Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Genesis to reunite for 2020 tour

I'm not trying to be provocative here, but it seems strange to me to hear that Genesis lost their legitimacy after they had cheesy radio hits, because I always felt Genesis was cheesy theatrical prog. I never got what all the fuss was about, and still don't. I always thought Genesis was kind of like a brainier Supertramp. :idk:

Just a point of discussion; feel free to throw rocks.

Here for the gear.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to be provocative here, but it seems strange to me to hear that Genesis lost their legitimacy after they had cheesy radio hits, because I always felt Genesis was cheesy theatrical prog. I never got what all the fuss was about, and still don't. I always thought Genesis was kind of like a brainier Supertramp. :idk:

Just a point of discussion; feel free to throw rocks.

I never really got Genesis either until maybe several years ago. I never bought any of their albums until recently. Back in the day, I was an ELP and Yes fan, and I thought that Genesis was just rambling boredom with corny theatrics. I"m still on the fence about them even now.

I'm just the opposite. I was a young arrogant rocker when I first heard Genesis. I was all about the chops and flash, and ELP and Yes and Gentle Giant were my bands.

In 1973 I was in a stereo shop (remember those???) and they were using Genesis Live to demo their speaker systems. I picked up the album cover and saw Gabriel in his triangle head gear with his little bass drum and sneered. Then I heard a glorious sound coming from the speakers and became an instant fan.

To me, they used their chops in service of a much more musical and lyrical sound than others had. With Yes descending into lick soup after hitting their peak with Close To The Edge, and ELP putting out a mediocre triple album, I was ready for something new.

Moe

---

Thanks to tonybanskfan and Nordude for clarification and correction - The song in question was "No Reply at All", and it was the EW&F Horn section, not TOP.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

The ability to want to play music never leaves any musician and these guy's aren't any different. They should be able to tour if they want to. We're lucky to have something because if any of these guys pass there will be threads here about it.

I agree with you, Jason. When people say an old band should hang it up, it's not really up to them, and besides, what else do these guys know? They've been doing this and only this since they were kids. I do hope they're doing it because they want to, not for the cash. But this is America, where the $ reigns, yet people complain about people doing it for the money and audiences paying for it. Isn't that how it works here? :snax:

P.S. Great post, Jim. I saw that on FB the other day and was subconsciously thinking about it as I read this thread. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

In 1973 I was in a stereo shop (remember those???)

I used to go to Fred Locke Stereo in Connecticut regularly to drool :drool: at the gear. ESS, Nakamichi, Phase Linear, Revox, SAE, Magnepan; those were the days.

And IIRC, Fred Locke Stereo had something to do with starting the EML synth company.

They should bring Ray Wilson along to cover some Gabriel vocals. It could inject some new energy both physically and visually , and it would give Phil a chance to cope with the demands of singing powerfully for an entire show let alone a tour. Their voices would work well together and we wouldn't just have to watch Phil sit in a chair for 3 hours. According to Nic Collins, he has let it slip that their rehearsing alot of oldies, but I doubt many make it into the tour. They always have been good at putting some juicy medleys together so maybe we can hope for some new combo.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ ESI UNIK 8+ monitors/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo/ CPS Spacestation 

• 1 month later...
I have to look Ray up I haven't really followed what's happened to them. My drummer was really into this group for years.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I do believe they're too old for a real reunion. Apparently, no one told the Rolling Stones.

Some people don't know when they're long past retirement age.

Give me a break.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The ability to want to play music never leaves any musician and these guy's aren't any different. They should be able to tour if they want to. We're lucky to have something because if any of these guys pass there will be threads here about it.

:yeahthat: As long as he's happy doing it and isn't being forced or anything, go for it I say. I actually like both his Genesis and some of his solo music. It's not my area of largest exposure, but it's better than a lot of the crap on pop or rock radio these days. IF a tour managed to come to my area, I would definitely consider going (and I am not a concert person).

I read through this whole thread...mostly pretty reasonable. Fun stories from some.

Now, that said...

I think some of you need to remember that you yourself, as well as I, will get to his age someday. If some of you took the time to look into *why* he's in such bad shape, maybe you'd have a bit more respect for the guy. If you've ever had a shattered wrist with a bad prognosis (:wave:), or a brain injury, or anything else that could totally end your playing, you should appreciate that Phil isn't an object. As musicians I would hope you would realize how much music is tied into a musician's sense of worth and identity. Imagine how it was for him, basically losing 70% of his abilities. Is it really necessary to taunt someone who's trying to cope with horrible injuries and a failing body but who still loves music?

I just don't appreciate the idea of people becoming worthless when they're older. :idk:

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments