Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anyone else digging HD-CART
#3033505 03/15/20 08:07 PM
OP Offline
For some reason plugin reverbs are still more finicky for me than my outboard, so I am always bouncing around with ITB verbs. I just came back to HD-CART again today. It definitely has a sound. I dig it for getting aggressive punchy verbs that we used a lot in the 80s and 90s.
[Linked Image from cdn.rekkerd.org]

Ronan Chris Murphy - Producer-Engineer
(King Crimson, GWAR, Ulver, Mafia III)
ronanchrismurphy.com
1 member likes this: Dave Bryce
Re: Anyone else digging HD-CART
Ronan C Murphy #3033520 03/15/20 09:18 PM
Is there an explanation for the name? I thought that HD-CART might be some kind of high capacity removable data storage (or analog audio??) device. Is CART an acronym, like Continuously Adjustable Reverberation Time or something?

Mike Rivers #3033531 03/15/20 10:06 PM
OP Offline
I think the name comes from the surround expansion "cart" of the old Lexicon 480L

Ronan Chris Murphy - Producer-Engineer
(King Crimson, GWAR, Ulver, Mafia III)
ronanchrismurphy.com
Ronan C Murphy #3033715 03/17/20 02:55 AM
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
Originally Posted by Ronan C Murphy
I think the name comes from the surround expansion "cart" of the old Lexicon 480L
Correct. It’s the only algorithm that uses all of the 480’s processing power on a single reverb.

Casey Dowdell from Bricasti shares more info on it’s origin:

Some history on this?

Dave Griesinger had a side business outside of Lexicon. He worked with one other guy to put racks of 480s into dozens of great halls throughout the world to improve their acoustics.

Mics are placed near the stage and the 480s using the Surround Cart algorithm provided sound to hidden speakers all around the Hall. Shhhh

The Surround Cart Alg is by far the most modulated of any of the Lex algorithms. Even the early reflections are super modulated. That’s why it took the entire 480 to run.

The reason for this is that he needed to achieve as much reverb gain before feedback in the hall.

Anyone that’s ever done a live gig knows that reverb can really cause feedback headaches. The same thing was happening in the Halls due to the hidden speakers feeding back to the mics near the stage. Of course at a live rock gig feedback is a normal occurrence and can be a part of the show.

In this case, where the 480s are hidden so that no one knows that the hall is enhanced with the extra 480 verb, any feedback during a symphony, ballet or opera performance would be quite curious.

So the Surround Cart is heavily modulated, particularly the early reflections, to prevent feedback from building up.

Dave Griesinger truly dislikes the pitch artifacts of reverb modulation, but he created modulated bliss out of necessity in the Surround Cart alg.

dB

Ronan C Murphy #3033874 03/17/20 11:34 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
thanks for that history lesson dB, I did not know any of that.

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.

Moderated by  Ronan C Murphy 

Link Copied to Clipboard