Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hagstrom re-releases the world's first 8-string bass from 67

Good point; Melodyne is pretty good at converting recorded bass to MIDI, if you're good about muting as you play (and if you're not, the MIDI is still easy to clean up afterwards). I used this trick to convert some old tracks to upright bass, as placeholders before I find time to record fresh live takes on my upright.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 1 year later...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got it set up last week, after hemming and hawing over which of three available string sets to buy for it (the ones it ships with aren't sold after-market and are very different in gauge from anything you can actually buy).

Some complain that the D'addario set doesn't properly fit this medium scale instrument (even though the through-body stringing does get its string length a bit closer to full-scale needs), but it's the closest in gauge.

I don't generally like GHS electric guitar/bass strings, but some say it makes this bass sound like a harpsichord. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. I went with the Rotosound set, which is WAY heavier in gauge.

Of course, tension matters more than gauge, but those specs aren't listed. Many say these are the best-balanced of all available 8-string sets. The setup work was done well, but I almost feel like I have to stroke up vs. down.

Anyway, the jury is out on this bass's utility, as I don't yet feel I have enough consistency of timbre across the instrument and up and down the neck, but it's better than before the setup work and string change, at least.

The technician was impressed by Hagstrom's overall workmanship and does feel they put pretty good pickups on this instrument and that it also sounds fairly authentic for the 60's model it is trying to emulate.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Mark, I hope it works out better than expected. I'm sure that thing is heavy and you wouldn't want it strapped on for 2+ hours.

One thing I do know. If you show up with more than 5 strings, everyone better be convinced it was worth it.

It's like showing up with a pink shirt. There's nothing wrong with it, but if you wear it, you better own it.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!