Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Breaking from boredom; Exchanging Patches & Sound Files?

I've started my 14-day social distancing countdown, so I'm mostly home for at least the next two weeks. I say "mostly" because my garden work allows me to go out without having to see or come into contact with others, so I'll keep going out to work, so long as I feel healthy.

In the meantime, I have a bunch of MFX and Synths with empty User Patches, and much as Nature abhors a vacuum, I dislike having all those empty spaces, just waiting for sounds to fill them. Here's my idea . . .

I know many of us have similar MFX or Modeling Amps, and there are probably a few other Synth players in here. How about we start exchanging Patches, ideas, fragments of tunes that we got stuck on and abandoned, you get the idea. Maybe someone smarter than I am could set up a space for that, but otherwise, we all have Internet access and email, so we could do this one-on-one, without bogging down the Forum server with SysEx files.

Pedal pushers can join in, too, just post your favorite settings or combinations. It seems like we can finally share photos on here, if that makes it easier for anyone.

If all or most of us are going to be sitting at home for the next few weeks, we can be our own support group, keep one another entertained, encouraged and distracted. Not looking to turn this into FB Lite, just trying to make the best of what we've got. There is a vast storehouse of knowledge in this Forum, years, even decades of experience, let's share some of the fun stuff.

Among my MFX:

Alesis Quadraverb+

Boss GT-1

Boss GT-3

Boss GT-10

Boss ME-25

Digitech Studio 5000 (last iteration of the DHP-66)

Lexicon MPX100

Lexicon Vortex

Guitar Synths:

GR-1

GR-20

GR-30

GR-33

We can send SysEx files via WeTransfer, for free. I also have more hardware Synths than I'm going to list here, and I'd be glad to share Synth Patches, too. FWIW, I managed to grab most of Alesis' sound banks for the QS-series Synths, so if you have a QSR or any of the QuadraSynth models, email me. Ask and ye shall receive . . .

Stay well, everyone, and Happy St. Patrick's Day to my Irish brothers and sisters!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to pass on the patch sharing, although it sounds like a great idea. I'm moving in different direction these days with my musical time...but, I will take the time to wish you (my fellow Irish brother) a happy St. Patrick's Day! I'll be toasting you with a shot or two of the Tullamore Dew! In fact I'll pour me one right now! Skip the parades and bars and we'll be back again before the Devil know we're gone LOL! :2thu:
Take care, Larryz

I would have loved this kind of sharing back when I used Synth guitar, and when I had a big bunch of hardware synths and samplers in my analog/digital studio back in the late 1980's.

Here is one of the last things I did on synth guitar, it is Called Android From Andromeda, what I was fantasizing in my mind as I created it was; a band of robots and things like in the early Star Wars movies jamming for another bunch of Robots in a robot night club in the star wars type Fantasy,

I also submitted it for the Guitar Player Magazine Sound Page competition, I never even got an honorable mention for that bit of musical fantasy. (mostly because one of the rules was it had to be done completely without any tricky sequencing) which I cheated on a little, I actually played the guitar parts in and then edited out the notes added by the Roland GM 70 as it would not track exactly so I did some editing (which was cheating at best) I also did the basses and drum tracks by step timing in the basses, I beat the drums in using a Roland Octopad, and a Roland TR707 drum machine. I did the editing on my Mac II, using MOTU's Performer MIDI only sequencer. (This was just about the time they started using tape based digital recorders) but not yet having computer based Digital recording. I was using 2 Roland D 550-s and some synths hooked to that for the MIDI guitar parts and the basses were Yamaha TX 802. The way I got the MIDI parts to audio was simply recording it straight into a C-Cassette recorder, bypassing my 16 track Otari Tape machine and the Otari half track. Using a Hill audio Mixer into the Cassette recorder (I still have that stereo C Cassette recorder)

Android From Andromeda, (Harvey Cedars is my stage name for Soundclick) https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=2022996

Fun stuff, DBM!!!!

I have some multi-effects guitar amps, no pedal board to speak of - just a wah and delay that aren't mounted, hooked up or even used much. Took the wah out for a spin the other night but now we aren't gigging.

I have a Boss Katana 100 combo with the 6 button GA-FC(B) footswitch, a Roland Cube GX-40, Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 and VIP 3 and both Sanpera 1 and 2 foot controllers. Also an old Peavey Transtube EFX 258 with a 10" Scorpion speaker shoehorned in.

I am not doing anything unique or amazing, just bread and butter bar band cover tune tones. I've started fiddling around with a small stereo set up but that is probably more for fun than anything else. Most of the places we were playing hired the duo and I didn't need much or have much space so the little Peavey or the Cube were earning their keep.

I'll share my observations. First, ALL of these amps are capable of insane levels of gain and you rarely hear anything like that on the tunes we play. I've found there is one similarity with all of these amps, if you can turn up the Master volume a bit they start to sound more like actual tube amps turned up and less like distortion boxes.

Oddly, the 100 watters have the best options for that approach. The Katana has a switch to select output power - 100, 50 and 1/2 watts. I leave it at 1/2 watt and can get the Master up to about noon that way. It really sings sweetly then, feels more like an old, small Fender amp getting pushed hard. The Vypyr VIP 3 has a knob that takes output power down to 1% so about 1 watt. Same deal, turn that up and then dial in the sound from the front. It won't get sparkling clean that way, I don't need or use that anyway.

Others will prefer different sounds, use different instruments and pedals, etc. This is what has been working for me for quite a while now - proven science!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

@Larryz - Thanks for that, brother! Hope you enjoyed it! Strongest thing I had yesterday was a couple of puffs of my Medical Cannabis and some Peet's Coffee.

@dbm - I love that track! We've had some very similar toys, it sounds like. Still have my D-110 & D-5 with a PG-10 Programmer, Boss DR-660, Boss SPD-6 and my old Yamaha MT-120 Cassette Multi-Track Recorder! Got a lot of recording done on that old thing, before I moved to an HDR. Ah, now that Blues track that follows it, some searing Guitar sound there! Great tone! Respect!

Spent much of my afternoon yesterday sitting in my back yard, playing Guitar for my dogs. I'm very grateful that the warm weather is coming, so people can at least get outside.

Once again, I'm open to anything that helps keep us all engaged and entertained. Be well, everyone!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

@Larryz - Thanks for that, brother! Hope you enjoyed it! Strongest thing I had yesterday was a couple of puffs of my Medical Cannabis and some Peet's Coffee.

At least that Medical Cannabis has a green Irish hue to it LOL! I had a Guinness and a couple shots of the Dew... :cheers:

Take care, Larryz

I do my medical cannabis in brownies, it is finally legal (med card in our house). I do not smoke it anymore, the reason being I have lungs that I don't want to pollute. We do have several different vapes one of which does the weed in it's bud and shake form without the chems that they put in the vape pen cartridges. The one that does the weed in its original form is called an Extreme Q vape, and we have had that one for years. Heat the weed up to 190*F and it comes out in steam a little hot but doable.

@ Kuru and Winston, thanks for the good reviews on my recordings.

At one time I had that Roland GM 70 hooked to 4 synth rack mount module's which it controlled on varied MIDI tracks. 2 Roland D 550's (The D 50 in rack form) A Roland Mks 70 analog synth for those fat strings and voices. With that setup I used to do things like Maybe I'm Amazed a Wings/McCartney tune with the strings and a piano patch on one of the D 550's (Or sometimes I used a Roland Piano module or a Kurzweil piano module (do not remember the model).

It was fun playing MIDI guitar but I moved out of my house and went on the road in my van traveling the USA surfing and visiting all of the USA except Alaska. So over time I sold my complete 16 track Otari based studio with a Otari Half track, and Tack Scorpion 24 x 16 Console and about 20 synth modules/Samplers. Now I am down to 3 guitars and 2 amps. Back in the studio days I used several Mesa Boogie Amps, and had a complete PA system which was awesome. Much of it I sold at a Flea Market in St Augustine Florida and the 2 recording tape decks & console went to one guy in Las Vegas via Tekcom In Philly. I got half of what I paid for the stuff but I was willing to let it go rather than rot in a storage unit.

Three of my synths went to Jazzy Jeff and Will Smith (The famous actor before he went to TV/movies) Those two guys also shopped at Tekcom in Philly a now defunct recording studio and synth and other high end musical gear store.

I kept my Mac II for years in storage before I rebooted it in 1998 or so after leaving it in storage from '89 or so. It still worked but in 1999 I went with Windows and have been there ever since.

I have an old Powerbook that I keep around just to run SoundDiver; it still addresses all of my older Synths, and my Quadraverb+.

I still use my Roland Guitar Synths as MIDI Converters, and I have more Synths and MIDI devices than guitars. Speaking of which . . .

Anyone who has IOS or Android, look online for the Korg Kaossilator app, and the Moog Model "D" app. They're both free right now, to help keep people entertained.