Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Last night I was given a Fostex MR16 HR/CD that has maybe 10 hours on it and was stored in a custom cut foam bed inside a sturdy aluminum briefcase thingie.

Original owner, he isn't very good with technical "stuff" and didn't gel with it.

I might find a use for it - remote recording. That and my Tascam DR40 could be 6 mics or 4 mics and 2 DIs. Easy to sync if there is a count off click.

I can keep it or sell it. I know it's 16 bit at 44khz, CD quality.

Anybody have or use one? Is it worth keeping? Or should I make it go away?

Thanks for any and all feedback, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The converters are 24-bit, so that helps. It has a 40 GB drive, which is enough for doing songs, and you can offload files via USB. Looks pretty cool, actually, if you want a portable multitrack or quick idea catcher to keep in your bedroom or whatever. The only limitation I see for remote recording is you can't do battery power, the thing needs 14 watts.

Thanks Craig!

Most of the time I will be in the midst of civilization and AC power will be available. I have my little Tascam which runs on batteries and can overdub one stereo track.

Planning on getting a Beecaster when i come up for air again, that and my laptop would be a portable battery powered solution too, with multi-track capbility. Battery life will probably be compromised but it could be workable.

I think it's worth learning more with the Fostex and seeing if the value is there, the price has probably more or less bottomed for now anyway.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.