Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

UNAD Win!

Used New Amp Day.

I have a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1. I put a Weber NeoMag 10" in it and it is an entirely new amp.

Vypyrs are Transtube, I've found the higher you can get the Master the better. The new speaker is scary efficient and just a treat.

I just messed about with the amp for an hour, getting tones I love.

Next I'll try the Sanpera 1 and see what I can get out of a small, light and simple to set up rig.

Last but not least, I have been testing options for a 2 amp stereo rig. This one belongs in that rig, the options for presets with the Sanpera are perfect.

Maybe on top of the Katana combo set on it's side. That is a great amp to gig too.

Just rambling, hope everybody is well and having fun!!! Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to use the same Weber NeoMag 10" in the Sanpera Kuru? Hope it all works out for you. "Small, light and simple" is a great way to go for a stereo rig. Have fun with it! :cool:

Thanks Larryz, the Sanpera is a footswitch system that uses a single cable to allow switching from presets (4 banks of 3 presets each) and expression pedal(s). I have both Sanpera 1 and 2.

The Sanpera 1 is small with 4 footswitches and 1 pedal that can be switched from Volume to Wah. That and a Vypyr is a versatile rig and very fast/easy to set up. Small and light, we play quite a few smaller venues and that coming off the stage is all that is needed. 1 cord from guitar to amp, 1 cord from amp to Sanpera - done.

I am going to try combinations of that and my Cube 40gx and also with my PV Transtube 258 EFX (I put a Scorpion 10 in this and it's great for small gigs too). Then I could have stereo modulation, quick and easy tap tempo delay near at hand, another lead tone etc.

Sanpera 2 is big with more switches and 2 expression pedals instead of 1. I have a Vypyr VIP 3 also. For bigger gigs I am considering stacking the Boss Katana on top of it and having two full featured rigs running together. Since we don't have a keyboard player and I am Head Decorator (lead guitar, backup vocals), these stereo rigs can provide more voices, more texture etc.

Over time, I've come to LOVE the tone of the Peavey Transtube technology. Like Tech 21 Sansamp, it is analog tube amp simulation using all solid state components. If you understand it and dial your amp accordingly, it can sound fantastic.

And yes, I HATE stuff on the floor!!! If that's the worst part of my job, so be it. Cheers, Kuru

Sorry Kuru, I had Supro on the brain. They make a couple of amps with 10" speakers and I thought you were going to swap a stock speaker out to match the Vypyrâ¦brain fart. :facepalm:

I had not heard of the Sanpera foot controller made for the Peavey. My Fender Floor multi has similar effects and presets, foot controller for wah and expression, etc. with 2 xlr outs to a PA or 2 1/4" outs to amps for stereo. It would be cool if the foot pedal had left and right panning capability for throwing sound across the stage...

I also used a Tech21 Blonde to make my other amps sound like Fender amps and to use as a distortion or clean boost on all my amps. Tech21 makes great pedals. They can be put at the end of the line and go direct to the PA as the 1/4" out is lowZ. This can also come in handy if an amp takes a crap on you. Right now I'm using my Fender Tone Master Deluxe for guitar and my Roland EX 50 for my PA. Both can be used as monitors and run to the FOH or can stand alone in smaller venues. I can leave the amp at home and really travel light with just the EX.

Keep us posted and have fun creating the cool stereo sounds! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Sorry Kuru, I had Supro on the brain. They make a couple of amps with 10" speakers and I thought you were going to swap a stock speaker out to match the Vypyrâ¦brain fart. :facepalm:

I had not heard of the Sanpera foot controller made for the Peavey. My Fender Floor multi has similar effects and presets, foot controller for wah and expression, etc. with 2 xlr outs to a PA or 2 1/4" outs to amps for stereo. It would be cool if the foot pedal had left and right panning capability for throwing sound across the stage...

I also used a Tech21 Blonde to make my other amps sound like Fender amps and to use as a distortion or clean boost on all my amps. Tech21 makes great pedals. They can be put at the end of the line and go direct to the PA as the 1/4" out is lowZ. This can also come in handy if an amp takes a crap on you. Right now I'm using my Fender Tone Master Deluxe for guitar and my Roland EX 50 for my PA. Both can be used as monitors and run to the FOH or can stand alone in smaller venues. I can leave the amp at home and really travel light with just the EX.

Keep us posted and have fun creating the cool stereo sounds! :cool:

Thanks Larry,

No worries. The Sanpera is a controller for the Vypyr, it does not have any sounds, inputs or outputs. Just a 7 pin MIDI cable to the amp. It is powered by the amp and performs all the switching functions plus an expression pedal dedicated to Wah and Volume on the Sanpera 1. The Sanpera 2 has more functions, can turn every preset into a pedal board (switch chorus or distortion pedal on/off and stuff like that).

It also has a second expression pedal that can be assigned to almost any function that can be programmed, like the speed of a modulation or the level of distortion.

https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/658/118365/

https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/658/118366/

Very cool concept. I was wondering about that midi cord. Nice to have that onboard looper and almost all the controls for the amp at your feet. The Fender Floor is similar in concept. It is the Fender Mustang amp at your feet with all the controls as the brain. It can then be plugged into any amp or PA. Having the patches and bank up and down is a very useful function. The sounds created by the Vupyr are very cool from watching a couple of the demo vids. I would probably go with the I as it weighs a lot less than the II. But, then I would always be dreaming about the II...I could get lost in either one LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Yes, it is a good system, a serious update of the Transformer amp from the 90's, which had a footswitch pedal that let you navigate banks and presets within the banks. That had the WYSIWIG idea too, the LEDs tell you instantly what your amp is doing. That's a great idea.

Of course, there is the newest version - the Vypyr Pro, which allows blending up to 4 different "amps" has more effects and the Pro Sanpera. It really is just way too much for me to deal with!!! The Sanpera Pro is on the same page https://peavey.com/products/vypyrpro/

The Boss Katana has a similar system but modular - a six button footswitch with 2 jacks for expression pedals. Boss is simpler.

It would be fun to have one of each, including the Fender Mustang and whatever Line 6 stuff is out now. I would probably go with what is easy to program and makes sense. I LOVE the Katana for simplicity, they have two Banks of 4 Presets each - total of 8 different sounds. The computer interface for progamming the amp is beautifully laid out and easy to work with. The switch on the far right of the footswitch turns your preset into a pedal board with options for turning on/off distortion, effects, etc. plus a Tap Tempo button. It's simple, easy to learn, sounds great and gets the job done. I really only use 2 presets at gigs, if I added the expression pedal for wah it woudl cover anything and everything.

Plus the Line Out with speaker sim is really good so you don't need to mic it. It's tempting to just sell all the other stuff and get another Katana!

So far, I prefer the Peavey amp tones to Boss (Katana and Cube).

I haven't done a deep dive with Fender or Line 6. Line 6 looks like option overload to me, I like it simple at gigs and small on the floor is favored as well.

Cheers, Kuru

I like the two Katana concept...a line out from each amp to two PA channels would be cool for larger venues and more tone controls and 3way speakers and 50watts +/- with a 12" speaker in each amp would be cool for smaller venues. Plus for even more intimate venues you can leave one at home. And you are already more than familiar with the amp(s) for easy set up and navigation. Anyway, we can dream can't we? :cool:
Take care, Larryz