Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Tuner Cleaner

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming you use this to clean the pots on guitars and amps?

So it cleans AND lubricates?

In any case, Caig makes excellent products and you can't go wrong with their chemicals.

That said, currently I am using CRC Electrical Grade 2-26 "plastic safe Multi-Purpose Precision Lubricant, Improves Electrical Properties."

I've cleaned the pots on 3-4 guitar amps, they were scratchy sounding and now they are silent. They also turn more easily. So I would recommend it too, found it locally when I needed something.

FWIW, I've always cleaned jacks by tearing off a small piece of 120 grit sandpaper, rolling it up tight and inserting it into the jack. A few spins with a front to back motion and the jack is all shiny again.

I only use Switchcraft jacks, they affordable and last forever with an occasional cleaning.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I ordered the Craig Deoxit D5 from Amazon, and a brand new set of standard JJ Tubes, just because the tubes have to be 4 to 5 years old, and I use the amp almost every day, so it is time.

It is Caig, not Craig, no?

Either way, it is legendary stuff and you can't go wrong.

I'll share a tip about tips! I was trying to reach to open service vent in the pots on a Peavey amp with the pots mounted to the circuit board. That is a difficult spot!!!

So I cut about 1/2" of the stiff red spray tube off the end (use a sharp knife and make a clean cut, do not crush the tube). Then I used heatshrink tubing to add a flexible section. I bent a short piece of G string, taped it firmly to the straight part first and then made a curve of the end of the tube and taped that end.

This gave me a curved extension. I could set the amp chassis in a cupboard above the kitchen counter, put a towel underneath it and a light and maneuver the tip in above the access slot in the pot. It works great, I've cured 4 or 5 old scratchy amps with that and have one in waiting.

Tube sockets can usually be cleaned by inserting and removing a new tube several times. You will want the non-lubrication Caig De-Oxit for cleaning tube sockets and jacks, not the one you use for cleaning pots.

Cheers, Kuru

Keep us posted DBM on how it works for you! Kuru says it's good stuff! :thu:

Caig products have been the gold standard for cleaning and cleaning/lubricating electronics in recording studios for decades on end.

I would recommend adequate ventilation, the vent fan in the bathroom or above the range in the kitchen is probably plenty for a small job.

Should be an easy-peasy slam dunk!

Thanks Kuru, I am just cleaning my Egnater Tweaker pots and switches, and then installing new JJ tubes, the Tweaker Standard Kit, 3 12AX7's with the one 12AX7 balanced for the phase inverter & 2 matched 6V6's. All the stuff should be here next week. I will do the tuner cleaner outside the house as the weather around here is rather mild in the late winter/early spring seasons.