Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Somewhat OT: Staying in or going out?

I'll get right to the question at hand; has anyone here changed their plans, long-term or day-to-day, in response to the current Corona Virus outbreak? Have you passed on dinner out, a movie you wanted to see, visiting friends or family, going to religious services, or cancelled a paying gig, because of concerns about contagion? Are you thinking of changing other, upcoming plans, because of it? Has your school, workplace, place of worship, or community changed or cancelled anything?

(Not trying to bring either politics or religion into this, except as places & events where people gather. FWIW, there is a lot of concern in D.C. right now because a local religious leader has been confirmed with the virus, and he was distributing Communion at services recently. That's why I mention it at all.)

With Springtime coming, it's the season for outdoor concerts, farm markets, street festivals, all manner of public gatherings, never mind rallies leading up to the election. Shutting down public events can mean a substantial loss of revenue, which means less money for public health & safety. Those can be big decisions for places and venues that need the infusion of $$$ every season.

Self-quarantine only goes so far. Allergy season is about to hit here around D.C. - if everyone with a runny nose self-quarantines, there'll be no one outdoors except the foolhardy, and unfazed fatalists. I imagine there'll be a lot of otherwise healthy people running to their doctors at the first sniffle of Spring. Well, at least that will get more people tested, I suppose.

I expect we'll see more closings and cancellations, as this goes on, at least until there's a better understanding of how dangerous it really is, or isn't, and how quickly the situation changes. There are already indications that the virus is mutating into a less dangerous form, but it's not like you can check a box and choose which one you get.

I sure don't have any answers, just looking to see what others here in the Forum are doing, or experiencing, as this goes on. In the meantime, wash your hands . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not going to that Pearl Jam concert or Coachella now...

No immediate change of plans for me. While it's good to be concerned, you don't have to become a kook about it. Just use some common sense.

I'm hoping it doesn't have an effect on smaller tours/concerts; and that events like ProgStock are far enough out (October) that most of this will have blown over by then. Of course, it could make an issue for bands coming in from other countries. Last year, IO Earth had to back out at the last minute due to visa problems; they're re-booked for this year, and I'd hate to have them cancel again due to something beyond their control.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I'm not going to change any of my plans, although some of them have been changed for me. Harvard University has cancelled the concert we were supposed to do there next week. I'm expecting more cancellations in the following weeks. But I am not stocking up on toilet paper, because that strikes me as ridiculous. As Californians are urged all the time to have survival kits which will get us through several weeks without power, water, or food in the event of a catastrophic earthquake or wildfire, I have all the supplies I need on hand for the time being. Plus, you really can't survive for long on a diet of toilet paper. Other than losing some paying work, the only change for me is I am washing my hands more often, & pushing elevator buttons with my knuckles, & fist bumping.
Scott Fraser

No change of plans per se, but I didn"t have any plans to attend any large gatherings beyond going to church on Sundays. But I should note that our diocese has decreed that the distribution of wine is stopping until further notice, as is passing the peace. They"re also discouraging the holding of hands during the Our Father.

In the meantime, I"m still going to groceries and restaurants, etc, like normal. No panic buying.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I will be working out at the gym this afternoon, as usual. This coming Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I will be at the Lansing Deer and Turkey Expo, minus a lot of inventory (my last show a week and a half ago was excellent, and I am still waiting on shipments of new stuff that have been sitting in China and Korea that should have been delivered already). So no, I am not changing one single thing that I am doing. This coronavirus has been killing less people than the regular flu, and I don't become a hermit every year out of fear of the flu.
I rock; therefore, I am.

There"s an international trade show I attend 2-3 times a year that should be coming up in a month or so. It will be interesting to see if it gets cancelled.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

The most important habit one can change is touching your face with your hands.

I was already good at opening doors without my hands, getting in and out of clubs with your gear will do that to you.

I've favored extablishments with automatic doors or doors that swing in both directions, both common up here.

Some doors can be opened with your elbow.

People are fairly cautious, reserved and polite up here anyway. Nobody is going to sneeze in your face.

And I've never been a fan of eating at buffets.

As mentioned, CV19 is a virus and viruses mutate into other forms, which is why we end up with a new flu vaccine so often. Where that goes remains to be seen.

Like it or not, this is now a permanent part of our lives. The long incubation period and the mild symptoms that many younger people exhibit make it impossible to diagnose before it spreads.

Before it gets better, it will get much worse.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have no plans to change my routine which pretty much the same everyday. Other than a farmer's market every week the biggest crowd I encounter is at Starbucks. I have thought about going to Long Beach to visit my father, I probably won't do that. I'm not afraid to fly, but I am concerned about getting stuck there if travel is restricted.

Jenny S.

No real change on my part, either. I may buy some more canned soups, that's about all. They're boring, but they last. Anything else, we already have.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

I "snoped" the above quote from Abdu Sharkawy.

They deemed it authentic, spoke to him on the phone.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/abdu-sharkawy-coronavirus/

Viruses mutate, this is a fact. We don't know what the CV19 virus will mutate to but it will mutate.

Overly cautious may cause problems, lack of caution may cause problems, the best course of action lies in the middle.

It seems prudent to have sanitizing wipes on hand.

Don't touch your face unless your hands are sanitized.

Be aware that you can have it and transmit it for many days before your symptoms become noticeable or worse.

And realize that if everybody buys all the toilet paper, you may need some too.

Stores locally have been cleaned out but they do restock and you may be able to get an employee to get some for you.

A friend saw Costco run out at 10:15 am, I was in Fred Meyer (big store with an entire aisle of toilet paper and paper towels - ALL the toilet paper was gone.

They posted signs limiting customers to 5 packages each.

So we cannot ignore the overly-cautious and assume that life will not change. It will.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Just got back last week from Vegas seeing a Dwight Yoakam concert at the Wynn on the strip (which was fantastic). Lots of people at both airports but I only saw 2 people wearing a mask at one of them. When we left, the parking lot was full. When we returned it was empty. I worry more about tourism, airports, boat tours, manufacturing in China, oil wars in Arabia and Russia, wedding/conferences/sporting events/ Olympics/ St. Paddy Parade/ cancellations, etc., (i.e. effects on our economy). Stock markets falling worldwide, countries shutting travel and borders, too much to list. I don't worry about myself or have any plans to change. I will avoid crowded areas until the virus subsides and things start getting back to normal. I just went in for a face peal and will have to stay at home and indoors for the next two weeks, so my self quarantine will happen just in the nick of time and I can't touch my face LOL! Now I'll have more time to spend with my guitar! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I cancelled my trip to Florida next week and used that money on Southwest Air to go home to NJ in the 2020 summer. Only because I got the flue 2x this year, so while I was in the last episode of the flue, I cancelled the Florida trip, for both.reasons and I did not want to transmit the flue to my family in Florida as well. Usually there are fewer communicable diseases in summer, so that trip will be less likely to cause another bout with any virus (More or less).

My wife and I are going with friends to a Steve Hackett concert later this month in the Jacksonville area. In early April we're going with same friends to a large wedding in southern Georgia. We'll take the necessary precautions.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Wife and I have booked a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska for late May. We are watching to see how things develop. I take Humira which lowers the immune system so as that time gets close we will consider if we go or not (assuming they do not cancel).

The D.C. gov't has strongly recommended that any scheduled large public gathering, which they've currently defined as 1000 or more people attending, should be postponed or cancelled altogether. This order is in effect until March 31st. I expect we'll have more follow-up announcements well before the 31st.

One friend had a St. Patrick's Day concert cancelled, in part because it was in a retirement community, so a lot of high-risk residents would have been there. Other friends have already been instructed or permitted to telecommute. It's going to get more interesting before everything settles back down, and yes, I believe things will settle down once there's a better understanding of the virus, although I'm not waiting around for a vaccine to materialize: that could require a good base of recovered patients, to begin with.

I'm surprised we're not hearing reports of people stockpiling liquor?

I'm surprised we're not hearing reports of people stockpiling liquor?

Well, that's just my standard daily practice. Don't need a pandemic for that.

:roll:

Our liquor cart:

16kB2i2.jpg

Our stockpile:

01hgeYD.jpg

Not pictured: pantry or refrigerator contents...

Glad to see someone is thinking ahead. As caterers, we have a ridiculous stash of wines and liquors, as well. Ironically, I've really lost my taste for it in the last year or so?

Here, FWIW, is the official statement from the D.C Health Dept. - I have to wonder how many places or events just squeak under that "1,000 or more . . ." line? Movie theaters, concert venues, IDK? How many people stand on a Metro platform waiting for a train during rush hour? The show we saw the other night was in a venue that holds just under 1,900 people . . . Almost every notable concert venue in the city holds more than 1,000 people.

DC Health Advisory

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

(Washington, DC) â DC Health recommends that non-essential mass gatherings, including conferences and conventions, be postponed or cancelled. Mass gatherings are defined as events where 1,000 or more people congregate in a specific location. We also recommend that any social, cultural, or entertainment events where large crowds are anticipated be reconsidered by the organizer. This recommendation is in effect through March 31.

@ Winston, I haven't lost my taste for booze, but I have slowed way down this last year or so too! I drink about one beer or less a day and I keep at least 30 days in reserve at all times! I have a few bottles of hard liquor on reserve just in case I would rather have a jigger of whiskey... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Despite that impressive display I posted, our family isn"t heavy into drinking. The three members of the family might combine for a drink in a typical week. It"s mostly consumed on special occasions and used for cooking. Those bottles are dusty AF.

But it IS always available for anyone of legal drinking age or express parental permission.

Well, D.C. is pretty much shutting down all events, public gatherings and major concerts. Bunch of friends already report working from home, other local offices are advising people to take their work laptops home at night, in case there's an order to shelter in place.

Fortunately for me, my office is outdoors, and my officemates are insects, birds, deer and the occasional fox. My commute is generally a short drive in a Jeep filled with garden tools. No major plans until next month, so I'll see how things stand then.

@Scott - couple of years back, I worked my way through maybe half a dozen different bottles of Absinthe, with a Kazakh vodka as a palate cleanser. Not looking to restock anytime soon.

Well, D.C. is pretty much shutting down all events, public gatherings and major concerts. Bunch of friends already report working from home, other local offices are advising people to take their work laptops home at night, in case there's an order to shelter in place.

Fortunately for me, my office is outdoors, and my officemates are insects, birds, deer and the occasional fox. My commute is generally a short drive in a Jeep filled with garden tools. No major plans until next month, so I'll see how things stand then.

The last remaining gig in two upcoming tours this month just cancelled, so I'm not flying after all. That's a lot of lost revenue, for the musicians, hotels, airlines, venues, tech crews, eateries, etc. Multiply that by hundreds of acts getting cancelled worldwide & you have an economic s**tstorm, just in the music business alone. So, we basically lost recordings as a source of income over the last decade, now live gigs . . . . This is not good for music.

@Scott - couple of years back, I worked my way through maybe half a dozen different bottles of Absinthe, with a Kazakh vodka as a palate cleanser. Not looking to restock anytime soon.

In Prague some years ago, my lighting designer & I bought a bottle of absinthe, which was a banned substance at that time in the western world. We sat up one night, playing chess & drinking something which tasted as wonderful as an industrial solvent. I feel like that night took a couple years off my life.

Scott Fraser

The last remaining gig in two upcoming tours this month just cancelled, so I'm not flying after all. That's a lot of lost revenue, for the musicians, hotels, airlines, venues, tech crews, eateries, etc. Multiply that by hundreds of acts getting cancelled worldwide & you have an economic s**tstorm, just in the music business alone. So, we basically lost recordings as a source of income over the last decade, now live gigs . . . . This is not good for music.

+1 Scott and SurferGirl

We just flew out to Vegas with 3 other couples to catch a Dwight Yoakam concert to celebrate my 3 buds and me turning 70. Hotel $200, Flight $350, Show $400 about a grand not counting cab fares...Got back on the 5th about a week before this virus sh*t all hit the fan...that was just lucky timing. Only saw two masks at the airports and the parking lot at the airport was pretty empty when we got back. Lots of tours are being cancelled, not to mention all the sports venues... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I am not going to any places with large crowds until I get the vaccines for the flue and Corona Virus (Corona shot should be out in a year or so). I have an airplane trip planned back to NJ for the first week in August. & by that time the flue and Corona should be mostly over for the season. I usually do not get the flue shot, but next fall you can bet I will after 2 bouts with it this season (and it was ugly both times to say the least).

My friend John just called me tonight. The governor in Ohio has declared an emergency:

The Governor"s announcement came on Thursday during a daily briefing, which also included an order banning mass gatherings of more than 100 people in an attempt to limit the spread of coronavirus.

'These orders would not have been issued if this was an ordinary time," DeWine noted. "This is not an ordinary time.'

This includes auditoriums, stadiums, arenas, large conference rooms, meeting halls, cafeterias, or any other confined indoor or outdoor space. This also includes parades, fairs, and festivals. #COVID19OhioReady #COVID19

â Governor Mike DeWine (@GovMikeDeWine) March 12, 2020

I rock; therefore, I am.

Now it's affecting my friends, the World Surf League has canceled or postponed all events in March. I would be surprised if it didn't last longer. Most of the events are Q series, it's kinda like playing the 100 seat theater opposed to the 20,000 seat arena you just hope to make expenses. Ironically the one of the Championship series event canceled was to Corona open.
Jenny S.