Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPad chart reading app and page turn pedals

I have checked past threads with site:musicplayer.com and want some 2019 information.

I'm considering using an iPad for chart reading and a Bluetooth pedal for page turning. At the present, I'm considering whether I would best with: Onsong, Forscore, possibly unrealbook (from comments on a previous thread).

Onsong would have the advantage that I could convert PDF files from CCLI to the internal format that allows changing the key of the chart. Forscore (more recent) and Unrealbook both have more info on this forum.

With either one, I'd want to have a page turner pedal. Onsong mentions an AirTurn BT-105 (which seems out of production, although a current one would probably work) or a Cicada/Firefly. The Firefly is currently available and a lower priced Butterfly is available (2 switches instead of 4).

Any info on their reliability, or other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Jim

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard a lot of good things about Onsong but I've never tried it. I bought Forscore and a AirTurn BT-105 to use with my iPad 2 about 8 years ago and have been using both since.

Another option software wise, are you guys using Planning Center? If so Planning Center has their own app (Music Stand) that will auto sync with Planning Center.

The AirTurn BT-105 has been discontinued but the DUO 200 is basically the same pedals the same controller, but the controller has buttons to allow you to navigate some stuff.

The only downside with the AirTurn is that you have to plug it in and recharge it. I ended up buying an IK Multimedia Blue Turn in a package deal with an iKlip. It works pretty well and uses AAA Batteries, but I think the AirTurn works a bit better but the Blue Turn is still good.

A friend of mine bought the Cicada and didn't like it. He said it ate batteries, and felt and seemed cheap. However, it does seem like it does get some favorable reviews though. He also said that the Cicada made a bit of noise when you hit it. He said he didn't know if anyone would notice but it was just a bit annoying during quiet moments.

Thanks Rob.

We don't use Planning Center. Thanks for the response. Knowing that the DUO200 will work is helpful. I likely won't order the pedal until after getting the app, using it, and making sure that (after my new glasses are fitted) I can read the charts from the tablet.

Saw this yesterday, but waited to see if there would be other responses before answering.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I've been using OnSong and an Airturn Firefly for at least 5 years now (same pedal, updated the iPad ;) ). Can't say enough good things about it, for my purposes: lyrics, basic chord info, little reminder notes.

I've assisted many people to get OnSong working for their rigs sending out program changes and doing many of the more advanced functions. Easy peasy as long as you take your time and are methodical about it.

OnSong in Night Mode is, for me, perfect, and worth every penny.

Oh, and the Firefly is only two switches, and remarkably more robust than the plastic construction might at first appear. :2thu:

Thanks for the added replies. Special thanks to Sven, who provided reliability answers on the Firefly and good reports on OnSong. Will likely be ordering soon. My new 61 key MIDI controller should be here tomorrow. For not quite as portable, but still very portable (the iKeysPro 37 is even lighter, but runs out of keys for some purposes)

Jim

I've been using OnSong and an Airturn Firefly for at least 5 years now (same pedal, updated the iPad ;) ). Can't say enough good things about it, for my purposes: lyrics, basic chord info, little reminder notes.

I've assisted many people to get OnSong working for their rigs sending out program changes and doing many of the more advanced functions. Easy peasy as long as you take your time and are methodical about it.

OnSong in Night Mode is, for me, perfect, and worth every penny.

Oh, and the Firefly is only two switches, and remarkably more robust than the plastic construction might at first appear. :2thu:

+1 for OnSong and yes, in night mode LOL, its much better that way (black screen, white text btw)

It is a great product. I also use it to send all my MIDI PC changes to my synth apps when I change songs. I do not use a page turner but I think it is compatible with most of them.

• 10 months later...

Just got the AirTurn PEDpro

http://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/f-webp__q-82__ha-175443c77ae44693__hmac-2726839325ae817ac7e6a9d7d30ec77413910de2/images/items/750/PEDPro-large.jpg

and thought I'd post my (very initial) impressions / get any feedback from folks using it. (I'm using the AirTurn PEDpro - or trying to do so - with forScore).

Charger plug

I thought my unit defective as it was impossible to insert the charger. I found, though, that by inserting a kitchen knife (!) below the plug and snapping it up a bit, the charger could (still with difficulty) connect. I've read similar reviews online that the charger is just basically really hard to connect properly. Not a good start!

Page turning

Once charged and paired, I can sometimes get it to properly turn pages, sometimes not... not yet figured out why.

iPad onscreen keyboard

Lastly . . . while paired, I lose my iPad's ability to display its onscreen keyboard. Pull up safari and you have no way to type in a search term. Turn off bluetooth or unpair and keyboard returns! NOT ideal!

I've only spent an hour or so with the device so this all may be user error . . . Anyone getting solid results with the device?

(I hope so, because I really like the form factor!)

Thanks,

Carter

U1 | NP | NS3 | NE3 HP | K10

I bought Setlist maker and a AirTurn BT-105 to use with my iPad 2 about 8 years ago and have been using both since. I also use it to send all my MIDI changes to my keyboards when I change song during gigs. There are a lot of other great apps already mentioned in this thread that do the same. Lots of great choices. Forscore seems to be very popular out this way. Whatever you choose, takes Sven's advice and go to the effort of setting up the App to take advantage of midi capabilities. The time invested will be worth it.

Re: Airturn BT-05. I've always gigged with it plugged into usb power. The battery doesn't hold charge after all these years and i don't really need it to run on batteries.

Just got the AirTurn PEDpro and thought I'd post my (very initial) impressions / get any feedback from folks using it (I'm using the AirTurn PEDpro - or trying to do so - with forScore):

iPad onscreen keyboard:

Lastly . . . while paired, I lose my iPad's ability to display its onscreen keyboard. Pull up safari and you have no way to type in a search term. Turn off bluetooth or unpair and keyboard returns! NOT ideal! - With the Airturn BT-105, to get the ios virtual keyboard back on, i just needed to quickly press the on/off button once. I'm sure there'd be a button on the AirTurn PEDpro that does the same. just check the manual.

I've only spent an hour or so with the device so this all may be user error . . . Anyone getting solid results with the device?

(I hope so, because I really like the form factor!)

Thanks,

Carter