Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We're Getting Popular Enough to Have Spammers!

It's so much fun to ban someone and report them to a central spam repository. Whee!

Sadly, deleting the spammer and all his posts had collateral damage: a post where KuruPrionz translated the original Polish-language post into English. Sorry! I appreciate the effort.

However, I should also warn people new to this forum that sometimes, I have a little fun with the spam. You'll know it when you see it. I almost did it this time, and wanted to follow up KuruPrionz's post with my favorite Google fun: translating into English, then doing successive translations into different languages and back to English. After doing that a half dozen times, the results can be pretty wild :)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so much fun to ban someone and report them to a central spam repository. Whee!

Sadly, deleting the spammer and all his posts had collateral damage: a post where KuruPrionz translated the original Polish-language post into English. Sorry! I appreciate the effort.

However, I should also warn people new to this forum that sometimes, I have a little fun with the spam. You'll know it when you see it. I almost did it this time, and wanted to follow up KuruPrionz's post with my favorite Google fun: translating into English, then doing successive translations into different languages and back to English. After doing that a half dozen times, the results can be pretty wild :)

Don't worry about me, I translated it first out of curiousity and then so it would be obvious that it was spam. And I reported it.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3032726/this-should-be-looked-at-please#Post3032726

Joe Muscara kindly explained to me a faster way to report spam - the Report button on the lower right. So now I know in case it happens again.

"The Great Polish Running Shoe Fiasco on MPN" is now resolved.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

One of the best threads ever in the "classic" version of Sound, Studio, and Stage (IIRC it was during the AOL years) was when a guy strung them along for months. It was incredible. He kept saying he was going to go to Nigeria to give them the money, but then something would always happen at the last minute. He finally started telling tales of woe, and hit them up for airfare, saying he would give them a cut of his massive inheritance to cover it. You could tell they were getting impatient, but it really looked like he was going to con the con men out of some bucks. The guy was brilliant.

It was performance art at its very finest.

Nice.

I am also a member of a modeling/photography website and there are scams there all the time.

Every once in a while, somebody falls for the old "We'll pay you $5,000 with a check and you will pay the hairdresser (etc.) and keep $2k yourself.

So they do and then the orginal check bounces - Duh.

So yeah, they would not keep trying to do it if it did not work.

But it is funny when somebody strings them along!!!! :- D

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Two of my favorite videos on YouTube...James Veitch. Been tempted myself sometimes... :laugh:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=LLiDXjngCfp2bsU_rG6--Vpg&v=_QdPW8JrYzQ

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Uc-cztsJo

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Those videos are excellent! I have to see if I can find the exchange that was on my AOL site back in the day, I have quite a bit of it archived...the scamming of the scammers was actually more involved, and lasted longer, than the examples in the videos. It was truly brilliant.

About ten years ago there was a guy posting on most of the pro audio discussion forums posing as a hopeless pro audio user. He would always start threads requesting help with some inane problem, yet he never reported that he was successful with the tips he was given. He would just string netizens along. It could actually be entertaining reading. People eventually caught on and brushed him off, and no one has heard from him since. He was probably banned, I have heard that there are "shill users" who insert some "adware" covert script into their threads then draw people in to read the threads.

Yes, they pick up pieces of conversations and strung them together - I think it may even have been machine generated, by Pro Tools compression and acoustic monitor treatment of cardioid channel buses.

The other thing are the people with one post who go "This article is most excellent! Wonderful tip!" and of course, when you click on the link...