided to cancel my flight back to Long Island, NY tomorrow and drive instead. Seems less risky than the airports, airplane, rental car shuttle, Uber experience, but it's a long ride. Should be home by Saturday. And, just found out a few minutes ago that the airline canceled my flight. I hope it's not a hassle getting a refund or credit for my plane tickets.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

My great nephew's grandmother on his mom's side is an elementary school vice-principal here is Melbourne, FL. All the teachers and kids are home, but she has to go in every day.

Where I work they're kicking everyone out of the building to work from home. My computer was not quite fast enough, so I've had to go in. Yesterday they decided that everyone that was left would just bring their work system home with them. I will probably be headed home sometime this afternoon.

My new, more powerful computer gets here tomorrow.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I was out today, reluctantly, and had a couple of people invade my space. It's bigger now, of course, but it's really annoying when "everyone" is talking about social distancing to have someone walk *right* by you before you get a chance to move away. If you don't care about your 6' space, fine, but respect mine, goddamit.

I'm at work, and we're pretty busy; the construction industry gets busy this time of year no matter what as winter recedes in the distance.... We just brought one guy back from winter layoff.

Of course, he turned out to be the one guy who wanted to come into my office, sit down and chit-chat. Hey! Get with the program... Stand out in the hall and raise your voice if you want to talk; I don't want you breathing on me.

I don't know what I had.

Joe, you and I spent a pretty fair amount of time together over those 4 days. I ended up with a slight head cold, didn't miss any work or household chores, just barely annoying.

Since I am required to report to work everyday (essential personell), I wish I was immune also, but I don't think so.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that barometer. I got a lot of time with Mike Martin and my cousin Rob, too. To top it off, there were some days I was hoarse from talking all day, and I'm sure that would have shared viruses if I had them.

I was out today, reluctantly, and had a couple of people invade my space. It's bigger now, of course, but it's really annoying when "everyone" is talking about social distancing to have someone walk *right* by you before you get a chance to move away. If you don't care about your 6' space, fine, but respect mine, goddamit.

I'm at work, and we're pretty busy; the construction industry gets busy this time of year no matter what as winter recedes in the distance.... We just brought one guy back from winter layoff.

Of course, he turned out to be the one guy who wanted to come into my office, sit down and chit-chat. Hey! Get with the program... Stand out in the hall and raise your voice if you want to talk; I don't want you breathing on me.

Of course! :rolleyes:

For those of you looking for something different than they Happy Birthday song to wash your hands to, this is what I've been doing (as well as the Vulcan salute for greetings).

688.thumb.jpg.6b07f1422920559ab7634f5cd5dddc3b.jpg

I was looking at Suffolk County cases and see that Huntington has the most. Stay safe!

Ugh - that's where my 90-year-old mom lives, with COPD or whatever causes her cough from living with my dad the smoker all those years. :(

British Supermarkets are following the Aussie lead in reserving the first hour of trading for Senior Citizens.

Whilst this may seem to be a very good action do they not realise that at my advancing age it takes me two hours to kick start myself, have breakfast and then swallow half a Pharmacy"s stock of medication, drive to the Supermarket and stagger around the store mindful of keeping six foot away from Walking Aids or rather their semi-trained operators who woll be hell bent on getting to the stock of toilet rolls first

I'm about to run out of food. The manager of the local Safeway posted a notice that the Safeway would be open from 6:00 am to 9:00 am on Tuesdays and Thursdays for seniors and immune compromised. I woke up at 7:00 and got up to hustle myself to the Safeway. I got there about 7:45. As I was going in, a woman said it"s a 2-hour wait to check out, the lines go all around the store, back to the meat counter, with only 2 checkers. I looked inside to confirm. Yes, lines all around the store and people with carts filled to overflowing. I didn"t even confirm if they still had milk or bread or eggs or any of the other staples I need. I physically can"t stand for 2 hours while I wait to check out. I left and went to McDonald"s for the 2 for $4 sausage and egg mcmuffin and the bacon egg & cheese biscuit. That will help stretch my remaining food to last another couple of days, but that"s about it. If people would stop hoarding and buying up everything in the store, I"d stop being anxious that I"m going to be able to eat. I may have to stand in line for hours just to be sure I"m not going to starve. I"m at high risk for this damn virus â I"m 74 with diabetes and high blood pressure and I"ve had serious respiratory illnesses in the recent past. Things could get ugly soon. There are long lines at the local gun store, which is staying open as an 'essential' business.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I'm about to run out of food. The manager of the local Safeway posted a notice that the Safeway would be open from 6:00 am to 9:00 am on Tuesdays and Thursdays for seniors and immune compromised. I woke up at 7:00 and got up to hustle myself to the Safeway. I got there about 7:45. As I was going in, a woman said it"s a 2-hour wait to check out, the lines go all around the store, back to the meat counter, with only 2 checkers. I looked inside to confirm. Yes, lines all around the store and people with carts filled to overflowing. I didn"t even confirm if they still had milk or bread or eggs or any of the other staples I need. I physically can"t stand for 2 hours while I wait to check out. I left and went to McDonald"s for the 2 for $4 sausage and egg mcmuffin and the bacon egg & cheese biscuit. That will help stretch my remaining food to last another couple of days, but that"s about it. If people would stop hoarding and buying up everything in the store, I"d stop being anxious that I"m going to be able to eat. I may have to stand in line for hours just to be sure I"m not going to starve. I"m at high risk for this damn virus â I"m 74 with diabetes and high blood pressure and I"ve had serious respiratory illnesses in the recent past. Things could get ugly soon. There are long lines at the local gun store, which is staying open as an 'essential' business.

Can you drive? The Nugget near us in Tiburon reportedly is well stocked and hardly any shoppers at any hour. 20-40 minute drive depending on where you live in SF. I would gladly help you out, but given my symptoms I may have the bug myself so probably shouldn't be getting anywhere near you or anything you touch.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Can you drive? The Nugget near us in Tiburon reportedly is well stocked and hardly any shoppers at any hour. 20-40 minute drive depending on where you live in SF. I would gladly help you out, but given my symptoms I may have the bug myself so probably shouldn't be getting anywhere near you or anything you touch.
Thanks, Adan. I'll be ok. I'm going to try a couple out-of-the-way (and more expensive) markets later today. If need be, I'll travel some extra miles to get to somewhere where I don't have to wait in line for 2 hours. There's the Golden Gate bridge between me and Tiburon and I generally avoid that bridge, although there's lots less traffic on the roads these days. Also, my daughter is over in Berkeley and has offered to bring me food if I need it. That's the Bay Bridge, but again traffic's not too bad. Other people have suggested delivery, although many deliveries aren't being scheduled or they're out of what's ordered. I'm not going to starve and be out foraging for edible plants and animals. I'm just mighty annoyed at all the hoarding that's going on. In the words of Rodney King, can we all get along?
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Talked to my old guitar buddy who's in Southern part of Washington state, but his wife's business most clients are in Seattle, he said they been warned they are going lockdown Seattle completely. Where he lives they have two confirmed cases. Talked to my BFF in Boston and she said her and her kids all working from their homes now. Actually surprised my buddy here in the desert is a guitar teacher and goes to peoples homes, only some of his students have canceled. Had my Skype piano lesson yesterday and my teacher told all his students that come to his house he's doing Skype lessons only now.

I go back to early days of the internet back in the 80's before the www mainly discussion groups, email, and file sharing, remoting into servers. It's good to see the internet being use for good during this mess, because it has become a very dark place over the past decade.

Thanks, Adan. I'll be ok. I'm going to try a couple out-of-the-way (and more expensive) markets later today. If need be, I'll travel some extra miles to get to somewhere where I don't have to wait in line for 2 hours. There's the Golden Gate bridge between me and Tiburon and I generally avoid that bridge, although there's lots less traffic on the roads these days. Also, my daughter is over in Berkeley and has offered to bring me food if I need it. That's the Bay Bridge, but again traffic's not too bad. Other people have suggested delivery, although many deliveries aren't being scheduled or they're out of what's ordered. I'm not going to starve and be out foraging for edible plants and animals. I'm just mighty annoyed at all the hoarding that's going on. In the words of Rodney King, can we all get along?

El Lobo - if you're in the Bay Area and you need a runner, PM me or call me and I would be honored to make a grocery run for you.

Tim Wat

tim@timothywat.com

(925) 595-0943

(although I have a lingering suspicion I might have encountered it around NAMM)

On the flight home from NAMM, I developed a dry cough. I felt like crap on Monday but pushed out a newsletter I needed to finish. Tuesday and Wednesday I had a fever. I don't remember what else happened, but I do remember thinking it wasn't the flu because I didn't get the soreness and such. By the time I did see my doc days later, she said my lungs were clear. I don't know what I had. I like to think it was COVID-19 so then I'd be immune now. Not that I'm taking chances. I wish I could get tested for antibodies.

I got SO sick that weekend, had a bad fever, a weird rattle in my lungs, all the symptoms I remembered from having pneumonia as a child. I went to the doctor later that week to rule that out, but nobody thought of coronavirus back then so I didn't get tested for that.

But there were a ton of people from China at NAMM, many from the Wuhan region, and I definitely interacted with them, so it's not that crazy to think I might have had back then, right?

El Lobo - if you're in the Bay Area and you need a runner, PM me or call me and I would be honored to make a grocery run for you.
Tim, thank you for your very kind offer. I think I'll be ok and there are people closer to me here that will help. You're in the Easy Bay and I'm on the Peninsula so it's not very practical, but your offer is very generous.

re: Zephonic--Not crazy at all, your symptoms are spot on and we know how contagious this is (very), as well as the strong suspicion that it can be spread by people without symptoms.

Hopefully you are now immune at least for the near future.

Folks who take blood pressure medication are in the high risk group if corona is caught.

The virus interacts with this type of med say medical experts.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Turns out I got groceries about a quarter mile from my house at a small, independent local market. I was the only person in the store and got almost everything on my list. Took me all of about 2 minutes to get there and about 10 minutes in the store. I might have paid a little more for some items than at the big chain stores, but then I didn't have to wait in line at all, it's nearby, and now I know I'm unlikely to starve. And I can go back and get more stuff any time I want. Ok, now I'm sheltering in place. Crank up Robben Ford's version of "Help The Poor" and play along on my Casio 3000.

But there were a ton of people from China at NAMM, many from the Wuhan region, and I definitely interacted with them, so it's not that crazy to think I might have had back then, right?
I don't recall any, but I'm sure there were some. The one thing (besides what Dave said) was that I haven't seen any reports of NAMM encounters being a vector, and I think we would have by now.