Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Corona Virus thread

Cancelled gigs?

A friend's band is having their debut tonight. Its not cancelled - which surprises me because its a pretty big venue - but many others are. What a crappy night to have a debut; some people might stay home because of the virus and some might stay home because we're starting to get some freezing rain (the venue is pretty far away). Overall a gloomy night all around.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I"m retired from any kind of 'regular" day job. Just now got an email that effective Monday, the School of Rock I teach keys at very part time is now closed, but they are working on a plan for remote video teaching. Since I"m mainly doing this for the fun of working with kids and young adults, this sucks. And I"m certain any and all band gigs I do are about to be cancelled. Oh well, I"ve got plenty of spaghetti and toilet paper.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

All of the practical and scientific steps should be adhered to out of common sense. This is a more serious wave than some we've seen, but the system always gears up to combat it and the wave passes.

The only real problem I'm having is my desire to run up behind a long list of public figures, throw a shot glass full of water on their necks while "sneezing" loudly and then saying "Oh, I'm SO sorry!"

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

All of the practical and scientific steps should be adhered to out of common sense. This is a more serious wave than some we've seen, but the system always gears up to combat it and the wave passes.

The only real problem I'm having is my desire to run up behind a long list of public figures, throw a shot glass full of water on their necks while "sneezing" loudly and then saying "Oh, I'm SO sorry!"

Ya know...running with glass may be more hazardous than the Corona Virus. Might I suggest pissing instead?

All my gigs, both playing and live sound, for the next month cancelled. My band was set to open for The Sugarhill Gang, touring to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Rapper's Delight, next Thursday, but it's cancelled. Also, my part-time retail job is on hold as the store is closing indefinitely next week. So, basically, all my income streams are shut down.

We have a busy summer of festivals and concerts booked, I'm praying this passes by June, otherwise, I am seriously, deeply screwed.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I"m at the gig waiting for it to start out in my car after a line check. It"s absolutely packed here I"ve mentioned to a couple people that it"s odd that they"re still having bands at this time and they looked at me like I had three heads. Nobody in the band thinks it"s weird either. Welp I hope they are all right and I"m wrong to worry.

As I posted elsewhere, yes, all my gigs for the next two months either cancelled or postponed. Thankfully this weekend's gigs were under contract and we'll be paid regardless of whether they end up making up the dates or not. This is gonna be a crunch.

Please take this seriously y'all. If not for you, for the people around you.

Also, my house is already cleaner than its been in months and we're like, two days in here.

Isolation is interesting. In my family of four we're on our 10th day of mild-but-persistent fever. No other symptoms and other than a high temp we feel not so bad. Other than walking the dog we pretty much stopped going out as soon as the fever started. I'm still going out for jogs, much to my wife's dismay. The toughest part has been trying not to get on each other's nerves. I love my kids, but being with them 24/7 is starting to drive me bonkers. But if that's our biggest problem, we're doing ok.

Finally organizing my garage (it only took a global pandemic). Playing keyboards with headphones for a couple hours after family goes to sleep (not unusual).

Reading and posting more than usual on this forum. Y'all are helping keep me sane. Keep it up.

Glad it's going well for you so far, hang in there :thu:

My regular Thursday night jam where I'm the resident keyboard player has been cancelled until further notice. Rehearsals for my new gigging band have also been suspended. We're mostly greybeards whose musical heyday was deep in the last century. We play for fun and the buzz, and we're all a little leery of messing with the bug that a gleeful Twitter mob has labelled "The Boomer Remover." I feel great sympathy for those who are losing their primary source of income to this thing. Losing a life to it would be infinitely worse.

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

On order of the health officer, gatherings of more than 50 individuals are prohibited in San Mateo County effective 12:01 a.m. Sunday, March 15, 2020. Gatherings between 10 and 50 individuals are prohibited unless specific mitigation measures are taken:

The space in which the gathering is held must accommodate social distancing by allowing all attendees to stand or sit at least six feet from any other attendee;

Proper hand hygiene and sanitation material must be readily available to all persons at all times, including soap and waste receptacles. If soap and water are not available, alcohol-based hand sanitizer can be used.

Persons hosting gatherings must alert prospective attendees at least 24 hours prior to the gathering that gatherings pose a heightened risk of COVID-19 transmission, and that older adults and individuals with existing health conditions are at particularly serious risk if they contract COVID-19 and should not attend;

Persons hosting gatherings must clean surfaces with disinfecting wipes or other standard cleaners before, during, and after the event

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I"m at the gig waiting for it to start out in my car after a line check. It"s absolutely packed here I"ve mentioned to a couple people that it"s odd that they"re still having bands at this time and they looked at me like I had three heads. Nobody in the band thinks it"s weird either. Welp I hope they are all right and I"m wrong to worry.

I'm in CFL, where's your gig?

The Amway has cancelled their concerts, the Tampa area was ground zero for the first statewide reports...

Plenty of stories in the news today about how young folks are still going out and packing bars. Doing so will kill people directly, by spreading a virus to which there is no immunity, and indirectly by overtaxing a health care system not equiped to handle what's happening. And yet they party on. . .

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

We went from eh? to OMG in 24 hours. Still plenty who think it's a hoax or let it go. Our state was the last in the country to declare an emergency. We had the first positve case in the state today. Schools closed 1 hour later. The S has hit the F.

Our ski lifts are still going.......

A few things:

Fever is the most common dectectable symptom. IR temp guns are cheap and can pick up alot of them. They are harder to find every day. I ordered one.

Home transmission is primary. The only tactic which actually works is to move positive people away from their family. You can imagine how that's going to play.

We ain't seen nothing yet. Mass graves in Iran can be seen from space being filled. Italy would be the model for Europe and the US, a few weeks ahead.

80% of cases are mild? No. 20% of cases require oxygen. The reamining 80 range from unoticed to pneumonia.

Transmision still a subject of debate. How long does the virus float after a cough? Not really clear yet.

It's not like any flu you or me can conjure. That will soon become clear. Near certain it will take out many care providers in a few weeks, as it is doing now in Italy. The shortage of respirators means deaths rates may well exceed Wuhan. They have the factories to build them.

On the positive side, testing is more widely available every day.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Plenty of stories in the news today about how young folks are still going out and packing bars. Doing so will kill people directly, by spreading a virus to which there is no immunity, and indirectly by overtaxing a health care system not equiped to handle what's happening. And yet they party on. . .

We were invincible as well back in our youth. I think it best to remember that mindset when talking to your kids about this stuff.

Long Island NY... the shelves are stocking out here...I have my laptop from work and an new VPN link to work from home and plenty of development projects and interactive programs to build... ready to work from home but Voxx/Klipsch hasn't announced work from home yet and I'm hoping to get an email later today or in the morning...My 94 year old Mom in Queens is another issue. Not fun..but so far so good...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

We were invincible as well back in our youth. I think it best to remember that mindset when talking to your kids about this stuff.

The risk is not that you might crash driving drunk or get an STD. The risk is that you unknowingly pass the virus to someone who works at a grocery store checkout who passes it to someone's elderly aunt who dies from it after passing it on to doctors at the hospital who then can't treat the next patient. What Dr. Fauci and others are trying to make people understand is that the amount of damage this will do to health and the economy depends on people doing the right thing for society as a whole regardless of their personal risk.

I know you get it. The question is whether the yoots do.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Its been scientifically stated that an corona exposed person can show no symptoms yet communicate the virus to others

Some folks have compromised immune systems and ongoing respiratory conditions. These groups should certainly

not be exposed unnecessarily.

It 1 example why the virus is difficult and confusing.

Thus the numerous stay at home statements by health authorities and informed/coordinated governing

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Have just got a directive from work (a university in London) saying that all face to face teaching activities (lectures, seminars, tutorials, AND exams etc.) have been suspended with immediate effect. All remaining classes from tomorrow are to be conducted online. Even graduation ceremonies have been summarily cancelled, leaving parents who"ve travelled from all over the world in a bit of a headspin. Seems the UK - the institutions at least, still not the government - is finally making sensible decisions. Weird times.

What I was reading yesterday the big issue with the virus spreading is most people don't feel bad at first and then maybe mild symptom so they keep going out and unknowingly spreading the virus.

I was curious that don't hear much about Russia so checked their news. They are finally saying they have a 1000 know cases and 1 death, but they should have a testing method in a couple weeks that will give results faster that the current tests.

Governor Newsom [ CA] just ordered me to stay home !

No problem !

Me too.

California Gov. Newsom orders home isolation for all seniors, bars to close, restaurants to limit capacity.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/california-gov-newsom-orders-home-isolation-for-all-seniors-bars-to-close-restaurants-to-limit-capacity?fbclid=IwAR2CR75AZn6xy2l4SGvbbxW-Zn1FGQkQ2X6gzZxKIPxexMgaNb-Ks2RrheQ

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Some mathematical simulations featured in this article regarding the effects of quarantine and degrees of social distancing. I like how the models show how resistance to the virus increases over time.

CLONK

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Governor Newsom [ CA] just ordered me to stay home !

No problem !

Me too.

California Gov. Newsom orders home isolation for all seniors, bars to close, restaurants to limit capacity.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/california-gov-newsom-orders-home-isolation-for-all-seniors-bars-to-close-restaurants-to-limit-capacity?fbclid=IwAR2CR75AZn6xy2l4SGvbbxW-Zn1FGQkQ2X6gzZxKIPxexMgaNb-Ks2RrheQ

Okay Gov' BUT who's gonna bring me something to eat??? I'm like the lone Jazz cat in a Twilight Zone of Country music and Classic Rock no one even knows I exist out here!