Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland is joking...

Does Roland really thinks this Cloud Service will be profitable in a long term

It`s almost impossible to professionally use even with the purchased VSTs... passwords requests always pop-ups, constant Roland Cloud Manager updates which makes a hell to use...

I`m sad....

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very interested in the Roland Cloud - its been out for almost a year I vaguely recall

It sounds like its not ready for prime time

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I strongly dislike the subscription model. IMO, only active pros will really go through the offerings and apply them to real projects. It doesn't feel practical or cost-effective for mere mortals. However, after a year, you get to pick one of the Cloud synths as a keeper you own, or as much as we ever own software. Roland has made a few odd moves, but depending on how you take to their individual GUI, the price for an ample reproduction at year's end isn't unreasonable. I've always enjoyed the Roland gear I've played, so I see this as an act of good faith. Besides, I dropped a Juno-1 down the stairs and it never blinked. :D

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Yeah, certainly for my hobbyist needs I'm not getting a subscription. So far I've found enough good plugins that are simple purchases, offer use on multiple computers and don't make copy protection a hassle for me (iLok etc). If I was a working pro in the industry I'm sure my mindset would be different.

I strongly dislike the subscription model. IMO, only active pros will really go through the offerings and apply them to real projects. It doesn't feel practical or cost-effective for mere mortals. However, after a year, you get to pick one of the Cloud synths as a keeper you own, or as much as we ever own software. Roland has made a few odd moves, but depending on how you take to their individual GUI, the price for an ample reproduction at year's end isn't unreasonable. I've always enjoyed the Roland gear I've played, so I see this as an act of good faith. Besides, I dropped a Juno-1 down the stairs and it never blinked. :D

Unless its been re-instigated, the own a plug-in after a year has been dropped as a benefit. This was a poor move in my mind

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

It's been around for a few years now.

I know a lot of studio cats who use it. I subscribed for a few months. GREAT sounds!

I used the Jupiter 8 on gigs a few times. No issues. You do need to log in once a week to sync with the cloud. I would do that at the same time I'd log into Arturia Software Manager and Native Access.

I would also log in to Roland right before a gig.

Other than that it worked fine. The ACB modelling is fantastic, albeit very CPU intensive. Overall I think it is much for suited for studio use than us weekend warriors

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I only did the subscription because my money got refunded when I tried to buy a perpetual license or two. The website was out of date but is now corrected, I think, in terms of retroactively canceling those products.

I'm used to the Roland Cloud interface by now, and having to keep it running (if you close its GUI, you are effectively logged out and any DAW session that uses a Roland product then requires two logins, which is worse than one). Having said that, I highly suspect it is behind occasional crashes and instability in my sessions, as it asks us to permit things we prefer not to permit.

These are excellent products and worth the occasional two-year subscription discount, which I did last summer even though I rarely use synth sounds anymore. Over the years I had recreated Roland sounds on a gazillion other products, but a few weeks ago, with much time involved, I definitely verified that only Roland's soft synths get you 100% of the way there, so now there is no going back for me and I sold my "substitute" products such as Waldorf Attack (excellent product and also good for unique sounds, but I'm scaling back).

There is an identical earlier discussion on Roland Cloud from not too long ago (within the past 9 months), regarding its merits and pitfalls.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 1 month later...

Major update to Roland Cloud today, with a less intuitive and much harder-to-use interface that takes longer to find new and/or updated products.

In spite of that gripe, it comes with a new soft synth called Zenology, which I have installed but not tried yet, and which apparently is the core engine of FANTOM and JUPITER-X.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Oh, I didn't notice the permanent license availability part! I found it so hard to tell whether I had everything I needed, as scrolling is jumpy and the manager now includes hardware and software for hardware vs. just the Roland Cloud subscription products. I'll have to look into that a bit later.

I meant to add that Zenology is based on Zen-core, which I think got some discussion in the drummer's forum a few months back due to some drum-related software or firmware that uses it.

Wow Roland, how many ways can you milk saw and pulse waves? I guess as long as the masses like, eh?

Or does Zenology include Eric Persing's decades-old PCM samples for some D50 nostalgia? Woot ;)

(ha, I kid, I kid.. I guess it's what the kids want anyway).

i would suggest the sceptics check out Zenology and reconsider.

I've been playing it for a couple of hours.

As far as I can tell you get the ZenCore presets from MC grooveboxes, FANTOM, JUPITER X (not the ABM yet), all the preset banks from XV5080, literally thousands of sounds and hundreds of drum kits, plus what seems like SuperNATURAL piano and synth from FA.

I've only scratched the surface so far but this is an incredible VST, yes, a game changer.

And the cost for this. $30 per year. There is a higher tier which offers more editing and the ABM models.

If that's not a good deal, then I don't know what is.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I decided to check out the cloud. Logged into one of my two accounts. (Two, because I singed up for one and bought a pack for my TR-8, later bought a pack for my synth and used PayPal for payment. They created a new account to match my PayPal address even through I was logged into my first account when I bought it.)

Anyway, my main desire would be a good virtual Jupiter 8. That is only available with the top subscription, at $200 a year. No thanks. Looked for any pricing for permanent license. Saw it mentioned. Never found a link or pricing anywhere.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I only did the sub due to perpetual licenses not being available. I took advantage of a discount last summer for a two-year subscription.

Agreed, reconsider.

I signed up for the first iteration of Roland Cloud and dropped it. I downloaded the updated version today along with a bunch of software instruments. I"m happy to have access to some great instruments/libraries with options to buy an instrument for life. It seems folks are always looking for something to complain about. If it"s not for you, don"t subscribe... for the price a few overpriced coffees at Starbucks I"ll get much more value from the revamped Roland Cloud.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

Hey Roland fans,

What happened to the Roland Clan forum?

https://forums.rolandclan.com

I seem to be locked out for the past several days, with a never-before-seen login popup and then "access denied."

Is it shut down? Have they stopped loving me? Did I acquire a cookie they don't like?

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

interesting with the pricing for individual instruments, most were quite expensive.

Personally, I wouldn't buy or use any of those. Wait until all the ABM model banks are released for Zenology. These are Roland's latest and greatest emulations as found in JUPITER-X. They will sound better and the GUI of Zenology is way nicer than their older plugins.

here's what roland say themselves.

ZENOLOGY will soon support Model Expansions for perfect recreations of classic Roland synthesizers like the JUPITER-8, JUNO-106, SH-101, JX-8P and more. They use Analog Behavior Modeling to capture the essence of these legendary instruments and are optimized for high polyphony with an interface inspired by the originalâbut reimagined for use in your DAW.

There are hundreds of JP8, Juno, SH patches in the current version however, and they sound just fine to me. I think it's the Supernatural synth engine from the FA.

Actually, I'm not sure if this talks me out of a Roland hardware sale for a Jupiter X now.

I was all set to sell my FA-07 to a buyer and I have a great deal on a new-in-box Jupiter X, good deals for me on both ends.

But... why do this? Sure the Jupiter X has a big beautiful build, controls, nice keybed, aftertouch, etc. But can't I just get all of the sound on Roland Cloud now for like $30 a year?

Maybe I should hold off and re-think what I want. Maybe a Novation Summit is a better purchase for me, or just keep what I have and spend a fraction of that money on plug ins and tools.

This killed a purchase for me this week, or at least postponed it by doubting my plan.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Bummer about the Roland Clan Forums. They were pretty much inactive but still an archive source for the answers to frequently asked stupid questions. Roland should at least make them a read only archive.

AFAIK, Roland themselves had nothing to do with that site. I do hope it comes back. One thing that really hindered it was that every post had to be approved by a moderator, so could take some days to appear. That made it hard for topics to get momentum.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

yes, as a previous poster noted, roland releasing the synth engine and tones from their current hardware as a $30 plugin will make people think twice about buying the hardware. of course there are many other factors to consider when choosing between hardware/software but for many people the plugin will get the job done.

Korg also make their synths available as VSTs, but only the vintage stuff.

This is a rather radical and courageous move from Roland. And I think, incredibly generous. They must be betting on selling a ton of subscriptions and I hope they will.

Bummer about the Roland Clan Forums. They were pretty much inactive but still an archive source for the answers to frequently asked stupid questions. Roland should at least make them a read only archive.

AFAIK, Roland themselves had nothing to do with that site. I do hope it comes back. One thing that really hindered it was that every post had to be approved by a moderator, so could take some days to appear. That made it hard for topics to get momentum.

They had been hit really hard by spammers a few times. Guess that was their way to prevent it from happening over and over.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page