Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Silent Rave" in the middle of Corona Season

Okay... the trend of headphone-based block parties is idiotic enough as it is. But just this morning, the venue around the corner from me just announced the dirty-headphone-sharing event in early April, just when the epidemic it's likely to be hitting Hawaii at a critical time. I know life must go on, but this idea just rides the short bus!

Oh, and Silent Raves are **** to begin with.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did one at a wedding recently. Quite enjoyed it.
I rather think the headphone experience for an audience is akin to the in-ear experience for performers: same environment, lower volume, clearer sound, more person-to-person isolation to negotiate.

But on one thing we can all agree, if the "imagine no more concerts" thread is any indication: now is not a great time to be doing that.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I did one at a wedding recently. Quite enjoyed it.

What? Why? How? :pop: I don't see how people would be interested in this at something like a wedding with all the attention on styling hair. Headphones ruin hairdos if not interfere with the hairdo being shown off. Plus weddings are typically held during the hottest time of the year. Who wants to wear headphones when it is hot? There are people who want to dance with headphones on? How do people communicate when they are listening to the music through headphones? It is surprising how many attend concerts and talk the whole time. All of the cell phone videos of concerts illustrate how common this is. People definitely talk to one another at weddings.

This is just a precursor to our cybernetic audio implants. Someday, we'll have an app on our phones where we can do our internal brain mix between our ears, Bluetooth connection to our phones, or other wireless sources ported directly to our brains. Significant other nagging you? Mute your ears and turn up Spotify. Have your brain connected to the rave audio but want to talk to somebody without your ears? Use the app that connects your phone's and uses somethinglike the speech to text technology and the CarPlay app now. Brain to Text. Think something, your implant converts it to text in your phone, texted to the other phone, where Siri reads it to the other person's brain. Ultimately, everybody sounds like Siri.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I don't know if the "silent disco" thing started in the Bay Area, but it's plausible that it did. A DJ friend of mine was on the leading edge of it here, and his events were the first I'd heard of it.

Picture 100 people on a beach at sunset, getting down to grooves without having to ruin everyone else's experience by blasting their tunes. It can be a really cool thing.

My non-expert conjecture is that if you carefully disinfect the headphones and you're dancing outside rather than in a poorly-ventilated club, you might actually be safer. Not safer than staying home, of course.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Picture 100 people on a beach at sunset, getting down to grooves without having to ruin everyone else's experience by blasting their tunes. It can be a really cool thing.

My non-expert conjecture is that if you carefully disinfect the headphones and you're dancing outside rather than in a poorly-ventilated club, you might actually be safer. Not safer than staying home, of course.

Yes, but who honestly thinks they're carefully disinfecting the cans? Headphones are not easy to disinfect, you have to spray them down and leave it on for 1min+ between every use. And you know people are going to be sharing headphones like crazy on the floor.

Otherwise, i do get that it is a humane, noise-polution-free endevour, and I do applaud that. Maybe I'm just being a fuddy-duddy about my overall distaste for it. But my original complaint about it being unhygienic during a global pandemic still stands.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Yeah, I just don't know how one could do it and make it economically and environmentally viable. You'd really just want to use disposable headphones and throw them out. But that would be hugely wasteful, and far more egregious than the noise pollution live sound would cause. It wouldn't surprise me that the headphones are brand new out of the box, and will probably end up in landfills within the week. Otherwise, they're dirty re-used phones that haven't been disinfected. Yeah... the more I think about it, this just isn't a good idea. If anything, they should just require everyone to bring their own headphones/earbuds. Hell, everyone's walking around with them on anyway.