Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SampleTank 4 CS free version

I bought SampleTank 3 full version just before they announced SampleTank 4. It was cheap and had lots of instruments.

Then I got a deal on SampleTank 4 "light" - don't remember what they called it. It was the full version of the SampleTank 4 interface but with fewer sounds.

It worked much better than SampleTank 3, did not crash for one thing.

And I could import all my SampleTank 3 sounds.

Now they have a free version.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/index.php?id=st4cs&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=st4CS

I haven't looked at it to see if there are some new sounds I can snag. Guessing if you have an older SampleTank you could import all your sounds and have more stable software.

So it might be worth checking out. PSA, cheers Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like SampleTank a lot, and have the full V4 version. There are quite a few sounds in common with ST3, so I think your tip about getting the free version and importing the ST3 sounds makes a lot of sense. Then you can add on new sounds when/if you want...the new expansion packs look interesting.

IK is in Modena, Italy, so they'll have plenty of time to sit around at home and come up with new software...

The page leading to the download on IK's site said "50 all-new sounds"

I will try installing the sounds first, OS X usually warns you if you are trying to install something that you already have.

If that goes well I will probably install the sounds into my SampleTank 4 and call it good.

The CS versions do tend to pile in a bunch of unauthorized plugins in hopes that you'll buy them eventually. Just clutter for me at this point.

Will come back in a day or two and report.

Please do! I think more software is going to the free shell/paid add-ons approach. Kind of like the cost of a rack compared to the cost of rack-mount units :)

Please do! I think more software is going to the free shell/paid add-ons approach. Kind of like the cost of a rack compared to the cost of rack-mount units :)

It's the old razor/blade marketing. It works so people use it.

Sell razor cheap, sell blades for years.

OK, I downloaded and installed everything. If you open the installer on a Mac it will display a folder with all your free goodies, there are all sorts of cool things.

I will admit going in that I didn't check my own sounds to see if I already had anything. Usually a Mac will ask if you want to replace something with the same name. That didn't happen.

First I installed the sounds. Then, I noticed that what I downloaded from the SampleTank CS install link was an update for SampleTank 4.1 so I installed that too. I did not get an install for CS so it appears it prescans and sends you what you need, at least on a Mac.

I dont have CS in my Applications.

Then I rescanned all of my SampleTank sounds - Open SampleTank as an app, the "gear" icon directly above the highest notes on the keyboard on SampleTank is the Settings tab. Click Sound Content and Rescan.

I fired up a couple of the Berlin Pianos, just on my laptop speakers. All is well.

This is a nice package for free!!!!!!!

If you have SampleTank 3 you might want to install the CS. I found the SampleTank 4 interface to be much less prone to misbehavior than version 3. It works without restarting things or crashing your DAW.

Cheers, Kuru

I took IK at their word when they recommended backing up the downloads :) Then again, given how sloooooooow ATT DSL is around here, I back up pretty much any download I might want to use again.

I have backups of IK downloads too. That's fair, you have the software and you can reinstall it if you get a new computer etc.

They don't have to keep a gigantic backlog of software available for download for all eternity.

At some point, upgrades leave things behind. There is no way around that or reason for IK to be resposible for those who do not upgrade and keep on using software.

I have a good friend with a home studio running the first version of Studio One. He refused to upgrade, all his stuff works and he is happy.

If something croaks I wouldn't expect Presonus to be responsible for providing a fresh copy of the first version. Aren't they in version 4 now?

I have a good friend with a home studio running the first version of Studio One. He refused to upgrade, all his stuff works and he is happy.

If something croaks I wouldn't expect Presonus to be responsible for providing a fresh copy of the first version. Aren't they in version 4 now?

Yes it's on version 4, but if he goes to his user account, he'll find he can still download version 1.6.5 (the last rev before version 2 came out). He'll also find the product key in case he lost it, and be able to manage activations - i.e., if he used up all his 5 authorizations, he can remove an unused one like from an old computer. However, it's download only - he won't be able to get physical media.

I assume the reason they can do this is because they really only need one copy of the software on a server, and they match his product key against a database...but that's just speculation.

BTW I understand why people don't upgrade, but if he ever tries version 4, he'll kick himself for not upgrading sooner. PreSonus updates are quite deliberate - you can keep using the program the way you did, and learn about the new features at your convenience. They're not into radical re-designs that move things around into unexpected places.

Yes it's on version 4, but if he goes to his user account, he'll find he can still download version 1.6.5 (the last rev before version 2 came out). He'll also find the product key in case he lost it, and be able to manage activations - i.e., if he used up all his 5 authorizations, he can remove an unused one like from an old computer. However, it's download only - he won't be able to get physical media.

I assume the reason they can do this is because they really only need one copy of the software on a server, and they match his product key against a database...but that's just speculation.

BTW I understand why people don't upgrade, but if he ever tries version 4, he'll kick himself for not upgrading sooner. PreSonus updates are quite deliberate - you can keep using the program the way you did, and learn about the new features at your convenience. They're not into radical re-designs that move things around into unexpected places.

It is similar with Tracktion/Waveform. I could download Tracktion 4 for some reason I wanted it. Waveform 11 is in beta, will be available soon.

I guess it's a different story when you have LOTS of plugins and the files are huge, like IK and NI.

Anyway, he is set in his ways so I just let him do what he wants.

I took IK at their word when they recommended backing up the downloads :)

I typically try to be vigilant about that but things get hectic and wow, I've got backup drives for this and that scattered all over around here! At least I'm down to only four computers now (the ones that are mine anyway). I did finally find my ST sound backups in zip form later.

It costs to download those huge files again also but using Jam Points it was only 6 or 7 dollars.

Backed up all of the downloads for my IK product, then used Blu-Ray burner to burn all to a Blu-Ray disc, so I could get the space back on the computer.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Another Blu-Ray data fan!! I thought I was all alone. What a great medium...although I'm still on 25 GB discs, haven't tried dual layer ones yet.

And of course, anything on Blu-Ray is immune to ransomware attacks. I've been reading about ransomware that corrupts an entire system, so if you have a hard drive with everything backed up but connected to your computer at the time of an attack, it could become unrecoverable.